Expansion Talk 2021

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
you can’t tell the SEC not to poach The Alliance though. How many Alliance schools leave for The SEC 6 seconds after the invite ? If this turns into a war The SEC can start paying buy outs for other schools right now. What’s Clemson owe to leave The ACC ? Done ! The new SEC TV revenue and some kind of partial repayment plan from Clemson is all that’s needed. If the SEC wants to end this fast they can.

it’s long term suicide to declare war with The SEC. This issue calls for a guerrilla campaign. Time will tell if The Alliance is serious though. If the Big 10 and PAC 12 renegotiate TV deals exclusively for themselves then the biggest issue still separates the conferences and that’s money. The Alliance has to share it to beat the SEC and to share it they have to give The ACC a way out of its current TV deal Before 2036.
And that’s why this talk of the Alliance is just silliness. They won’t be able to balance the money amongst themselves let alone keep their teams from going to the SEC. The Alliance is doomed to fail before it even starts.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yes because nothing ever changes, no schools ever get better again or drop off and get worse. Everything has always been exactly the same as it’s always been. /s

USC, Stanford, Oregon will rise again, probably not all at the same time. Michigan, Michigan St, Penn St will all rise again. FSU, Miami, VT will rise again. This alliance allows the schools the time and resources to stay relevant for the cycle to continue.
Well the only way to rise up is to get better players and pay for better coaches. The high end players will go to the SEC even more so than they do now if it’s a clear break with two different systems. And the west coast and Mich, Mich St, and Penn State won’t rise again to elite. They simply do not have the players to recruit from. Maybe USC, but the problem those west coast schools have is they are run by people who are not willing to invest the money into infrastructure or coaches. Not to be political, but those schools admins would be fine with no sports. College football is becoming a regional sport which is why the southern schools in the SEC and ACC led the charge to have a season last year. Schools like Michigan, Ohio State, and Oregon are the outliers and I can see all three jumping to the SEC if a break happens. The best solution would be if the Big bowed up and started grabbing up southern teams like GT, Clemson, FSU, Miami, VT, etc to form a 2nd super conference. But they won’t because they are stuck in a mindset from 40 years ago.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
you can’t tell the SEC not to poach The Alliance though. How many Alliance schools leave for The SEC 6 seconds after the invite ? If this turns into a war The SEC can start paying buy outs for other schools right now. What’s Clemson owe to leave The ACC ? Done ! The new SEC TV revenue and some kind of partial repayment plan from Clemson is all that’s needed. If the SEC wants to end this fast they can.

it’s long term suicide to declare war with The SEC. This issue calls for a guerrilla campaign. Time will tell if The Alliance is serious though. If the Big 10 and PAC 12 renegotiate TV deals exclusively for themselves then the biggest issue still separates the conferences and that’s money. The Alliance has to share it to beat the SEC and to share it they have to give The ACC a way out of its current TV deal Before 2036.
If the ACC wants to enter into a deal with the SEC instead of the B1G/PAC-12 then the terms begin with evening out the money and no poaching teams from each other. Otherwise they can piss off and side up with the B1G and Pac-12. The alliance could set their own playoff up, put it on their own networks and make a ton of money. People will pay to watch Clemson, ND, Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Oregon, USC, etc... in a playoff. If the SEC wants to isolate itself, then let them.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Right now it is a $50 million buyout, plus media rights thru 2036. If we assume the media rights are $30 million per year (actually lower than what it is right now so that I am not accused of inflating things), that is $450 million at the moment. So Clemson would owe $500 million to leave the ACC. The SEC can't just write a check for that.

If Clemson were to try to leave, there would probably be lawsuits and negotiation involved on their part to try to reduce that and on the ACC's part to try to enforce the full amount. Lawsuits are unpredictable.
This pretty much sums it up. Some seem to think the SEC can just buy whoever they want. It doesn't really work that way. In all honesty, after the OU, TX deal, there aren't many other options outside of the remaining Big 12 teams. They can't afford ACC teams for the time being and I seriously doubt they would get any interest from Big 10 or Pac 12 teams.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Well the only way to rise up is to get better players and pay for better coaches. The high end players will go to the SEC even more so than they do now if it’s a clear break with two different systems. And the west coast and Mich, Mich St, and Penn State won’t rise again to elite. They simply do not have the players to recruit from. Maybe USC, but the problem those west coast schools have is they are run by people who are not willing to invest the money into infrastructure or coaches. Not to be political, but those schools admins would be fine with no sports. College football is becoming a regional sport which is why the southern schools in the SEC and ACC led the charge to have a season last year. Schools like Michigan, Ohio State, and Oregon are the outliers and I can see all three jumping to the SEC if a break happens. The best solution would be if the Big bowed up and started grabbing up southern teams like GT, Clemson, FSU, Miami, VT, etc to form a 2nd super conference. But they won’t because they are stuck in a mindset from 40 years ago.
We have heard your drivel before. What was it first? SEC POWERRRRR!!!!!, then SEC SPEEEEEEED!!!!!!!, now it is SEC!!!!!!, SEC!!!!!!!, SEC!!!!!!!!. Ohio State has some players, but they don't have any SEC PLAYERS!!!!!. A walkon from an SEC team would be a starter in any other conference. If a Big12 team joins the SEC, they would be lucky to win 5 games a year against an SEC SCHEDULE!!!!!!!!

