Expansion Talk 2021

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Could the other conferences be working to essentially lockout the SEC on scheduling?
Yes. And by negotiating with ESPN and/or whomever as more of a block. And maybe by voting in any NCAA consistently to keep the SEC from dictating terms. And by getting their Congressmen to start looking hard at the line between being a public institution and a for-profit enterprise.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Could the other conferences be working to essentially lockout the SEC on scheduling?
I absolutely think this is the way to go. It locks the SEC out of any games with the remaining 3 Power 5 Conferences (assuming the Big 12 is either gone or moves more towards a G5 status). It does blow up so very long term rivalries (GT - Georgia, FSU - Florida, SC - Clemson, Kentucky - Louisville). But I think for the bigger picture of countering the SEC, it makes sense. The scheduling commitments could be very interesting to combine league schedules with scheduling games with the Big 10 and Pac 12. The other possibility is the 3 conferences all go to 16 teams to sweep up 8 more key schools and any further make this a two horse race.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
They should lockout the SEC and create a playoff system that excludes the SEC. Have the ACC, Big10, Pac12, and a representative from the G5 schools. The G5 schools could decide how to pick their rep. The P3 could have 11 regular season games, a conference semi-final (national eighth-final), and conference championship game (national quarter-final). The P3 teams not in the conference semi-final could have an at-large game to make the 12th game and provide an opportunity to qualify for bowls if they are still around. The conferences would get money for the national eighth-finals and quarter finals. The CFP could be more interesting. Imagine the national Cinderella hype around Houston/UCF/Cincinnati/etc. competing against Clemson, Ohio State, and Oregon. The SEC would be having the same games every year with Alabama/LSU/Florida/mutts competing for their national Southeastern championship.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Well trying to lock the SEC out is just yet another dumb decision by conferences run by morons. The southeast is the heart beat of college football. Heck, college ball has basically evaporated in large swaths of the country. So if a bunch of below mediocre to mediocre teams want to take a stand that will ultimately be a so what move then fine. I’m not an SEC homer before some of y’all claim that, but I’ve lived my entire life in the southeast and I’ve watched the the SEC commissioner run circles around every other conference my entire life. You can hate them but you gotta admire them. They are the best at football and have taken over college baseball like a boss. I can’t understand why everyone is so upset with a conference doing things like expanding that benefits them. Every other conference is just acting like babies right now.

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
I can’t understand why everyone is so upset with a conference doing things like expanding that benefits them. Every other conference is just acting like babies right now.
You can understand why the SEC does thing that benefit themselves, but other conferences trying to do things to protect their interests or benefit themselves is acting like babies? The SEC literally was the main impetus for ESPN trying to blow up the Big 12 television deal. Are the Big 10, ACC and Pac 12 supposed to just play nice until the SEC grabs the next 2 teams and blows up more deals?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Well trying to lock the SEC out is just yet another dumb decision by conferences run by morons. The southeast is the heart beat of college football. Heck, college ball has basically evaporated in large swaths of the country. So if a bunch of below mediocre to mediocre teams want to take a stand that will ultimately be a so what move then fine. I’m not an SEC homer before some of y’all claim that, but I’ve lived my entire life in the southeast and I’ve watched the the SEC commissioner run circles around every other conference my entire life. You can hate them but you gotta admire them. They are the best at football and have taken over college baseball like a boss. I can’t understand why everyone is so upset with a conference doing things like expanding that benefits them. Every other conference is just acting like babies right now.
Are the things the SEC is doing only benefitting them? Is it also damaging other teams? Is it also putting them into a position of more power where they could eventually dictate to every other team what to do?

You say you have lived your entire life in the Southeast. Do you believe that people in Ohio live and die by SEC football? Do people in Wisconsin pay more attention to Alabama then they do the Badgers? Do people in Eugene say that Pac12 football is irrelevant, and that they only watch the SEC? You are believing the marketing image that the SEC has painted for itself.

