Early Line GT-ND

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
So another tidbit, ND plays Navy next week. Wonder if they will spend a day this week prepping for the flexbone vs us. Also regarding the 3 CB situation we could try Dabo’s old strategy of having our WRs run deep routes consistently to tire them out and sub our WRs for fresh guys and burn them that way. Also they would be weary tacklers on outside runs.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
The play calls for Pyron wil be different than for King. But within the same philosophy ( motion, screens, counters) burt I believe we will pass more.
Time to get the Pryon/Blackburn connection going! The chemistry between the 2 is supposedly really good. Also, ND will be too focused on Rutherford and Singleton who will constantly pull the safeties, which likely puts Blackburn 1 on 1 with a freshman CB.

gtee91

Jolly Good Fellow
So another tidbit, ND plays Navy next week. Wonder if they will spend a day this week prepping for the flexbone vs us. Also regarding the 3 CB situation we could try Dabo’s old strategy of having our WRs run deep routes consistently to tire them out and sub our WRs for fresh guys and burn them that way. Also they would be weary tacklers on outside runs.
We have the WR depth...I would run them all day

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
Time to get the Pryon/Blackburn connection going! The chemistry between the 2 is supposedly really good. Also, ND will be too focused on Rutherford and Singleton who will constantly pull the safeties, which likely puts Blackburn 1 on 1 with a freshman CB.
I would assume that Chase Lane would be the main target in that scenario, as he is our #3 WR.

I really wish Blackburn hadn't been injured but he only has 1 catch this season.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
I would assume that Chase Lane would be the main target in that scenario, as he is our #3 WR.

I really wish Blackburn hadn't been injured but he only has 1 catch this season.
You are right, Lane is basically the #3 WR. King has more chemistry with Lane than Blackburn, as Lane has been with him since A&M. However, based on things we have heard from practice (and IIRC Pryon's dad here), Pyron and Blackburn have established a really good chemistry. Therefore, if Pyron is playing, it would be a good opportunity to take advantage of the chemistry and obvious CB mismatch with Blackburn.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
So another tidbit, ND plays Navy next week. Wonder if they will spend a day this week prepping for the flexbone vs us.
If they don't then they are in, as George Bush the First said, "In deep doo-doo." Navy has great team speed and a lights out QB in Horvath. I've talked here about Bryson Daily at Army, but while Horvath is no where near as physical, he is faster and a better passer. They could beat ND; indeed, they probably have a better chance then we do.

Oth, Tech CAN beat ND. It'll require a game without mistakes, something less likely if Pyron starts, but it CAN be done.

Goldfella2013

Georgia Tech Fan
We were +6.5 against ND as of 10/11. It then moved to +8.5 following the tarhole game and King’s injury / uncertainty. It now moved to +11.5 on essentially no news.

I’m not stating his status since I have no idea. But I am stating that the line movement seems to “assume” it’s a sure thing.
This is my thinking as well. I think it is more likely the case that King doesn’t go .

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
This is my thinking as well. I think it is more likely the case that King doesn’t go .
I don't think the line movement is just based on whether King can go, but also on the presumption that even if he is able to go, he'll be hampered by an ongoing injury.
At any rate, I have faith in Pyron, and if that spread would edge up about two more points, I'd be tempted to take a bite.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
If they don't then they are in, as George Bush the First said, "In deep doo-doo." Navy has great team speed and a lights out QB in Horvath. I've talked here about Bryson Daily at Army, but while Horvath is no where near as physical, he is faster and a better passer. They could beat ND; indeed, they probably have a better chance then we do.

Oth, Tech CAN beat ND. It'll require a game without mistakes, something less likely if Pyron starts, but it CAN be done.
I think Pyron can do it, his run game is different, but give me his passing over hurt Haynes King

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Poor Haynes King if he plays and only completes 65% verses 75%.
On the surface, the difference between a banged up HK and the numbers you quote doesn't look that big. However, the 10% difference (imo) is the deep vertical throws. We haven't hit many of those at all this year and it appears to be somewhat related to injury (pure speculation on my part). Someone mentioned that we have yet to hit a receiver on a long route in stride this year. I think one of the keys in the back half of our schedule is hitting on a few more deep routes here and there to keep the safeties from cheating up. This is where the 10% becomes very significant.