Every one of your posts sounds like a Finebaum show, or one of the nutjobs off of 680. You are living in an alternate reality where all life revolves around SEC FOOTBALL.

slugboy

Staff member
Right now it is a $50 million buyout, plus media rights thru 2036. If we assume the media rights are $30 million per year (actually lower than what it is right now so that I am not accused of inflating things), that is $450 million at the moment. So Clemson would owe $500 million to leave the ACC. The SEC can't just write a check for that.

If Clemson were to try to leave, there would probably be lawsuits and negotiation involved on their part to try to reduce that and on the ACC's part to try to enforce the full amount. Lawsuits are unpredictable.
From what I’ve seen, the buyout is three years of conference distributions, or about $100 million.
Where are you seeing $50 million?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
From what I’ve seen, the buyout is three years of conference distributions, or about $100 million.
Where are you seeing $50 million?
It was just off the top of my head, so I was probably thinking about old numbers. I think that is what it was when Maryland left, so that is probably where I remembered it. If the buyout is now $100 million. Then the total buyout including media rights would be over $550 million. That is a lot of money.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
We have heard your drivel before. What was it first? SEC POWERRRRR!!!!!, then SEC SPEEEEEEED!!!!!!!, now it is SEC!!!!!!, SEC!!!!!!!, SEC!!!!!!!!. Ohio State has some players, but they don't have any SEC PLAYERS!!!!!. A walkon from an SEC team would be a starter in any other conference. If a Big12 team joins the SEC, they would be lucky to win 5 games a year against an SEC SCHEDULE!!!!!!!!

Every one of your posts sounds like a Finebaum show, or one of the nutjobs off of 680. You are living in an alternate reality where all life revolves around SEC FOOTBALL.
I still remember watching Finebaum after Clemson destroyed Alabama. About the only time I ever deliberately tuned into him. We went from shocked and speechless for the first several hours to eventually saying Clemson was not a true champion yet because they had not learned how to win yet -after Clemson beating Alabama twice.

Yep, you got to hand it to the SEC hype machine, they stay on message no matter what. Now Finebaum is saying the alliance of the three conferences is “embarrassing.” 😂

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer

The other thing that the gumps don’t realize is that people can make a choice with their eyeballs and fingers. If people around the country boycott the SEC and no longer watch(eyeballs) and go off on the SEC on social media(fingers) about how they have ruined college athletics /football then the powers that be (ESPN) will have to come up with something different. It happened with the Ultra Premier football league in Europe. If you lose 75% of the fans that watch, what do they have? Bupkus

Sure there will be all the people in the south watching but you need eyeballs across the country. That’s the goal of the alliance and how you can galvanize the rest of the country to say…

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I would point out that you’ve continued to make this argument (bolder) without the proper context it was in. They tried to delay the start of the season to avoid having to reschedule/postpone/get their member schools sick/handle massive case counts during a global pandemic.

Michigan and Ohio State aren’t looking to lose their football programs. Neither are Wisconsin and Nebraska. Nor Penn State or Iowa. Or, or, or..

It’s disingenuous to say that their conference was trying to exit the sport. They had a different approach to how to handle a global pandemic with a highly transmissible disease that as of the time was still being understood.

Additionally, I’m not sure that the middle tier down of the SEC is that different from the B1G or ACC. It’s hard to know with any certainty but by my eye they’re not. So yes the Bama/LSU/Jowja group looks good but they the only three I think have a shot at a conference title there.

The SEC will starve itself of oxygen if it plays only itself. I am NOT for scheduling Freezeouts with the SEC, I wanna keep COFH, would love to play at MissSt, wouldn’t mind playing Bama (in seasons we don’t play Clemson regular season), etc. I want to see more regional games that have students and fans driving to tail gate. That’s the experience college has that the pros don’t replicate.

What I HOPE would come from the alliance idea is:

1) Protecting regionalism in college sports (which also allows non revenue sports to continue to function without ballooning travel budgets that cause reduction of sport opportunities).

2) Creating some actual teeth to academic progress and requirements for athletes

3) Giving the schools of the Alliance a better collective bargaining position

4) Potentially driving ND into a conference (which would be us due to the other stipulations in the existing partnership agreement we have with them for non football teams)
Well said

BilldGopher

Jolly Good Fellow
Came across this CFN article on The Grand Alliance by Pete Fiutak.

