Expectations for GT Football

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Well, Ron Zook at Florida recruited even better players and somehow managed to get beat at Mississippi State with their players dancing to "Who Let the Dogs Out". Urban Meyer took most of Zook's players and won a national championship with them. Randy Shannon and Al Golden at Miami had their share of recruiting success but fell short in the win column. Just about every coach at Tennessee for the past ten years has had plenty of talent but struggled to beat UGA, Alabama, or Florida. For the past twenty years Virginia Tech has had some recruiting success but nothing in the infamous trophy case. UGA has been in the top 5 in recruiting forever but its been 40 years since they had a national championship. Recruiting is the foundation for any successful college program but it is only the first step.
It’s not just about recruiting rankings you know, it’s about getting stars and getting the evaluations right. While at Texas Brown’s players won a Heisman, 3 Maxwell’s, 2 Davey O’Brien, 2 Doak Walker, Butkus, 2 Thorpe awards and 4 national POY. He had 23 AAs, 37 first team all Big 12, 3 B12 offensive POY, 2 defensive POY and 7 freshman of the year. None of the guys you mentioned have had that level of talent. You have to use them correctly and I never said he sucked as a coach, just that you don’t need to be a genius if you can recruit and have good assistants.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
This is why I love message boards. It’s all opinion. To those who truly believe they are an expert here then all I can say is you do you. I’ll never understand how folks can get so emotional on an anonymous message board. We all love GT and I haven’t seen any post that didn’t have love for GT in it. The only difference is our opinions which really mean nothing even though they are entertaining. And every team‘s message boards are exactly the same as ours, at least those fan bases with a pulse.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I’ll never understand how folks can get so emotional on an anonymous message board.

I believe people get emotional because it IS anonymous. I don't see real adults speaking to each other like people do on the internet or social media.At least not in my circle of friends and acquintances.

The other random thought I had is, remember when we used to laugh smugly about the women and their National Enquirer magazines? I think we did so prematurely. Rumours. gossip, intrigue and innuendo abound on these places. But I guess we do get it for free so there is that.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
It’s not just about recruiting rankings you know, it’s about getting stars and getting the evaluations right. While at Texas Brown’s players won a Heisman, 3 Maxwell’s, 2 Davey O’Brien, 2 Doak Walker, Butkus, 2 Thorpe awards and 4 national POY. He had 23 AAs, 37 first team all Big 12, 3 B12 offensive POY, 2 defensive POY and 7 freshman of the year. None of the guys you mentioned have had that level of talent. You have to use them correctly and I never said he sucked as a coach, just that you don’t need to be a genius if you can recruit and have good assistants.

First, congratulations, you have successfully moved the goal posts.

Second, you are correct, you never said "he sucked as a coach" so you are technically right there. Here is your quote:

Mack doesn’t know how to coach, he knows how to recruit.

I mean, the common inference in not knowing how to coach is that you suck at it, but if you want to play semantics and move goal posts, feel free.

Either way, you've been proven laughably wrong and instead of saying 'my bad' you're doubling down on it.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
First, congratulations, you have successfully moved the goal posts.

Second, you are correct, you never said "he sucked as a coach" so you are technically right there. Here is your quote:

I mean, the common inference in not knowing how to coach is that you suck at it, but if you want to play semantics and move goal posts, feel free.

Either way, you've been proven laughably wrong and instead of saying 'my bad' you're doubling down on it.
Cool I shouldn’t have said he didn’t know how to coach, which by the way I walked back in previous posts. But my main point is that he isn’t CPJ or Fridge who Tech fans hold up as genius coaches. His first 2 years at UNC he was 1-10. Recruiting came first, success followed. He’s clearly a great recruiter and that’s the (not so) secret to his success. That can be CGC’s path as well.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I believe people get emotional because it IS anonymous. I don't see real adults speaking to each other like people do on the internet or social media.At least not in my circle of friends and acquintances.

