Execution

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Lately, I've been thinking about execution. Particularly, OL execution. Particularly, blown assignments. A lot has been posed about what happened in the trenches vs Clemson. Either we didn't go to the right guy (blown assignment/mental error) or we went to the right guy, but just whiffed the block (physical error). Coach said in his presser that it was plenty of both.

The way I see it, these are not independent things. Imo, missing assignments (mental errors) are caused, in large part, by repetitive physical errors. One doesn't perform in a vacuum. Why don't we know our assignments? Why do we get it right in practice, but not in games? What gives? Is the system too complicated?

The answer is simple. It's much harder to execute mentally when you're getting dominated or challenged physically. The physical beating took a significant toll on our mental capacity. We're not exactly perfect against less physical/athletic defenses, I get that, but when dealing with the frustration associated with not being able to do your job even when you get it right, it becomes that much harder to get it right the next time.

Imo, exhaustion, frustration and eroded confidence played a huge roll on why we failed so badly mentally. I also think these things increase physical mistakes because technique tends to go by the wayside, too.

Another major contributor was the ol' deer in headlights reaction. The stage was just a little too big for some of our guys. We saw this at ND last year, as well. This is where youth and inexperience hurts. The more big stages you play, the less effect this has.

The good news is I don't think we ever lost heart, effort, will or determination. We continued to battle and won a few. As CMS said, we did it right some, just not enough and not 3 times in a row. I'm hoping we get it right a lot more vs the Canes.

Last edited:

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Maybe, but the job needs to get done.

And, per CPJ, this seems to be going on regardless of the opponent. Even dating back to 2014.

I think there is more to the final analysis than your well thought out ideas.

rosebud78

Georgia Tech Fan
Agree with ya cheese. I liked how Coach said, all that rah rah crap goes out the window when you get punched in the mouth the first time. Reminds me of an army saying, everybody's got a plan, till that first shot rips past your ear.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think cheese's idea here is the best guess I've read as to why this seems to happen against Clem and last year, Notre Dame. I think speed is the biggest part of it, that is, playing against defensive players who are faster by far than any they see in practice.

Lately, I've been thinking about execution. Particularly, OL execution. Particularly, blown assignments. A lot has been posed about what happened in the trenches vs Clemson. Either we didn't go to the right guy (blown assignment/mental error) or we went to the right guy, but just whiffed the block (physical error). Coach said in his presser that it was plenty of both.

The way I see it, these are not independent things. Imo, missing assignments (mental errors) are caused, in large part, by repetitive physical errors. One doesn't perform in a vacuum. Why don't we know our assignments? Why do we get it right in practice, but not in games? What gives? Is the system too complicated?

The answer is simple. It's much harder to execute mentally when you're getting dominated or challenged physically. The physical beating took a significant toll on our mental capacity. We're not exactly perfect against less physical/athletic defenses, I get that, but when dealing with the frustration associated with not being able to do your job even when you get it right, it becomes that much harder to get it right the next time.

Imo, exhaustion, frustration and eroded confidence played a huge roll on why we failed so badly mentally. I also think these things increase physical mistakes because technique tends to go by the wayside, too.

Another major contributor was the ol' deer in headlights reaction. The stage was just a little too big for some of our guys. We saw this at ND last year, as well. This is where youth and inexperience hurts. The more big stages you play, the less effect this has.

The good news is I don't think we ever lost heart, effort, will or determination. We continued to battle and won a few. As CMS said, we did it right some, just not enough and not 3 times in a row. I'm hoping we get it right a lot more vs the Canes.
And then there is the famous quote from Coach John McKay during the Buccaneers' 0-26 start in the NFL. When asked what he thought about the team's execution, he deadpanned, "I'm in favor of it."

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I don’t necessarily think it’s the speed of the opposing team I think it’s just the overall speed of the game. We may know what we’re doing in practice but as soon as we hit real game speed we can’t make our decisions quick enough.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
My only concern is that, it seems this has become a trend with tougher teams last year and this year against Clemson. What has changed in regards to the execution from 2014 to now, why is is this team is having a much harder time executing against tougher opponents than before? Are these younger players just not as physical or just not understanding the offense as well?

Execution and Missed assignments seems to be the main reason why our offense has struggled, and I hope CPJ has a way to turn this around

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think cheese's idea here is the best guess I've read as to why this seems to happen against Clem and last year, Notre Dame. I think speed is the biggest part of it, that is, playing against defensive players who are faster by far than any they see in practice.
Agree, but speed is just part of it. It's the whole physical gamut: speed, quicks, strength, power. It's hard to win one-on-ones, even when you know who to hit and how to hit him, when these things are not in your favor. I also think some of our newer guys aren't playing as "fast" as they can or will down the road because they're still building confidence in their knowledge and ability.

Knowing what to do and being able to use that knowledge instinctively in the heat of battle are two totally different things. The latter is born out of confidence which is born out of experience.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
My only concern is that, it seems this has become a trend with tougher teams last year and this year against Clemson. What has changed in regards to the execution from 2014 to now, why is is this team is having a much harder time executing against tougher opponents than before? Are these younger players just not as physical or just not understanding the offense as well?

Execution and Missed assignments seems to be the main reason why our offense has struggled, and I hope CPJ has a way to turn this around
If you ask CPJ, he'll tell you the OL wasn't a gang of supermen in '14. The supporting cast was a huge part of the O success. But I'd say the biggest missing piece from that line is Shaq Mason. Not only was he darn good himself, but he made everybody else better around him.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
I think our OL lacks fundamentals when we are overpowered at the line. Sorry but Navy hangs in with talent that is by far more superior than what they have. Execution is definitely a part of this but fundamentally I saw when too many of them diving at LB legs rather than walling them off. The playside backer in particular was blowing our plays up. Our guy was there to make the block but failed to at times lay a hand on him.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think our OL lacks fundamentals when we are overpowered at the line. Sorry but Navy hangs in with talent that is by far more superior than what they have. Execution is definitely a part of this but fundamentally I saw when too many of them diving at LB legs rather than walling them off. The playside backer in particular was blowing our plays up. Our guy was there to make the block but failed to at times lay a hand on him.
Navy starting OL:
6'2" 295
6'5" 312
6'3" 295
6'2" 327
6'6" 300

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
They don't lack size but the whole point a lot of tech fans want to state is that our 3*s are outmanned by 4*s and 5*s. I'm not going to look into what the star rating for Navys offensive line is but they have 2-Sr 2-Jr and 1-So. While we are starting 1-Sr, 2-Jr, and 2-So. So not much difference in experience. Technique is where I am seeing the largest difference. Some of our best OL had to use technique to defeat someone who was more athletic. Look at what Sean Bedford was for us. Not a big guy at all but a true technician.

WrexRacer

Georgia Tech Fan
Who is in charge of making the calls on the OL? Is it the center? Is it a Freddie problem?

We seems to be doing better since we dropped the no huddle signal in the plays from last year. I don't think our OL got but about 1/3 of the calls last year.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer

Proper positioning for a block is essential and speed is a huge factor changing blocking angles to your advantage. When you take an angle anticipating to block someone a couple yards downfield (e.g. an a-back running an arc as a lead blocker) but they are already in your backfield before you can turn up, the angles don't work as well and often the play is defeated. I played DE in high school against many wishbone teams and not allowing the blocking "a-back" to position himself properly against me was key. In the Clemson game, often the safety flew to the ball so quickly that it required the a-back to take them on earlier and at a bad angle.