Excitement for the 2022 Season

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
There is a loud mouth in our section behind the bench .
He was a cpj hater and quickly became a cgc hater.
Loved loudly to second guess the time out calls .
Favorite one was the time he faulted collins for calling time out after a first down inside the 20. Players were lined up and cgc called time out. Guy was upset we were driving and now defense would get set.
We scored on nice pass at left pillon.
Good point
sorry - forgot to add something to be excited about.
A. Loud mouth mitigation.

1. the loud mouth was not at the last 3 home games. he may come back to pile on during ole miss .

2. but I have a moved our seats up 5 rows higher than him and on end of row for quick exit for beer.

B. Last 5 games before *** kicking.
With a luck against ucf or pitt we could be 3-3 with a bye week. We could have our season average w half season to play.

1. I am excited to see how offense and defense come together in those upcoming 5 games.

UVA (H) , Vt (A) have new coaches and FSU (A) has not impressed w their coach having about same record as cgc. MIA( H) UNC (A).
After these 3 games
the quality of the players should clearly disproved their snub on the acc preseason team selection ( only 3 gt players) on preseason acc team ).
In the next 2 games we play upper tier ACC teams where our assistant coaches can demonstrate they can be competitive.

The players and the coaches have a clear path .

C. The *** kicking
Cgc has to make this game close. We cant expect the players to match up head to head. Being assignment competent wont cut it. Cgc must show he is at least somewhat like Coach Johnson.

We will know who need to go.

I am kind of optimistic .

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Anything less than 6-6=New Head Football Coach. I could see GT hiring Ken Niumatalolo after he's fired by Navy in December for going 4-8 or 5-7.
Although I love the option based spread as well as love and respect Coach Paul Johnson I do feel in my opinion that going back to that style of offense would be nonsensical. This is again only my opinion. After seeing Coach Johnson who is arguably one of the best if not the best OBS coaches produce what he was able to produce I believe as though we have seen the ceiling that could be reached during his tenure. Although this can be debated over and over, I feel that the self imposed scheme limitations and recruiting infirmities alone would caution us from traveling down that all too familiar road again. IMHO the thought is not one of wisdom but based solely upon fandom and love of CPJ. The weakness I see within our current approach is too much culture and not enough X's and O's knowhow. New coaching changes hopefully will alter this.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Just got this email. I don’t recall this type of outreach in the past so I’m happy to see it. Unfortunately, it’s on a Thursday night and weekday traffic is tough.
0C66B82C-56FC-4C1E-8063-4002771C5074.jpeg

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Former Douglas County defensive end and current Tech rising sophomore Josh Robinson hosted Keith on his visit. When asked how Robinson likes it at Tech, Keith responded, “He loves it. He told me that the new staff has come in and installed a lot of positive changes and that the team will surprise everyone this season. He says we will win a lot of big games this season, win more games than people expect us to win.”

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Great news - we just got a DT recruit from. Pensacola - Watson, Knight, and Thomas made him feel so at home he committed. ELIJAH Douglass of Pine Forrest. This guy was damn good last year .
I will ask my friend who played at PF (and Washington Redskins) to find out if he is the real deal.

To show gt love will be decked out in GT gear at his in town games.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
This season is a win-win, if we suck again we can finally say goodbye to the Collins era, and if we’re good we have something to look forward to in the future especially with the new staff and the recruits coming in
I’m all about optimism but….

I think we all agree GT should be a 7-8 win type program with some years jumping to 9 and injury riddled years we drop to 5. That’s where we should be and have been under Ross, O’Leary, Gailey, and Johnson. Collins has single handedly lowered all our expectations and we probably don’t even realize it. Many posters have already stated if he wins 5/6 and shows improvement they are fine with him staying. In what world does GT have 4 years of under .500 ball and we gladly keep the coach? I can’t believe what half these posts say. We fired Gailey who is a real football coach for winning 7 yet we keep this guy for winning 3?

As to the above post - if we have a decent year do you think those coaches will stay? Long is here for one reason - rehabilitate his image and then back to a big program. My view is I want GT to win every game. But I’m also not stupid. Collins has already shown us who he is. 3 years is not a fluke and couple that with how he took Temple down a level and you now have 5 years of his resume that shows below average ability. So, if we improve, great, but don’t expect those assistants not to parlay that success into better jobs. And then we are back to Collins and Thacker.

And we are in a lost decade. Last five seasons win total are 5,7,3,3,3. And we are in no better shape than 5 years ago when it comes to depth, defense, or QB. Sims is basically what Taquon would have been from the shotgun.

JacketFan137

Banned

I think we all agree GT should be a 7-8 win type program with some years jumping to 9 and injury riddled years we drop to 5. That’s where we should be and have been under Ross, O’Leary, Gailey, and Johnson. Collins has single handedly lowered all our expectations and we probably don’t even realize it. Many posters have already stated if he wins 5/6 and shows improvement they are fine with him staying. In what world does GT have 4 years of under .500 ball and we gladly keep the coach? I can’t believe what half these posts say. We fired Gailey who is a real football coach for winning 7 yet we keep this guy for winning 3?

As to the above post - if we have a decent year do you think those coaches will stay? Long is here for one reason - rehabilitate his image and then back to a big program. My view is I want GT to win every game. But I’m also not stupid. Collins has already shown us who he is. 3 years is not a fluke and couple that with how he took Temple down a level and you now have 5 years of his resume that shows below average ability. So, if we improve, great, but don’t expect those assistants not to parlay that success into better jobs. And then we are back to Collins and Thacker.

