Expansion Talk 2021

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Are the things the SEC is doing only benefitting them? Is it also damaging other teams? Is it also putting them into a position of more power where they could eventually dictate to every other team what to do?

You say you have lived your entire life in the Southeast. Do you believe that people in Ohio live and die by SEC football? Do people in Wisconsin pay more attention to Alabama then they do the Badgers? Do people in Eugene say that Pac12 football is irrelevant, and that they only watch the SEC? You are believing the marketing image that the SEC has painted for itself.

If the other conferences believe that the SEC is trying to take over college football, then why should they not try to make themselves more attractive to fans. When Walmart enters a small town, should the local hardware, grocery, and tire stores welcome them to the local board of commerce and advertise for them, or should they work together to make the hometown store seem like a better alternative to the townspeople?
I have no problem with these other conferences trying to do something. But its going to fail because the SEC is the big dog and TV knows it. So, let the weaklings try something. I just find it comical that many of you actually believe that conferences who are run by idiots can actually do anything. They’ve been having their lunch eaten by the SEC for years so I laugh when they try and act tough. As for fans, the Midwest fans have become use to watching mediocre football so now instead of playing Purdue they’ll get to play a Wake Forest or NC State. Yeah, I’m sure the SEC is real worried. I can see this so called idea backfiring and the last remaining real teams leave for the SEC like Ohio State, Clemson, and Oklahoma.
I grew up in the south and have watched the SEC all my life. What they do well is self promotion. As matter of fact, they are a self- promoting hype machine. They were a little brother conference for decades with only Alabama getting any regular national attention. But, fake it until you make it. Anyone who doesn’t believe other conferences can get into the fake / hype game doesn’t understand marketing and self promotion. This can work. Just watch.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I’ve never said the other mediocre conferences shouldn’t try to do something, Its a free country so they can and are trying to do something. I just don’t think whatever they try will work. These are the same idiot commissioners who have sat by and done nothing but collect their fat paychecks for years.
You should travel more, get about and see the rest of the country. I'm southeastern born and raised. But I'm not naïve enough to think that the Southeast has some preordained right to college football dominance like some type of The South's Going To Rise Again fantasy. Frankly, the only reason the SEC has become a powerhouse in college football is that the rest of the country is too busy to care. Seriously. Now that there's real money involved I'm guessing you are about to see how it works in the rest of the country.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I grew up in the south and have watched the SEC all my life. What they do well is self promotion. As matter of fact, they are a self- promoting hype machine. They were a little brother conference for decades with only Alabama getting any regular national attention. But, fake it until you make it. Anyone who doesn’t believe other conferences can get into the fake / hype game doesn’t understand marketing and self promotion. This can work. Just watch.
What they do well, better than anyone is get eyeballs watching their games. The 4 million viewers was the make for premium prices for the networks paying conferences. The SEC basically beat all others combined. BIG was a distant second with the rest basically not relevant. ND did bring value to the ACC as they generally hit the 4M mark on 1-2 of the games played in ACC stadiums.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Are we approaching an "anarchy" phase? What control does NCAA actually have over TV & scheduling? If a group of teams & schools can organize to do whatever they choose.. what can NCAA really do to stop them?

The NCAA has had basically zero control over NCAA Div 1-A football for a couple of decades. They have no control over scheduling, no control over money (they receive $0 for Div-1 college football, almost all their money comes from March Madness). That is all controlled by the P5 conferences and their deals with their TV partners.

The NCAA's only role is to basically certify that players are eligible to play and to provide the appearance of policing activity outside the rules (which it really doesn't do much of) so that the general public doesn't realize how tilted the field is.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Well trying to lock the SEC out is just yet another dumb decision by conferences run by morons. The southeast is the heart beat of college football. Heck, college ball has basically evaporated in large swaths of the country. So if a bunch of below mediocre to mediocre teams want to take a stand that will ultimately be a so what move then fine. I’m not an SEC homer before some of y’all claim that, but I’ve lived my entire life in the southeast and I’ve watched the the SEC commissioner run circles around every other conference my entire life. You can hate them but you gotta admire them. They are the best at football and have taken over college baseball like a boss. I can’t understand why everyone is so upset with a conference doing things like expanding that benefits them. Every other conference is just acting like babies right now.
This is a positive development for the long term health of GT sports. It's confusing why you are so upset about it.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
If the SEC is excluded, it is also possible that the Southeast will go nutso about the SEC, and the rest of the country will not care.

I think you are missing the fact that you are in the Southeast and you are inundated with SEC fans from all sides. You hear about the SEC constantly. People in the Midwest do not. People in the Northeast do not. People in the West do not. Many parts of the country don't live and die by the 3:30 CBS game. Many parts of the country think that SEC fans are simpleton rednecks who don't know about anything else but football.
I know all that. Remember, you are not arguing with me. I’m not a SEC homer. But I’m a smart enough guy to see that the SEC has run circles around everyone. They win the big games and sign the premier players. Did you not just see the NFL draft? The SEC dominated the 1st round. I wish it was the ACC, but unlike the SEC, our conference is run by guys who have been happy with the status quo. And when they did “make a move” they brought in a several Big East teams known for basketball.

