ESPN: Bill Connelly's ACC Coastal season preview

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Interesting because Clayton and Cochran might contend for being our two best players despite not being “returning players.”

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
These pundits want Miami to win SOOOOOOOOO damn bad, but just like every year, they'll finish middle of the Coastal with a roster full of 4 and 5 star guys. #StillHaventWonTheCoastal
hasn't every team won it once the last 7 years? I think Miami will be pretty good this year with the Houston qb transfer. That dude is good, and they got the Temple d end. We will see how bad Diaz is this year.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
hasn't every team won it once the last 7 years? I think Miami will be pretty good this year with the Houston qb transfer. That dude is good, and they got the Temple d end. We will see how bad Diaz is this year.
I dont think they've won it yet since moving over.

majorQ9

Jolly Good Fellow
Bill was pretty accurate in his prediction last year. Had tech with 3.7 wins and called out a lot of the weaknesses in the team

https://es.pn/2LSKBBj

Attachments

• A45A51EB-6D07-4B16-B19A-782FCD7861B9.png
    A45A51EB-6D07-4B16-B19A-782FCD7861B9.png
    422.1 KB · Views: 41

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Several have mentioned Defoor on here, but I think overall GT fans have overlooked his ability. I know I have. I always forget him when mentioning our OL players to watch.

Several publications have now singled him out. Good for Defoor.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Interesting because Clayton and Cochran might contend for being our two best players despite not being “returning players.”

Clayton, Allen, Ezzard, Lee, Camp, Cooper, Tobias Oliver at corner. Lots of guys who didn't get a chance to play, much chance to play, or a chance at the position they (apparently per staff) are meant for. We'll see how it turns out, but most of that list figure to be impact players. Then there's brand new transfers in Cochran and Johnson. And a freshman class where Gibbs realistically could be the best player on the team.

I haven't seen a preview that has a realistic understanding of the talent difference we will have between last year and this one.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Bill Connelly knows what he's talking about. His data carries a lot of accurate information and his interpretation of the data is usually pretty unbiased. Last year he admitted we were a massive wildcard due to the transition but still predicted around 3.7 wins, which some posters here trashed him for. It's interesting he's projecting us to be a much improved top 60 team, but still finish 4-8 due to schedule.

My favorite part is where he says the defense has "at worst Top-50 potential." Remember when we used to say "If only we had a top 60 defense under Johnson..."? Well, the monkey paw curled and answered our wishes, but at the cost of offense. Fortunately, I feel offense is easier to cure than defense and we are making good strides at improving that side of the ball as well.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Bill Connelly knows what he's talking about. His data carries a lot of accurate information and his interpretation of the data is usually pretty unbiased. Last year he admitted we were a massive wildcard due to the transition but still predicted around 3.7 wins, which some posters here trashed him for. It's interesting he's projecting us to be a much improved top 60 team, but still finish 4-8 due to schedule.

My favorite part is where he says the defense has "at worst Top-50 potential." Remember when we used to say "If only we had a top 60 defense under Johnson..."? Well, the monkey paw curled and answered our wishes, but at the cost of offense. Fortunately, I feel offense is easier to cure than defense and we are making good strides at improving that side of the ball as well.

We have been signing 4 star guys at the offensive skill positions the last two classes. You just hope some of them will live up to the billing sooner than later.

ScGold

Banned
Ur right. Hard to predict our win total on just returning starters. We have several potential players that could as a whole give this season to be pleasantly surprising.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
They did a couple of years ago. They went 10-0 then lost to Pitt in the last game of the season. Then, they got demolished by Clemson.

That was the year of the miracle 4th and long tipped pass they beat us with. IIRC they had a couple more wins worthy of using “miracle” as a descriptor that year too. Beat FSU by 4 on a 25 yard TD pass with 6 seconds left. Beat UNC with a recovered fumble as they were driving for the go ahead score in the final minutes.

I could see us anywhere from 1-7 in conference (if Cochran/Johnson don’t give us the lift we’re expecting) to contending for a title at 5-3 in a classic Coastal circle jerk (if the OL clicks).

Last edited:

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
If there is no 2020 season(I want one don’t get me wrong. It’s just a thought), is that a colossal blow to the rebuild or a blessing in disguise or no effect at all?

On one hand, this season is going to be rough because of the schedule and where we are in the rebuild. Think of it as all the stars aligning for the wrong reasons. It might be kind of nice to avoid those losses. On the other hand, that’s a lot of missed reps for a team that is transitioning dramatically on offense(we’re still less than two calendar years removed from running the triple). At the same time, I could be putting too much weight in the pros and the cons. It may not make much of a difference either way. I genuinely don’t know.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Bill Connelly has me worried that while Coach Collins can recruit he might not be able to coach. I sure hope the program is not set back... I think with decent Coaching (think Chan Gailey) not even HOF Coaching like Paul Johnson we should be able to get to 6 wins with the talent we have.... But Bill's Charts make it seem like Coach Collins might be more like Bill Lewis than George O'leary.... Scary times...

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Bill Connelly has me worried that while Coach Collins can recruit he might not be able to coach. I sure hope the program is not set back... I think with decent Coaching (think Chan Gailey) not even HOF Coaching like Paul Johnson we should be able to get to 6 wins with the talent we have.... But Bill's Charts make it seem like Coach Collins might be more like Bill Lewis than George O'leary.... Scary times...
Bait.