Early Line GT-ND

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Let's see...ND has an elite pass defense and an average run defense. We have an excellent run game. What kind of balance should we have?
We will run the ball. Though our WR’s are fast, I’m still not convinced that we run great deep routes and get good separation. HK was definitely off on deep routes yesterday. Part of that is likely an “if you miss, miss long” approach. I still think his hand is hurt and he’s not getting a real good grip.

ETA: Or it could be his elbow, too. I have tendinitis in my right elbow right now and it hurts to grip a coffee cup, unscrew a jar, etc.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
We will run the ball. Though our WR’s are fast, I’m still not convinced that we run great deep routes and get good separation. HK was definitely off on deep routes yesterday. Part of that is likely an “if you miss, miss long” approach. I still think his hand is hurt and he’s not getting a real good grip.

ETA: Or it could be his elbow, too. I have tendinitis in my right elbow right now and it hurts to grip a coffee cup, unscrew a jar, etc.
He kept throwing it high and long. Several things could be the cause of that, but it's obvious he has an injury to his arm or hand.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
We will run the ball. Though our WR’s are fast, I’m still not convinced that we run great deep routes and get good separation.
I notice we don't have guys getting open very often down the field this year and we know, esp. with Singleton, that we have speed outside. I have asked myself is our route trees to simple and/or predictable. Another thing is we lack height at this position outside of Boyd to attempt the jump ball type of throws. (I am setting aside the topic of HK and how his injuy or injuries this year may have effected things here although that may a bigger issue than what we realize. Or another possible thought is that our OL isn't really capable of allowing a deep dropback with deep routes. Spitballing here of course).

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I notice we don't have guys getting open very often down the field this year and we know, esp. with Singleton, that we have speed outside. I have asked myself is our route trees to simple and/or predictable. Another thing is we lack height at this position outside of Boyd to attempt the jump ball type of throws. (I am setting aside the topic of HK and how his injuy or injuries this year may have effected things here although that may a bigger issue than what we realize. Or another possible thought is that our OL isn't really capable of allowing a deep dropback with deep routes. Spitballing here of course).
It’s all in how you get position leverage, plant, and cut. I’m not convinced that our WR’s are real good at that in deep routes yet. There does not often seem to be much separation to me.

slugboy

Staff member
ESPN likes Notre Dame, solidly:

1728913601214.png

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
In last game in the play after when king was tripped up at the 1 yd line, we power man on man "raaan thee balll utm " with Pyron running right behind the center. Unfortunately , the center was rolled into pyron who ran into his axx for a 3 yd loss. King came back in and we scored.

King has a 4.5 40 yd dash so he can sprint wide.

The front 7 for next 5 are way stronger and faster than the last 7.

Watching pyron in warm ups, he has a good arm and is a good qb.
Next man up.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Will be an interesting game.
Their D is the best one we will have faced so far. They are actually giving up fewer yards per carry (3.4) then our D is (3.6).
They have the #1 rated Defensive efficiency at FEI. They are only giving up 4.2 yards per play overall. Only given up more than 16 points once this season and have held 3 of 6 opponents to 7 points or less.

Leonard has been very good the last 2 games. 33-45 passing for 392 yds and 5 TD, 0 INT, 1 sack. 19 carries 83 yards and 2 TD's. Best dual threat QB we have faced to date. Honestly, Criswell is the only QB we have faced this year who was a serious dual threat QB. Both DJ and Murphy were basically statues and McCord is more of a pocket passer, though he can run if he has to. Veilloux was more of a pocket passer as well.

FWIW, here is an updated inury article for ND. Lost their best CB in the Stanford win and are down to 3 scholarship CB's for the GT game.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Will be an interesting game.
Their D is the best one we will have faced so far. They are actually giving up fewer yards per carry (3.4) then our D is (3.6).
They have the #1 rated Defensive efficiency at FEI. They are only giving up 4.2 yards per play overall. Only given up more than 16 points once this season and have held 3 of 6 opponents to 7 points or less.

Leonard has been very good the last 2 games. 33-45 passing for 392 yds and 5 TD, 0 INT, 1 sack. 19 carries 83 yards and 2 TD's. Best dual threat QB we have faced to date. Honestly, Criswell is the only QB we have faced this year who was a serious dual threat QB. Both DJ and Murphy were basically statues and McCord is more of a pocket passer, though he can run if he has to. Veilloux was more of a pocket passer as well.

FWIW, here is an updated inury article for ND. Lost their best CB in the Stanford win and are down to 3 scholarship CB's for the GT game.
"Notre Dame has just three scholarship cornerbacks as it prepares for Georgia Tech. Starter Christian Gray is still locked in, but the Irish will have to lean heavily on a pair of freshmen in Leonard Moore and Karson Hobbs."

Hmm, could affect the game plan. Maybe the Jackets will work one of those corners, the freshman CB. I don't see us running the ball all day on ND, like Pepper.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Thanks, I just saw that too. It’s interesting since the line movement bakes in certainty, as in, ain’t no way he’s playing.
Not necessarily. The possibility of HK being out or hampered by injury affects the line. These gamblers don't know whether he's playing or not, just like the rest of us.

Thwg777

Ramblin' Wreck
Not necessarily. The possibility of HK being out or hampered by injury affects the line. These gamblers don't know whether he's playing or not, just like the rest of us.

We were +6.5 against ND as of 10/11. It then moved to +8.5 following the tarhole game and King’s injury / uncertainty. It now moved to +11.5 on essentially no news.

I’m not stating his status since I have no idea. But I am stating that the line movement seems to “assume” it’s a sure thing.

slugboy

Staff member
"Notre Dame has just three scholarship cornerbacks as it prepares for Georgia Tech. Starter Christian Gray is still locked in, but the Irish will have to lean heavily on a pair of freshmen in Leonard Moore and Karson Hobbs."

Hmm, could affect the game plan. Maybe the Jackets will work one of those corners, the freshman CB. I don't see us running the ball all day on ND, like Pepper.
Christian Gray is a 4* starting sophomore.
Hobbs is a 3* freshman. Moore is a 4*, and he was the #2 over the summer.

I haven’t watched either of them play, but with the way ND recruits, I would at least expect them to be really athletic corners.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

I haven’t watched either of them play, but with the way ND recruits, I would at least expect them to be really athletic corners.
No doubt, but I would guess they're not as good as the NFL prospect starter and maybe that's one area of their defense we should attack. ND recruits good everywhere. Also to be considered is that they're down to only three CBs. One of those goes down and we could run these guys ragged.

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck

You also have to take into account that they have no back-ups to speak of for 3 CB spots.

I would imagine a big day for Singleton as they will probably have their #1 CB on Rutherford. A back-up CB on Singleton will be a mismatch.