As for fans in the Midwest, northeast, and out west, they have done nothing to bring pressure to their conferences to get better. They have accepted mediocrity. That’s on them not the SEC. Why didn’t the Big Ten get Texas and Oklahoma? Or the PAC 12? Or the ACC? Because they didn’t even try. Now y’all want to get mad at the SEC for strengthening their conference. It just doesn’t make sense.

Last edited:

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I know all that. Remember, you are not arguing with me. I’m not a SEC homer. But I’m a smart enough guy to see that the SEC has run circles around everyone. They win the big games and sign the premier players. Did you not just see the NFL draft? The SEC dominated the 1st round. I wish it was the ACC, but unlike the SEC, our conference is run by guys who have been happy with the status quo. And when they did “make a move” they brought in a several Big East teams known for football.

As for fans in the Midwest, northeast, and out west, they have done nothing to bring pressure to their conferences to get better. They have accepted mediocrity. That’s on them not the SEC. Why didn’t the Big Ten get Texas and Oklahoma? Or the PAC 12? Or the ACC? Because they didn’t even try. Now y’all want to get mad at the SEC for strengthening their conference. It just doesn’t make sense.
Mad? Who's mad? Unwilling to accept it. Sure. But I'm not mad. Good on'em if we let them get away with it. But I'm not one to look at a challenge and say "Wow. That looks tough. I'm out." What we are saying is that we AREN'T going to stand pat and accept it. What I can't figure is why anyone who is not a SEC homer would be suggesting that we just give up.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
This is a positive development for the long term health of GT sports. It's confusing why you are so upset about it.
I am not upset at all. I find all the handwringing quite amusing. The SEC commissioner pulled the pants down of his counterparts and now they are locked away trying to come up with an answer. It’s actually pretty amusing. I have no idea how it will affect GT, but what’s funny is that if the SEC sent an offer our way GT would accept in less than 30 seconds and all of you would be rejoicing (as would I).

Last edited:

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Mad? Who's mad? Unwilling to accept it. Sure. But I'm not mad. Good on'em if we let them get away with it. But I'm not one to look at a challenge and say "Wow. That looks tough. I'm out." What we are saying is that we AREN'T going to stand pat and accept it. What I can't figure is why anyone who is not a SEC homer would be suggesting that we just give up.
I never said give up. There is nothing to give up. The SEC added 2 top tier teams and everyone is freaking out. Maybe Swofford should make Notre Dame and Penn State an offer they couldn’t refuse. But we all know the ACC only cares about who is replacing Roy and K. Our conference, outside Clemson football, regarding athletics has become a joke under Swofford. And we allowed it to happen so I’m not holding my breath for these geniuses to come up with a workable plan.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I am not upset at all. I find all the handwringing quite amusing. The SEC commissioner pulled the pants down if his counterparts and now they are locked away trying to come up with an answer. It’s actually pretty amusing. I have no idea how it will affect GT, but what’s funny is that if the SEC sent an offer our way GT would accept in less than 30 seconds and all of you would be rejoicing (as would I).
"All-Yall" must not mean everyone. I wouldn't. You happen to live in Southwest GA, I'm assuming (if not then why the tag?) Come to Atlanta. You'll see that the town is full of people who root for schools from all across the country. At least the northern subs are...every other bar is an OSU, Michigan, Oregan gathering spot. Sure. There's not much else going on in SW Ga than football and hunting. I'm not against that. Grew up that way myself. But don't assume the rest of the country...or even GA...is still like that...and where it still is seems to be changing fast. Florida has hung a "No Vacancy" sign, so GA is catching the overflow.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I am extremely confused about what you are attempting to say. If the other conferences make some moves to counteract what the SEC is doing, you say they are acting like babies. If they do nothing, you say they are morons. They either have to do something, or do nothing. Your diatribe sounds like guys drinking at a bar and being boisterous.

