Execution

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I see the same thing on D but every week I watch teams with really talented aggressive D’s give up tons of points and big plays even against teams with not so great offenses. I can’t quite figure out whether I actually want a more aggressive D or not. I do at least want to us with better blitz techniques when we do blitz.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
The defense has been playing the run tough and not giving up the big pass plays. Clemson was definitely not clicking on offense and all our other opponents don't really have a heartbeat on that side. We will see going forward how well our defense plays. I think they have been playing well personally. At least they look like they are communicating better and playing their assignments better.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I see the same thing on D but every week I watch teams with really talented aggressive D’s give up tons of points and big plays even against teams with not so great offenses. I can’t quite figure out whether I actually want a more aggressive D or not. I do at least want to us with better blitz techniques when we do blitz.

It depends on the QB. Last week, Watson is looked upon as dual threat so I would pick my spots attack on attacking him while playing mostly zone. This week with Kaaya, since he's primary a drop back QB, I would attack him a little more. Im going to put those 3 RBs of in bind and see how well they pass protect. Im going to force the 1 on 1 throw to the outside, bc unlike Clemson, Miami's WR hands are not as reliable. I would rather a purpose defense instead of particular style.

Jmonty71

Banned
Thanks for the posts and advice.

Here are 2 things I would like to see.

1. When we play a QB that bases a lot of timing with the WR. Which Kaaya does. We need to run a 2 deep defense w/ the DB's on the WR's on bump and run coverage. Here's why? First, it throws the timing off. It makes the QB think about throwing and gives the DL a little extra time to apply pressure. If the WR is released. The safety will need to move over to assist.

2. Pre snap movement. I mean really?? You move a LB up and back early in the count? What does that do? How about line everyone up on the line, fake the blitz. It will force Kaaya to audible. If anything, it will confuse him. Right now... Having the same base defense over and over, confuses no one. As I was taught. 1/2 of defense is "smoke and mirrors" or deception. You show one thing, but do something else. It forces bad called plays, forces offensive mistakes and confuses the other team.

I think those 2 things would be a great improvement. Just some added thoughts.

LloydC

Georgia Tech Fan
It depends on the QB. Last week, Watson is looked upon as dual threat so I would pick my spots attack on attacking him while playing mostly zone. This week with Kaaya, since he's primary a drop back QB, I would attack him a little more. Im going to put those 3 RBs of in bind and see how well they pass protect. Im going to force the 1 on 1 throw to the outside, bc unlike Clemson, Miami's WR hands are not as reliable. I would rather a purpose defense instead of particular style.
@Ibeeballin Best avatar yet

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for the posts and advice.

Here are 2 things I would like to see.

1. When we play a QB that bases a lot of timing with the WR. Which Kaaya does. We need to run a 2 deep defense w/ the DB's on the WR's on bump and run coverage. Here's why? First, it throws the timing off. It makes the QB think about throwing and gives the DL a little extra time to apply pressure. If the WR is released. The safety will need to move over to assist.

2. Pre snap movement. I mean really?? You move a LB up and back early in the count? What does that do? How about line everyone up on the line, fake the blitz. It will force Kaaya to audible. If anything, it will confuse him. Right now... Having the same base defense over and over, confuses no one. As I was taught. 1/2 of defense is "smoke and mirrors" or deception. You show one thing, but do something else. It forces bad called plays, forces offensive mistakes and confuses the other team.

I think those 2 things would be a great improvement. Just some added thoughts.

This past spring, CPJ talked about the need to disguise our defenses better and put more pressure on the QB. I almost called in to the radio show on Monday to ask whether we had been doing that to his satisfaction so far.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
This past spring, CPJ talked about the need to disguise our defenses better and put more pressure on the QB. I almost called in to the radio show on Monday to ask whether we had been doing that to his satisfaction so far.
Well, they are not doing it to my satisfaction. That's for sure. I want us to get in Kaaya's grill and put his tail on the ground. If we can hit him a few times, he just might start unloading that football a little bit quicker.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Okay, so let me continue this digression just a bit more.

I remember that during the 2012 Sun Bowl against USC the commentators repeatedly talked about what Charles Kelly was doing with our DBs to confuse their QB's reads. I don't remember hearing that kind of comment about our defense since then.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Okay, so let me continue this digression just a bit more.

I remember that during the 2012 Sun Bowl against USC the commentators repeatedly talked about what Charles Kelly was doing with our DBs to confuse their QB's reads. I don't remember hearing that kind of comment about our defense since then.
Eh, CCK is down at FSU getting death threats from the FSU faithful.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I'm in bizarro world in this forum recently.
Well, the times are definitely strange. In the old days, a 7 point lead was better than a pond full of catfish. Now, you got teams like Ole Miss and Florida giving away 21 point half time leads. The offenses definitely have the upper hand in most college games. The really elite teams have defenses that are a notch or two above the rest of us. I think it all goes back to putting pressure on the quarterbacks. The factories, by and large, can apply pressure without too much in the way of blitzing which makes things a whole lot easier for the DBs.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
When is the last time we have seen an opposing QB sacked from behind forcing a fumble? Marcordes vs NCST on the road? It has been a while. I want to see us hammer the QB and shake the ball loose. Plays like that flip a game.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
When is the last time we have seen an opposing QB sacked from behind forcing a fumble? Marcordes vs NCST on the road? It has been a while. I want to see us hammer the QB and shake the ball loose. Plays like that flip a game.

Being somewhat bored at the half, I decided to watch our defense carefully in the 3rd quarter. We ran one blitz. One. With one guy (so, not an all out blitz).

It's awfully hard to force turnovers if you are sitting back in a prevent/bend but don't break vanilla defense.

I also noticed we did not shift once NOT ONE SINGLE TIME, after lining up in our standard defensive alignment. There was absolutely NO attempt to confuse or interfere with their QB's head.

I am over it with this defensive philosophy. I just HATE it. Give me an attacking, blitzing, aggressive defense. It will certainly get beat from time to time for big plays, but it is the ONLY way to really knock the ball loose and get something started. You would think down 2 TD's in the 3rd quarter you might take some chances. Not us!

Color me disgusted. I am over it entirely.

Being somewhat bored at the half, I decided to watch our defense carefully in the 3rd quarter. We ran one blitz. One. With one guy (so, not an all out blitz).

It's awfully hard to force turnovers if you are sitting back in a prevent/bend but don't break vanilla defense.

I also noticed we did not shift once NOT ONE SINGLE TIME, after lining up in our standard defensive alignment. There was absolutely NO attempt to confuse or interfere with their QB's head.

I am over it with this defensive philosophy. I just HATE it. Give me an attacking, blitzing, aggressive defense. It will certainly get beat from time to time for big plays, but it is the ONLY way to really knock the ball loose and get something started. You would think down 2 TD's in the 3rd quarter you might take some chances. Not us!

Color me disgusted. I am over it entirely.
And yet, overall, the D played a pretty good game today.