Execution

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
They once again pretty much controlled the running game. Coverage of screen passes was still spotty, at best, but if not for those 2 JT fumbles, we COULD have won the game.

I appreciate you and your contribution, but if we allow a TD with 1 p.a.t. on every drive, we COULD win the game with TD and 2pt p.a.t.

The standard for a "pretty good game" has to be higher imo.

I appreciate you and your contribution, but if we allow a TD with 1 p.a.t. on every drive, we COULD win the game with TD and 2pt p.a.t.

The standard for a "pretty good game" has to be higher imo.
The defense gave up 21 points. Our offense gave them 14. Their defense gave up 21 points too and should have been 28 if not for the non-interference call at the end.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The defense gave up 21 points. Our offense gave them 14. Their defense gave up 21 points too and should have been 28 if not for the non-interference call at the end.

Thank-you, but I know this.

Our D gave up 21 with 2 fewer drives than they faced. When we remember that their last 2 drives occurred with a 2 TD lead at the end of the game, it lessens the significance imo.

I agree that I wish our O was good enough to score every time we had the ball. I disagree that allowing a TD every other possession is in any way good enough on D. Miami's O is not UNC or Pitt.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Being somewhat bored at the half, I decided to watch our defense carefully in the 3rd quarter. We ran one blitz. One. With one guy (so, not an all out blitz).

It's awfully hard to force turnovers if you are sitting back in a prevent/bend but don't break vanilla defense.

I also noticed we did not shift once NOT ONE SINGLE TIME, after lining up in our standard defensive alignment. There was absolutely NO attempt to confuse or interfere with their QB's head.

I am over it with this defensive philosophy. I just HATE it. Give me an attacking, blitzing, aggressive defense. It will certainly get beat from time to time for big plays, but it is the ONLY way to really knock the ball loose and get something started. You would think down 2 TD's in the 3rd quarter you might take some chances. Not us!

Color me disgusted. I am over it entirely.

We run a complicated offense and a simple defense. Our offense is complicated ALL the time and our defense is simple A L L the time.

Blitz thats impossible as we have run base dl stay infront of your guy then read defense for 7 years. There is no gap for blitz The oc know this and run a conservative offense.

We are finally getting enough dl talent to be effective AND we are rotating them to keep them fresh. Wish once in a while we could do a shift to gap alignment. Kerge would be very effective

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
On a positive note I witnessed an improvement in O execution (we were able to move the ball inside and outside with a mix of crisp short passes), although we made several O mistakes which cost us the game. On a negative note I continue to witness the same three weaknesses in our team's performance: No pass rush (except for Simmons), spotty tackling in space, and no WR separation. I would hope that after so much time of these being obvious weaknesses that we would see some improvement.

We did see some good short pass execution early in the game, but when we got behind late we reverted to a predictable habit of slinging long passes to WRs who were well covered.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
On a positive note I witnessed an improvement in O execution (we were able to move the ball inside and outside with a mix of crisp short passes), although we made several O mistakes which cost us the game. On a negative note I continue to witness the same three weaknesses in our team's performance: No pass rush (except for Simmons), spotty tackling in space, and no WR separation. I would hope that after so much time of these being obvious weaknesses that we would see some improvement.

We did see some good short pass execution early in the game, but when we got behind late we reverted to a predictable habit of slinging long passes to WRs who were well covered.
In the past we've has wr's who could win contested balls so separation wasn't as big an issue. Now we have guys who can't separate or win one-on-ones. We also had wr's who could take a smoke route pass, give a stiff arm and be gone. But a smoke route requires a cushion. Now we see tons of press because there's no worry of getting beat deep. Maybe we just need to play our freshmen wr's, assuming they're faster, and take our lumps as they cut their teeth.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I agree ^2.

When I was trying to get a texas recruit (tall big er to be considered by gt (no brsd stewart) I heard that philpott was big and fast. He for sure is big.

Our pass blocking (with its newly learned holding techiques) is good. The qb sees the field when he rolls out and he is accurate . IMO if we stretch the field the receptions will be less contested

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
When is the last time we have seen an opposing QB sacked from behind forcing a fumble? Marcordes vs NCST on the road? It has been a while. I want to see us hammer the QB and shake the ball loose. Plays like that flip a game.
jinx......double jinx.