Why do you believe that everyone is "mad" at the SEC? If a business competitor does something that might impact my company, I should take moves to counteract them. I don't have to be "mad" at them in order to do that.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
"All-Yall" must not mean everyone. I wouldn't. You happen to live in Southwest GA, I'm assuming (if not then why the tag?) Come to Atlanta. You'll see that the town is full of people who root for schools from all across the country. At least the northern subs are...every other bar is an OSU, Michigan, Oregan gathering spot. Sure. There's not much else going on in SW Ga than football and hunting. I'm not against that. Grew up that way myself. But don't assume the rest of the country...or even GA...is still like that...and where it still is seems to be changing fast. Florida has hung a "No Vacancy" sign, so GA is catching the overflow.
I hear you. And just FYI, I live down here because I use to live in ATL and NYC. I was in NYC. last week and I’m in ATL often for work. The other conferences just have very little leverage. The only top tier teams not in the SEC are Clemson and Ohio State. Oregon can’t even dominate a conference that could care less. And if they do come up with a plan to not play the SEC then what do you think high end players will do after they’ve grown up watching drafts dominated by the SEC. My opinion is if they do try and squeeze the SEC out then that will play right into the SEC’s hands and you’ll see the SEC grab Clemson, Ohio State, Florida State, and others who want to play big boy football.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I never said give up. There is nothing to give up. The SEC added 2 top tier teams and everyone is freaking out. Maybe Swofford should make Notre Dame and Penn State an offer they couldn’t refuse. But we all know the ACC only cares about who is replacing Roy and K. Our conference, outside Clemson football, regarding athletics has become a joke under Swofford. And we allowed it to happen so I’m not holding my breath for these geniuses to come up with a workable plan.
Maybe they deserve a little more credit than that. When they brought in Miami and VPI, the erroneous consensus was that the ACC was now a super-conference.
Now they've got Notre Dame on the line, but it remains to be seen whether they can reel them in.
They've made some mistakes. Louisville was a clunker. And they got into big northeastern media markets with relatively little interest in college sports.
But they're trying.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I am extremely confused about what you are attempting to say. If the other conferences make some moves to counteract what the SEC is doing, you say they are acting like babies. If they do nothing, you say they are morons. They either have to do something, or do nothing. Your diatribe sounds like guys drinking at a bar and being boisterous.

Why do you believe that everyone is "mad" at the SEC? If a business competitor does something that might impact my company, I should take moves to counteract them. I don't have to be "mad" at them in order to do that
I understand that. Here’s the deal - the SEC made a move to strengthen their conference. The other conferences instead of strengthening their conferences are now just trying to hurt the SEC. I see a difference between the 2 moves. It’s like a youth basketball league where one kid is a freaking baller so the parents of the other teams try and have the league say the kid should play in a higher age bracket because it’s not “fair”. They are mad at the dad who taught his kid to dribble and shoot and now they want to not play that team. I saw this several times when my kids were growing up. As the coach my parents were coming and telling me we should just forfeit rather than watch this kid hang 40 on us. I tried to tell them nicely that that kid did nothing wrong in being good.

The reports are that the other conferences are basically trying to organize a boycott and not play the mean SEC. How about just rise to their level. If the ACC announced tomorrow that they were adding Penn State, Notre Dame, and Nebraska would y’all be happy or say we shouldn’t do it without the other conferences yes vote?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I understand that. Here’s the deal - the SEC made a move to strengthen their conference. The other conferences instead of strengthening their conferences are now just trying to hurt the SEC. I see a difference between the 2 moves. It’s like a youth basketball league where one kid is a freaking baller so the parents of the other teams try and have the league say the kid should play in a higher age bracket because it’s not “fair”. They are mad at the dad who taught his kid to dribble and shoot and now they want to not play that team. I saw this several times when my kids were growing up. As the coach my parents were coming and telling me we should just forfeit rather than watch this kid hang 40 on us. I tried to tell them nicely that that kid did nothing wrong in being good.

The reports are that the other conferences are basically trying to organize a boycott and not play the mean SEC. How about just rise to their level. If the ACC announced tomorrow that they were adding Penn State, Notre Dame, and Nebraska would y’all be happy or say we shouldn’t do it without the other conferences yes vote?
You’ve put in a lot of work in this thread to make little to no progress. I and many others reading your posts don’t even understand what point you’re trying to make. Do you know the SEC commissioner? Do you get a cut of his paycheck if you convince more people to bow at his feet? The only reason the SEC made moves to get OU and Texas was because ESPN was working behind the scenes to increase their own payouts because the Big 12’s TV deal also included FOX. Getting OU and TX to the SEC is a sure fire way to increase their own profits, and it’s no coincidence that there was work going on behind the scenes to expand the playoff right before the OU and TX moves were brought to light. Their goal was to get the expanded playoff approved and then get OU and TX. As far as other conferences are concerned, the alliance would be to limit the amount of power the SEC and ESPN have over the total landscape of college athletics, because they’ve already shown their hands and their goals for the big picture. I genuinely don’t understand why you’re so passionate about calling other conferences morons and babies when you aren’t an “SEC homer.” Maybe take a look at TV ratings from the last few years. The other conferences draw just as many viewers as the SEC does. A lot of times the B1G dominates the SEC. that’s why their media contract is currently the most valuable in the country.

slugboy

Staff member
Scheduling is just part of the puzzle, and not the most important part. This is partially “the NCAA is fading away, what’s the new world of college athletics going to be?” and “hey, we don’t want to just be an NFL minor league, how can we keep the parts of college athletics that we love?” planning session.
Ohio State doesn’t want to go to a playoff with 1 B1G team (them) and 12 SEC teams. As much as a lot of us don’t like College Athletics being run out of Indianapolis, even more people don’t want it run out of Birmingham.

Two of the three are brand new.

⬆️ This is true