If the other conferences believe that the SEC is trying to take over college football, then why should they not try to make themselves more attractive to fans. When Walmart enters a small town, should the local hardware, grocery, and tire stores welcome them to the local board of commerce and advertise for them, or should they work together to make the hometown store seem like a better alternative to the townspeople?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
You can understand why the SEC does thing that benefit themselves, but other conferences trying to do things to protect their interests or benefit themselves is acting like babies? The SEC literally was the main impetus for ESPN trying to blow up the Big 12 television deal. Are the Big 10, ACC and Pac 12 supposed to just play nice until the SEC grabs the next 2 teams and blows up more deals?
Well, didn't the ACC blow up the big East? It's dog eat dog.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
They should lockout the SEC and create a playoff system that excludes the SEC. Have the ACC, Big10, Pac12, and a representative from the G5 schools. The G5 schools could decide how to pick their rep. The P3 could have 11 regular season games, a conference semi-final (national eighth-final), and conference championship game (national quarter-final). The P3 teams not in the conference semi-final could have an at-large game to make the 12th game and provide an opportunity to qualify for bowls if they are still around. The conferences would get money for the national eighth-finals and quarter finals. The CFP could be more interesting. Imagine the national Cinderella hype around Houston/UCF/Cincinnati/etc. competing against Clemson, Ohio State, and Oregon. The SEC would be having the same games every year with Alabama/LSU/Florida/mutts competing for their national Southeastern championship.
TV partners would never allow this

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
So then you agree that the remaining conferences should work to ensure that the SEC doesn't collapse them also? Or do you advocate that if there is a big dog in the room that all of the other dogs should just wait to get eaten?
No, I was just pointing out that we did the same thing, and would do it again if it would benefit us and we could.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
No, I was just pointing out that we did the same thing, and would do it again if it would benefit us and we could.
And unlike @SOWEGA Jacket seems to indicate, the remaining PX conferences should do everything they can to ensure that the SEC doesn't get so powerful that they alone make all of the decisions.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think they'd try to 'lock out' the SEC from scheduling or especially the playoffs. But... they'd have the votes to block a 12-team playoff and move to it being only conference champions. Which would prevent the SEC from getting multiple teams in and undermine the whole thesis of the SEC adding teams.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Are the things the SEC is doing only benefitting them? Is it also damaging other teams? Is it also putting them into a position of more power where they could eventually dictate to every other team what to do?

You say you have lived your entire life in the Southeast. Do you believe that people in Ohio live and die by SEC football? Do people in Wisconsin pay more attention to Alabama then they do the Badgers? Do people in Eugene say that Pac12 football is irrelevant, and that they only watch the SEC? You are believing the marketing image that the SEC has painted for itself.

If the other conferences believe that the SEC is trying to take over college football, then why should they not try to make themselves more attractive to fans. When Walmart enters a small town, should the local hardware, grocery, and tire stores welcome them to the local board of commerce and advertise for them, or should they work together to make the hometown store seem like a better alternative to the townspeople?
I have no problem with these other conferences trying to do something. But its going to fail because the SEC is the big dog and TV knows it. So, let the weaklings try something. I just find it comical that many of you actually believe that conferences who are run by idiots can actually do anything. They’ve been having their lunch eaten by the SEC for years so I laugh when they try and act tough. As for fans, the Midwest fans have become use to watching mediocre football so now instead of playing Purdue they’ll get to play a Wake Forest or NC State. Yeah, I’m sure the SEC is real worried. I can see this so called idea backfiring and the last remaining real teams leave for the SEC like Ohio State, Clemson, and Oklahoma.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
And unlike @SOWEGA Jacket seems to indicate, the remaining PX conferences should do everything they can to ensure that the SEC doesn't get so powerful that they alone make all of the decisions.
I’ve never said the other mediocre conferences shouldn’t try to do something, Its a free country so they can and are trying to do something. I just don’t think whatever they try will work. These are the same idiot commissioners who have sat by and done nothing but collect their fat paychecks for years.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Not arguing with that.
Just pointing out that everyone is looking after their own self interest, and that the ACC did the same thing back when it was sitting in the catbird seat. Dog eat dog.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Are we approaching an "anarchy" phase? What control does NCAA actually have over TV & scheduling? If a group of teams & schools can organize to do whatever they choose.. what can NCAA really do to stop them?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I have no problem with these other conferences trying to do something. But its going to fail because the SEC is the big dog and TV knows it. So, let the weaklings try something. I just find it comical that many of you actually believe that conferences who are run by idiots can actually do anything. They’ve been having their lunch eaten by the SEC for years so I laugh when they try and act tough. As for fans, the Midwest fans have become use to watching mediocre football so now instead of playing Purdue they’ll get to play a Wake Forest or NC State. Yeah, I’m sure the SEC is real worried. I can see this so called idea backfiring and the last remaining real teams leave for the SEC like Ohio State, Clemson, and Oklahoma.
If the SEC is excluded, it is also possible that the Southeast will go nutso about the SEC, and the rest of the country will not care.

I think you are missing the fact that you are in the Southeast and you are inundated with SEC fans from all sides. You hear about the SEC constantly. People in the Midwest do not. People in the Northeast do not. People in the West do not. Many parts of the country don't live and die by the 3:30 CBS game. Many parts of the country think that SEC fans are simpleton rednecks who don't know about anything else but football.