And we are in a lost decade. Last five seasons win total are 5,7,3,3,3. And we are in no better shape than 5 years ago when it comes to depth, defense, or QB. Sims is basically what Taquon would have been from the shotgun.
to compare sims in any way to taquon marshall is so ridiculous. no need to make stuff up

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
to compare sims in any way to taquon marshall is so ridiculous. no need to make stuff up

I actually think tis a good comparison but not for the reason the orignal poster did it. Sims has all the tools to be a great spread QB. he has a live arm, some good wheels and has the height for it. But there is something just wrong in how he approaches the game, he makes bad decisions has quesitonable ball placement doens't seem to be able to read the RPO and in the end is best when he just takes off with the ball in open space.

Marshall had the tools to be a pretty good option QB. He was lightning fast and elusive with the ball in his hands. He had a strong enough arm to hit deep throws to open receivers. He could't throw the comeback very well but that's a hard throw for most college QBs. But for some reason he was hesitant to pitch the ball and it bit us on many occasions he also had a very bad habit of not throwing to the open number one receiver which made us very very one dimensional.

In the end both these quarterbacks look prototypical for the type of system they are running yet both failed to run it as well as they probably should due to their abilities.

kalld12

Banned

So go ahead...call me crazy, but I believe if Collins wins 5 games (minimum) he will have shown enough improvement for us to keep him another year (no buyout) + if he keeps building top 30 recruiting classes with the increasing win totals then I think TS keeps him another year. Sorry to break it to you, but Collins isn't going from 3 wins to your 7-8 wins full of hopium. I think that's a mighty high bar to achieve with this years schedule. This is not defending Collins, but I'm adding a bit of realism to the conversation. In my opinion Collins has been WAY TOO PASSIVE in the way he coaches and disciplines players. If someone jumps offsides, they don't get to play another down till they get their butt chewed out and sit out a couple plays. I haven't seen enough of this, and the team needs it in a bad way. That's one variable you seen with CPJ, Saban, and Dabo coached teams. Trust me, I want to get back to 7-8 wins a season and get back to the level of Tech football were all accustom to. The season will tell us everything we need to know.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
So go ahead...call me crazy, but I believe if Collins wins 5 games (minimum) he will have shown enough improvement for us to keep him another year (no buyout) + if he keeps building top 30 recruiting classes with the increasing win totals then I think TS keeps him another year. Sorry to break it to you, but Collins isn't going from 3 wins to your 7-8 wins full of hopium. I think that's a mighty high bar to achieve with this years schedule. This is not defending Collins, but I'm adding a bit of realism to the conversation. In my opinion Collins has been WAY TOO PASSIVE in the way he coaches and disciplines players. If someone jumps offsides, they don't get to play another down till they get their butt chewed out and sit out a couple plays. I haven't seen enough of this, and the team needs it in a bad way. That's one variable you seen with CPJ, Saban, and Dabo coached teams. Trust me, I want to get back to 7-8 wins a season and get back to the level of Tech football were all accustom to. The season will tell us everything we need to know.
I agree with you except we’ve already been told everything. We don’t need another season to know. That’s my point. Our expectations have been so lowered by this coach over 36 months that we have GT diehard fans saying that even if we finish a 4th season under .500 that the coach should be given more time. To me, that’s bizzaro world seeing how we let Gailey go for winning at twice the clip the current coach has. Oh, how far we have fallen.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
If he wins 5 in year 4, I doubt he gets a top 30 recruiting class. The top 30 classes aren't coming any more unless Geoff puts a winning team on the field. Collins is a good recruiter per se, and recruits bought into us up to a point, but with the losing that point has passed. This year is off to a slow start.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I actually think tis a good comparison but not for the reason the orignal poster did it. Sims has all the tools to be a great spread QB. he has a live arm, some good wheels and has the height for it. But there is something just wrong in how he approaches the game, he makes bad decisions has quesitonable ball placement doens't seem to be able to read the RPO and in the end is best when he just takes off with the ball in open space.

Marshall had the tools to be a pretty good option QB. He was lightning fast and elusive with the ball in his hands. He had a strong enough arm to hit deep throws to open receivers. He could't throw the comeback very well but that's a hard throw for most college QBs. But for some reason he was hesitant to pitch the ball and it bit us on many occasions he also had a very bad habit of not throwing to the open number one receiver which made us very very one dimensional.

In the end both these quarterbacks look prototypical for the type of system they are running yet both failed to run it as well as they probably should due to their abilities.
That’s what I was saying. Taquon’s play in the option is the same level as Sims from the shotgun. Both were/are inconsistent, have not improved their play from year to year, and they both give us a few highlight reel plays a couple times a game. But the inconsistency of play is very similar.

JacketFan137

Banned
I agree with you except we’ve already been told everything. We don’t need another season to know. That’s my point. Our expectations have been so lowered by this coach over 36 months that we have GT diehard fans saying that even if we finish a 4th season under .500 that the coach should be given more time. To me, that’s bizzaro world seeing how we let Gailey go for winning at twice the clip the current coach has. Oh, how far we have fallen.
i don’t see many people saying he should be kept. i see a lot of people saying that they believe he will be kept. i for one am in that boat. i think he should be fired for less than 6 wins but i can understand why they might keep him

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer

TQM couldn't read the option. That's the fundamental tool that an Option QB has to have. All the other tools are "nice to have's". That one is a "has to have".

It's like saying "he's got a lot of tools for a pitcher, pretty much everything except being able to pitch".

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
TQM couldn't read the option. That's the fundamental tool that an Option QB has to have. All the other tools are "nice to have's". That one is a "has to have".

It's like saying "he's got a lot of tools for a pitcher, pretty much everything except being able to pitch".

Yep which was the problem that's basically what I am saying that makes him like sims. They have all the tools to be successful except the critical one.