Expansion Talk 2021

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I understand that. Here’s the deal - the SEC made a move to strengthen their conference. The other conferences instead of strengthening their conferences are now just trying to hurt the SEC.
Every move strengthens one player/group of players and weakens the others, your strength as a conference is measured relative to the others so its impossible for this not to be the case. Do you not think the SEC knew that adding Texas and OU would strengthen their position by weakening others (primarily the Big 12 but all other conferences as well)? There's a finite amount of pie, if you want more you have to take it from someone else. Quit putting the SEC on a pedestal and acting like they have some moral high ground here.

Maybe Swofford should make Notre Dame and Penn State an offer they couldn’t refuse.
Maybe sit down, stop talking, and educate yourself since you don't even know who the ACC commissioner is.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I understand that. Here’s the deal - the SEC made a move to strengthen their conference. The other conferences instead of strengthening their conferences are now just trying to hurt the SEC. I see a difference between the 2 moves. It’s like a youth basketball league where one kid is a freaking baller so the parents of the other teams try and have the league say the kid should play in a higher age bracket because it’s not “fair”. They are mad at the dad who taught his kid to dribble and shoot and now they want to not play that team. I saw this several times when my kids were growing up. As the coach my parents were coming and telling me we should just forfeit rather than watch this kid hang 40 on us. I tried to tell them nicely that that kid did nothing wrong in being good.

The reports are that the other conferences are basically trying to organize a boycott and not play the mean SEC. How about just rise to their level. If the ACC announced tomorrow that they were adding Penn State, Notre Dame, and Nebraska would y’all be happy or say we shouldn’t do it without the other conferences yes vote?
There is no information at this point to suggest that the other conferences are boycotting the SEC. In fact sources are saying the opposite:
Sources reiterated to CBS Sports that the 40 schools comprising the Big Ten, ACC and Pac-12 wouldn't "boycott" the SEC in terms of nonconference scheduling, but their foremost goal would be to pursue "their own interests" with an alliance.
Calm down. Its ok if the other conferences do things to help themselves as well. Nobody is trying to hurt your conference.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Every move strengthens one player/group of players and weakens the others, your strength as a conference is measured relative to the others so its impossible for this not to be the case. Do you not think the SEC knew that adding Texas and OU would strengthen their position by weakening others (primarily the Big 12 but all other conferences as well)? There's a finite amount of pie, if you want more you have to take it from someone else. Quit putting the SEC on a pedestal and acting like they have some moral high ground here.

Maybe sit down, stop talking, and educate yourself since you don't even know who the ACC commissioner is.
Yeah, I know the ACC hired a Big 10 guy. But Swofford has been running this thing for years. And I’ve never said the SEC has any moral high ground. They are a bunch of redneck schools who don’t play education. But since we are on a football message board you better believe they are in charge. This isn’t a research message board or an engineering message board. It’s a football board and in case you haven’t the SEC has bragging rights just like we have bragging rights when it comes to actual education.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
You’ve put in a lot of work in this thread to make little to no progress. I and many others reading your posts don’t even understand what point you’re trying to make. Do you know the SEC commissioner? Do you get a cut of his paycheck if you convince more people to bow at his feet? The only reason the SEC made moves to get OU and Texas was because ESPN was working behind the scenes to increase their own payouts because the Big 12’s TV deal also included FOX. Getting OU and TX to the SEC is a sure fire way to increase their own profits, and it’s no coincidence that there was work going on behind the scenes to expand the playoff right before the OU and TX moves were brought to light. Their goal was to get the expanded playoff approved and then get OU and TX. As far as other conferences are concerned, the alliance would be to limit the amount of power the SEC and ESPN have over the total landscape of college athletics, because they’ve already shown their hands and their goals for the big picture. I genuinely don’t understand why you’re so passionate about calling other conferences morons and babies when you aren’t an “SEC homer.” Maybe take a look at TV ratings from the last few years. The other conferences draw just as many viewers as the SEC does. A lot of times the B1G dominates the SEC. that’s why their media contract is currently the most valuable in the country.
I’m not trying to make any progress. I’m just chilling at the house waiting for 2 more weeks to go by to watch GT football. I’m not, and non pe of us, are trying to solve anything. And the reason I’m passionate about calling our conference and others babies and morons is because any of us who have paid attention and watched the chess match the past 20 years has seen the SEC check mate everyone over and over. Whose championship game is a mile from an ACC school in the largest city in the south and seen as the the marquee game? And what did our boy Swofford do? He put his game in his own backyard to appease the North Carolina cabal.

