Excitement for the 2022 Season

Knoxknight

Georgia Tech Fan
Good lord. The schedule is hard because we suck, not because it’s actually hard. Sure, just like every year we play Clemson and UGA. But outside of those it’s not that hard. Sure, we’ll lose a bunch of them but that’s because of us not them. Seriously now, UGA and Clemson are in a different tier. Ole Miss is what we should be which is a ranked team with a 8-10 win ceiling. The Coastal is a joke and we are near the bottom of that joke. FSU is a mirror of us with Norvell. UCF will be tough to beat again not because they are special but because we can’t cover WR’s until we prove we can cover WR’s. You want to see hard schedules, look at Auburn, Ole Miss, and Vandy. We play in one of the weakest divisions in P5 so I laugh when folks say we have a hard schedule.
UCF woodshedded us at home last time we played them. Playing them in their stadium could get ugly.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
@SOWEGA Jacket

Another reputable site debunking your claims that our schedule isn't that hard, but that we just suck that bad. Cmon man, at some point you just need to stop spewing nonsense.
It’s a tough schedule. If our goal is running the table, it’s excruciating.
It’s also quite top heavy and (here comes the reason for excitement... sticking with the theme of the thread) our goal is not an undefeated season. So.... there are absolutely still 6 wins here. Can this team go get them? Remains to be seen, but there are wins here. Any given Saturday with the right circumstances there could be another surprise or two.
I’m on record saying Ole Miss is surprise #1.
The hardest part of this schedule is that our margin for error is pretty small. There are 2-3 games we almost can’t win. There are another 2-3 we likely don’t win. Barring any really good surprises, That leaves us somewhere in the neighborhood of 7-8 opportunities to make or break a successful season. I think we’re good enough to find some wins in those games but the way the schedule shakes out, we may need a 4-5 game winning streak after a slow start. That’s a tall order.

kalld12

Banned
It’s a tough schedule. If our goal is running the table, it’s excruciating.
It’s also quite top heavy and (here comes the reason for excitement... sticking with the theme of the thread) our goal is not an undefeated season. So.... there are absolutely still 6 wins here. Can this team go get them? Remains to be seen, but there are wins here. Any given Saturday with the right circumstances there could be another surprise or two.
I’m on record saying Ole Miss is surprise #1.
The hardest part of this schedule is that our margin for error is pretty small. There are 2-3 games we almost can’t win. There are another 2-3 we likely don’t win. Barring any really good surprises, That leaves us somewhere in the neighborhood of 7-8 opportunities to make or break a successful season. I think we’re good enough to find some wins in those games but the way the schedule shakes out, we may need a 4-5 game winning streak after a slow start. That’s a tall order.
Oh I absolutely agree with you. We CAN win 6 games this year, but as always it will come down to X's and O's, Jimmies and Joe's, and gameday strategy execution. I'm excited for the season and I have faith we will win 6 games.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Something I keep coming back to is that Jeff Sims has the raw athleticism to be a real standout QB in conference this season. He just needs to develop. I think bringing in CCL and Chris Weinke, along with Jim Chaney is going to afford him the best chance he has yet had to become who he can be. Not to mention an improved OL going into year 3 that hopefully stays healthy enough to avoid the random game of musical chairs we had to play last year.

Starting at the beginning, let's take a casual look at his stats:

YearCMPATTCMP%YDSAVGTDINTLNGRTG
Year 1 | 202014125754.91,8817.3131359122.9

In Year 1, we were a hot mess Offensively. We had CovidConfusion in the middle of installing a new base offense, a fear of running anything Option based, and a whole new staff and philosophy for playing ball. Jeff came in as a first year starter and tried to learn on the job, all while the team was learning how to play two different brands of football (One style that CDP wanted with a finesse scheme and the other being CBK wanting to play smashmouth style). It was a recipe for what we got, which was inconsistent play and disappointing results.

YearCMPATTCMP%YDSAVGTDINTLNGRTG
Year 2 | 202111318860.11,4687.812777139.3

In Year 2, we don't really get the benefit of a full offseason workout cycle or training plan for scheme so those problems continue. We still have dissonance on scheme on the O side of the ball, and then we get tripped up with crucial injuries on the OL. Year 2 sees us face the same struggles. Inconsistent play from our QB - but we do see a better completion % and a reduction in interceptions (including more than a few of freaky tipped balls that turned into INTs).

The WR room was hurt by early and preseason injuries. The TE room disappeared (I believe due to scheme decisions related to the OL shifts). So we lost the outside threats which hampered our RB room's ability to make plays. Wrap all of that up together and you see that our O only has room to grow and flourish moving into 2022.