Here's the link: https://collegefootballnews.com/202...ce-expansion-college-football-daily-cavalcade

Basically says the future is conference deals with Hulu and Amazon for streaming FB content. I concur. The part of my Comcast bill going to ESPN and others is not going to last. Comcast does however let me seamlessly go to Hulu and Amazon and Disney+ now...just a click of my Xfinity changer. Makes complete sense for the future $$$ deals to go that direction. Keeps the codgers like me and lets everyone else stream on their phones.

I apologize Mods if this is already up in the thread...

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer

You are ridiculous and lack the ability to think outside your own thoughts. If you refuse to see how dominant the SEC is in football then you probably also believe UGA’s engineering programs are on par with GT’s. And while life doesn’t evolve around football, on a football message board it pretty much does.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
… (part of quote I am referring to for clarity) And while life doesn’t evolve around football, on a football message board it pretty much does.
You mention a really interesting point to me about this discussion being couched in the football forum. I don’t know what kind of crossover we have between boards. I spend 75% of my time in either football or basketball when only one of those are in season and probably split the time between those two in the off season or overlap.

I’ve struggled with keeping my comments on Football only in this thread, but have tried because I don’t want to make the Mod’s difficult jobs and harder. That said I do think the comments about SEC breaking away are undervaluing March Madness and the College World Series. It’s a lot to suggest that they’ll make decisions off football only, football first certainly - but to the complete detriment of all other programs? Seems too far of a stretch for me.

Again, I’m not advocating for the alliance schools to freeze out the SEC, just to claw back some of the power and a sublimated return of the “College Athletics” experience off the backs of football powerhouses with limited to no academic integrity. While we are at it, the ACC has it’s own issues with the academic topic too. So not saying our noses are entirely clean either.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

This all day long, it is way too expensive to poach schools from the ACC or Big, not sure about the .PAC but I imagine they are similarly protected

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
The SEC makes enough in three years to pay every dime of a Clemson ACC exit, it’s only a matter of desire. A structured agreement with Clemson with a cheaper “buy back” would make it cheaper for The SEC.

basic business expenses. Trade one year of profit for 20 years of bigger profit. I know it doesn't work exactly like this but folks thinking the SEC can’t take whoever they wish aren’t looking at the big picture. Paying for any teams exit fee is a one year budgetary hit to a conference making 650 a year, right now. If Clemson or whoever agreed to pay 1/4 of that then the SEC destroys the Alliance and jacks their profit margins up at the same time. Im supposing the buyout is cheaper for Big 10 and PAC 12 teams on a per year rate, since their deals are coming up on renewal and not 15 years away. So the Alliance could ultimately kill the ACC, whose teams aren’t as easily “purchased” by the SEC

its the US vs the Sudan in an arms race. folks Are kidding themselves if you think the SEC can be frozen out. BCS Championship Series without them ? never gonna happen, TV alone won’t allow it. People from Dallas to Central Florida to Kentucky simply turn their TVs off after Thanksgiving.

ultimately the entire Alliance is betting that the product they produce is more interesting/watchable than the SEC and that’s a huge gamble for the mid to lower tier Alliance schools. I argue the better gamble for North Carolina, Fla State, Wisconsin, Minnesota etc is to just join the SEC outright and put 70 million a year in their pockets.

it’s been an off year let’s give the schools some help
https://www.al.com/sports/2021/05/s...ion-to-members-due-to-covid-lost-revenue.html

i missed it if The ACC did this, did they ?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
The SEC makes enough in three years to pay every dime of a Clemson ACC exit, it’s only a matter of desire. A structured agreement with Clemson with a cheaper “buy back” would make it cheaper for The SEC.

basic business expenses. Trade one year of profit for 20 years of bigger profit. I know it doesn't work exactly like this but folks thinking the SEC can’t take whoever they wish aren’t looking at the big picture. Paying for any teams exit fee is a one year budgetary hit to a conference making 650 a year, right now. If Clemson or whoever agreed to pay 1/4 of that then the SEC destroys the Alliance and jacks their profit margins up at the same time. Im supposing the buyout is cheaper for Big 10 and PAC 12 teams on a per year rate, since their deals are coming up on renewal and not 15 years away. So the Alliance could ultimately kill the ACC, whose teams aren’t as easily “purchased” by the SEC

its the US vs the Sudan in an arms race. folks Are kidding themselves if you think the SEC can be frozen out. BCS Championship Series without them ? never gonna happen, TV alone won’t allow it. People from Dallas to Central Florida to Kentucky simply turn their TVs off after Thanksgiving.

ultimately the entire Alliance is betting that the product they produce is more interesting/watchable than the SEC and that’s a huge gamble for the mid to lower tier Alliance schools. I argue the better gamble for North Carolina, Fla State, Wisconsin, Minnesota etc is to just join the SEC outright and put 70 million a year in their pockets.

it’s been an off year let’s give the schools some help
https://www.al.com/sports/2021/05/s...ion-to-members-due-to-covid-lost-revenue.html

i missed it if The ACC did this, did they ?
What does Clemson give them the SEC for that kinda money that they don’t already have?