I don’t like the SEC as a conference because I despise what they’ve done regarding educatio, but as a football product it’s freaking awesome and their marketing is outstanding as others have noted. They pay their coaching staffs more and they get a much larger percentage of high end high school players. The ACC needs to be proactive before they lose FSU and Clemson. Those 2 schools alum actually care about football so they won’t stick in a league that isn‘t moving forward.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
So? He's gone now and has no bearing on this new alliance, which seems to have you in a tizzy. The PAC-12 has a new guy as well. Past poor decisions do not prevent you from making better decisions in the future.
Maybe this new guy will turn out not to be a moron and beholden to the Carolina mafia. Actions will determine that. So far, on his watch the SEC pulled off a heist and he never saw it coming if you believe the reports.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I’m not trying to make any progress. I’m just chilling at the house waiting for 2 more weeks to go by to watch GT football. I’m not, and non pe of us, are trying to solve anything. And the reason I’m passionate about calling our conference and others babies and morons is because any of us who have paid attention and watched the chess match the past 20 years has seen the SEC check mate everyone over and over. Whose championship game is a mile from an ACC school in the largest city in the south and seen as the the marquee game? And what did our boy Swofford do? He put his game in his own backyard to appease the North Carolina cabal.

I don’t like the SEC as a conference because I despise what they’ve done regarding educatio, but as a football product it’s freaking awesome and their marketing is outstanding as others have noted. They pay their coaching staffs more and they get a much larger percentage of high end high school players. The ACC needs to be proactive before they lose FSU and Clemson. Those 2 schools alum actually care about football so they won’t stick in a league that isn‘t moving forward.
Clemson is in a great position. Why in the world would they want out of the ACC (right now.. or near future)? They are all but assured a spot in CFB playoff before season starts. If they chose to go to SEC or other (elite) conglomerate... their odds of doing that diminish substantially. They couldn't care less (or much) about the ACC's "status" until it impacts their bottom line. & for now their bottom line is booming.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I’m not trying to make any progress...And the reason I’m passionate about calling our conference and others babies and morons is because any of us who have paid attention and watched the chess match the past 20 years has seen the SEC check mate everyone over and over.
This is the most bizarre illogical thought process I've ever heard of for a supposed SEC hating GT fan.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
So you tell me, which conference has made the most progress with their athletics the last 20 years? The SEC dominates football and baseball. The ACC use to dominate hoops, now not so much. I wish the ACC dominated all 3 sports and I wish GT won Nattys in all 3 last year. But I’m not a bad fan if I don’t live in a fantasy world. The SEC over the past 20 years has grown their conference, won National Titles in all 3 major sports multiple times, secured a TV network available every where, pays high end coaches, and gets the lions share of high end football players. And they continue to make their conference stronger.

I guess I could simply say the SEC sucks and that would make me a good GT fan.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
So you tell me, which conference has made the most progress with their athletics the last 20 years? The SEC dominates football and baseball. The ACC use to dominate hoops, now not so much. I wish the ACC dominated all 3 sports and I wish GT won Nattys in all 3 last year. But I’m not a bad fan if I don’t live in a fantasy world. The SEC over the past 20 years has grown their conference, won National Titles in all 3 major sports multiple times, secured a TV network available every where, pays high end coaches, and gets the lions share of high end football players. And they continue to make their conference stronger.

I guess I could simply say the SEC sucks and that would make me a good GT fan.
Sir, could you please remove the SEC nuts from your mouth? Thanks

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
The SEC has 14 teams in it.

I still don't understand [fan] allegiance to a conference.

I hate more ACC teams than SEC. Both (all P5) conferences doing well probably is good for GT in big scheme of things.

Are we (GT folk) envious of Arkansas or Vandy or Miss St?.. I could keep going through about 80% of the SEC. I say no... I'm not.

Likewise... the ACC is full of programs I want to suck every year.

I understand the need to affiliate with a group of teams that will most help Ga Tech... the ACC is not perfect; but better than most.

The SEC envy is weird to me.