In Year 3, we have our first real full offseason. We also bring in an OC who is - at least on paper - going to align the Offensive side of the ball to the same page stylistically. There are no guarantees but if we can stay healthy on the OL and are able to run a more consistent scheme we just might see Jeff show his top end ability. CCL seems to like a high tempo, quick hitting offense, bringing in some depth behind him also lets us do a little more in the Called QB Run Scheme set of plays. Throw in working with Chris Weinke and Jeff is going to have his best chance at developing into who he can be. I am willing to bet he will play up to his ability - and that if he doesn't then we will see more inclination to bring in another QB for a series or two for some in-game coaching.

CCL handles his team, and QB, with a different attitude than CDP used. He is more intense/rigid and I think a shorter leash might be just what Jeff needs to get over the mental hump.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Did I miss the article that said Thacker/CGC have rejuvenated the defense and the other teams will NOT score a lot of points this year?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Did I miss the article that said Thacker/CGC have rejuvenated the defense and the other teams will NOT score a lot of points this year?
No article, but I've seen a few posts ;=)
There's little to indicate Thacker will have a sudden enlightenment, but there is reason to hope Collins can make a difference based on his track record as a DC.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
This thread is about excitement for the 2022 season. Plenty of other threads to be negative in. Let's try to keep this one positive.
Being a long term Tech fan and constantly reminding myself "hope springs eternal" as such...in the back of my mind I'm waiting for something to CLICK this upcoming season...

Perhaps at UCF...no pressure, the Team experiences a Popeye Moment (it's all I can stands and I can stands no more) enough is enough and unexpectedly throttles their apponent. And then the train starts rolling...

I am silently harboring the pipe dream hope of a "revenge tour" where Tech puts the wood to those who deserve it (ie putting Trevor Lawrence back in, in the 2nd half when Igi a5 star is the back up)...as Led Zeppelin sings, NO quarter...

Regardless of the oft maligned posts, I refuse to accept them, and will continue this line of optimism till

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Being a long term Tech fan and constantly reminding myself "hope springs eternal" as such...in the back of my mind I'm waiting for something to CLICK this upcoming season...

Perhaps at UCF...no pressure, the Team experiences a Popeye Moment (it's all I can stands and I can stands no more) enough is enough and unexpectedly throttles their apponent. And then the train starts rolling...

I am silently harboring the pipe dream hope of a "revenge tour" where Tech puts the wood to those who deserve it (ie putting Trevor Lawrence back in, in the 2nd half when Igi a5 star is the back up)...as Led Zeppelin sings, NO quarter...

Regardless of the oft maligned posts, I refuse to accept them, and will continue this line of optimism till
As I look at this 1990 Natty bottle on my shelf, I have to remember that we went 15-38 between 1979 and 1983 and we only had a single win in two of those seasons. Different landscape now but things can turn around but the sooner the better.

Go Jackets!

6FFAD365-32BD-4B72-BA38-7688FA567633.jpeg

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
As I look at this 1990 Natty bottle on my shelf, I have to remember that we went 15-38 between 1979 and 1983 and we only had a single win in two of those seasons. Different landscape now but things can turn around but the sooner the better.

Go Jackets!

View attachment 12620
Got me a 6-pack of those, with the cardboard carrying case.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck

Go Jackets!

View attachment 12620
I have the same commemorative coke bottle...a reminder that things can change...

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member

Go Jackets!

View attachment 12620
Have a 6 pack my Dad got for me when they came out.l and I was living in Raleigh.

Then back at Christmas 2020, my son, not knowing that I had them, lovingly found some a bought a 6 pack!! I almost cried as my Dad had passed just over 10 years before. Brought back warm memories of love from the past and the love of the present.

So now I enjoy both gifts.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
I spent News Years at the Citrus Bowl with some of you on this board. I have my six pack of cokes on the shelf as well. Sat in the back of the endzone, terrible seats.

My wife was pregnant with our first. He would go on to get out of Tech. I always kid him about being at the Natty. He is now a season ticket holder.

Fortunately he is much more optimistic than I about the upcoming season. College football as I once knew and loved is changing, and the next generation of Tech alumni will have to pick up what we leave to them.

My optimistic take for this season is that Smith will shine at running back. We will forget about the kid that went to Bama. New coaches will breath life into the offense and there will be no shutouts this season.

That's about it for my optimism. I am sure as fall camp opens and the hype begins, the optimism will increase, but late on a Saturday night, that's about all I got.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I’m cool winning all of them 48-45 until we figure out that side of the ball.
Looking forward to not punting again!

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I am hopeful that the changes made to our coaching staff combined with another year of growth for the players on our roster plus some potentially good additions from the portal and HS recruiting could lead to real, honest to goodness improved play on the field. I’m also hopeful that leads to more wins than what we’ve been subjected to the last three seasons.

I wouldn’t say I’m excited about the season, though. I was last year and what happened beat that out of me so now I’m just hopeful. Is that fair?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I don’t personally take issue with anyone adopting a wait and see attitude for beating their chests about us being world beaters next season. As long as you’re supporting the team, cautious optimism may well be the way forward for many of our fan base.

I bet @kg01 won’t even put you on his naughty list.