The other random thought I had is, remember when we used to laugh smugly about the women and their National Enquirer magazines? I think we did so prematurely. Rumours. gossip, intrigue and innuendo abound on these places. But I guess we do get it for free so there is that.
I kinda disagree. My friends and I are comfortable to bust each other’s chops repeatedly and when it comes to sports we definitely disagree on opinions and let each other know it. And none of it is taken personally because we all know in the end the truth always comes out. And none of it affects our day to day life. For instance, at work last week a group of us had some good ribbing about who was gonna win the Tampa/GB game. The back and forth was no different than we all see posted here. Today, the Brady haters took their humble pie like men. And we moved on to the next topic of chop busting.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I think it is a matter of extreme opinions. Some say that the staff doesn't know what they are doing and is doing everything wrong. Some say that the staff hasn't made any mistakes or had any issues whatsoever. Instead of looking at what the staff does well and what they need to be better at, people argue the extremes and discount anything that even hints at weakness in their extreme argument. It should be possible to have a discussion about what the staff does well and what the staff needs to do better at without ending up in a heated argument about who is anti-this or pro-that. Unfortunately in the current climate noone is willing to discuss reality because admitting that the coaches do some things well, or that the coaches make some mistakes gives some credence to the other side.
Amen

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
5-6 wins
1. Improved discipline (that’s paramount)
2. A much improved defense with Collins being much more hands on.
3. A run first versatile and explosive offense as an identity. Should have a lot of weapons with a much better grasp of the offense.
4. Adequate special teams play.
AGREE 110 % ( not really possible, but you know what I mean :p ) I just feel some urgency about this , and some see a longer trajectory......I get it.

Last edited:

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
This is why I love message boards. It’s all opinion. To those who truly believe they are an expert here then all I can say is you do you. I’ll never understand how folks can get so emotional on an anonymous message board. We all love GT and I haven’t seen any post that didn’t have love for GT in it. The only difference is our opinions which really mean nothing even though they are entertaining. And every team‘s message boards are exactly the same as ours, at least those fan bases with a pulse.
Nailed it !!:gt::buzz: The worst thing we can do as fans is having a circular firing squad !

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow

Sports are reality shows for men.

5-6 wins
1. Improved discipline (that’s paramount)
2. A much improved defense with Collins being much more hands on.
3. A run first versatile and explosive offense as an identity. Should have a lot of weapons with a much better grasp of the offense.
4. Adequate special teams play.
Not sure you are going to get number 3 until we get a new O coordinator and change schemes. Which also means number 2 will be tough

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
After further review, my expectations/hopes ( at this point about 60/40% ) for GT football over the next 4 years, ASSUMING WE HAVE THE SAME HC:
2021 - 5-6, no bowl
2022 - 8-5 , middling bowl
2023 - 9-4 , better bowl
2024 - 11-2 ACC playoff, good bowl
How's that for getting specific ?

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
After further review, my expectations/hopes ( at this point about 60/40% ) for GT football over the next 4 years, ASSUMING WE HAVE THE SAME HC:
2021 - 5-6, no bowl
2022 - 8-5 , middling bowl
2023 - 9-4 , better bowl
2024 - 11-2 ACC playoff, good bowl
How's that for getting specific ?
I agree pretty much except bowl next year. By 2024, if we are still getting blown out by Clemson and Georgia and don’t win 10+, the entire AD and staff needs to be purged.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Not sure you are going to get number 3 until we get a new O coordinator and change schemes. Which also means number 2 will be tough

We were pretty balanced in the run/pass game. Almost 200 yards of rushing per game with almost 200 yards of passing.

Teams we had more rushing yards per game than:

Alabama
Oklahoma
OK State
NAVY!
Penn State
UGA
Oregon
Wisconsin
Clemson

Who would have thought after CPJ left we would still be pretty good in the rushing game? We most definitely need to improve in the passing game and being more efficient when we have the ball. We were in the 90's in terms of passing yards/game and in the 70's for efficiency. We also need to cut down on turnovers, and given Sims will be in his 2nd year, his INTs hopefully get cut down. Given that the modern game is about passing the ball, we really should be in the 250-300 yards/game territory.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Who would have thought after CPJ left we would still be pretty good in the rushing game?

Considering the amount of RBs on our roster and the lack of more traditional route-running WRs and TEs, I was pretty sure it would be our strength.

Edit to add I agree with your broader point, though. CGC and CDP have done a credible job of working around our strengths this year, even if it doesn't show in the win column.