Early Line GT-ND

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
On the surface, the difference between a banged up HK and the numbers you quote doesn't look that big. However, the 10% difference (imo) is the deep vertical throws. We haven't hit many of those at all this year and it appears to be somewhat related to injury (pure speculation on my part). Someone mentioned that we have yet to hit a receiver on a long route in stride this year. I think one of the keys in the back half of our schedule is hitting on a few more deep routes here and there to keep the safeties from cheating up. This is where the 10% becomes very significant.
Singleton, Lane, Janneh, et al are not getting very much separation on deep routes this year. If HK is off a little, especially if short, there would have been INTs. Since that is a focus, I’d guess CBF is taking 2-3 shots downfield a game to keep the S honest, and HK is being coached to miss long.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Singleton, Lane, Janneh, et al are not getting very much separation on deep routes this year. If HK is off a little, especially if short, there would have been INTs. Since that is a focus, I’d guess CBF is taking 2-3 shots downfield a game to keep the S honest, and HK is being coached to miss long.
I am guessing you are correct. I pointed out in a different thread that we are #40 in the nation in points per drive, which is lower than some of our other offensive ratings, and I suspect that the lack of explosive plays MAY be the root cause of that stat...

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
On the surface, the difference between a banged up HK and the numbers you quote doesn't look that big. However, the 10% difference (imo) is the deep vertical throws. We haven't hit many of those at all this year and it appears to be somewhat related to injury (pure speculation on my part). Someone mentioned that we have yet to hit a receiver on a long route in stride this year. I think one of the keys in the back half of our schedule is hitting on a few more deep routes here and there to keep the safeties from cheating up. This is where the 10% becomes very significant.
^^^^^
This, in spades.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I am guessing you are correct. I pointed out in a different thread that we are #40 in the nation in points per drive, which is lower than some of our other offensive ratings, and I suspect that the lack of explosive plays MAY be the root cause of that stat...
It’s all my feeble mind can figure, but who knows? All I know is I don’t see a lot of separation, though they do get behind the coverage pretty regularly. That’s where I think HK’s injury has hurt. When he first showed up, he was putting some of those throws on a dime. A healthy Pyron may be able to do that Saturday.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I don't think they aren't getting separation. Singleton and Rutherford, in particular, are open on many long routes. I think it's that recently King hasn't been able to hit them when they do get separation. I noticed this a few games ago, but I figured that since deep throws are usually incomplete this was no monster deal. Now we learn that King has been hampered by an injury for several games. That explains more of the situation.

I don't know how much having a live arm at QB will effect our willingness to throw down field against ND. My guess is that if the run game gets any purchase not much. I'm kinda hoping that we are planning to run some of the QB power plays that Army does, but I don't know if we have a real FB healthy - Maddox would do - that can make that work. We'll see soon enough.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Here's a preview from a non-GT-specific voice.

They are previewing as if King is good to go, but they also touch on ND's season this far. There's been a lot of talk about their defensive ratings, but those stats may be a bit padded.

These guys may not be as familiar with our team as folks here, but sometimes it's fun to hear what others have to say. Take it for what it's worth.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
He has gotten a step on DBs a number of times….our QB just overthrew him
Is this not exactly what I typed?

Yes, he’s gotten behind the DB, but not often large separation. Could have been hit if HK were tossing dimes. I believe, to avoid INT’s, HK has been coached to miss long. Just an observation, but maybe I’m wrong.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

Yes, he’s gotten behind the DB, but not often large separation. Could have been hit if HK were tossing dimes. I believe, to avoid INT’s, HK has been coached to miss long. Just an observation, but maybe I’m wrong.
Yeah, I agree with what you said. I misread it to see “no separation “ as opposed to “not enough separation “.

cpf2001

Helluva Engineer
Early last year we had some WIDE WIDE open deep bomb throws. Defenses caught up and I think it’s required a lot more accuracy since then that we haven’t really had. Plus we’re erring more on the side of overthrowing vs INTs, maybe too much IMO.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I don't think they aren't getting separation. Singleton and Rutherford, in particular, are open on many long routes. I think it's that recently King hasn't been able to hit them when they do get separation. I noticed this a few games ago, but I figured that since deep throws are usually incomplete this was no monster deal. Now we learn that King has been hampered by an injury for several games. That explains more of the situation.

I don't know how much having a live arm at QB will effect our willingness to throw down field against ND. My guess is that if the run game gets any purchase not much. I'm kinda hoping that we are planning to run some of the QB power plays that Army does, but I don't know if we have a real FB healthy - Maddox would do - that can make that work. We'll see soon enough.
While I agree that we won’t get too far from our run heavy game plan, I think we absolutely need to test their corners. I wouldn’t expect to sling it all over, but with their attrition at CB, we need to take a couple shots.
Even ND is worried about it (unless we think it’s a trap). I’d expect their safeties to be very keyed in to coverage if we give them something to think about. That’ll keep them from coming downhill in the run game.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer

Consistently missing open receivers when they are open behind the defense is a clear way to make scoring points much harder. We have seen that consistently this season. The QB needs to give his receivers an opportunity to make a play on the deep ball.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer

I have thought for several games his deep throws are too flat, not enough air under the ball for the receiver to run under it. Last year he had enough height on his throws. If this is the case, his throws could be effected by an injury but only Weinke and the staff really know what is going on, just giving my thoughts as an uninformed fan.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck

I agree that they are getting separation. However one thing I feel like I have noticed is when they get behind their defender they slow up just slightly as Haynes throws the ball. I wouldn't be surprised if Haynes is coached to "overthrow" a little (as was mentioned here), but I think if that's the case the receivers should be taught to kept the speed up a little longer, then they would have caught more of these deep balls from Haynes.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I agree that they are getting separation. However one thing I feel like I have noticed is when they get behind their defender they slow up just slightly as Haynes throws the ball. I wouldn't be surprised if Haynes is coached to "overthrow" a little (as was mentioned here), but I think if that's the case the receivers should be taught to kept the speed up a little longer, then they would have caught more of these deep balls from Haynes.
If that’s indeed the way they are being coached, they absolutely must keep the pedal down. They are getting a step, but often no more than a step. You’re not often seeing our WRs 2-3 steps out front. Haynes can make those throws, but not with a bad wing.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
All of which implies that receivers and QB still don’t have chemistry with each other and need to practice more to get on the same page. 😳

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
All of which implies that receivers and QB still don’t have chemistry with each other and need to practice more to get on the same page. 😳
I favor Stingers thought that coaches have coached King to avoid interceptions (better to have died as a young child than to throw an interception, to paraphrase Heisman).
So, he delivers balls he thinks ONLY his receivers can get to. Just mho