Early BC spread

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
So hard for me not to see this game as a loss. But maybe that’s because I’m starting to care again. 😊
I almost don't want to go because we've lost both games I've attended this year, but we have to hope that the team learned their lesson against BG, and Key and Co have spent the past two weeks further improving the fundamentals and installing a really good game plan. I do think the whole news cycle focusing on Miami's screwups and not giving Tech as much credit hopefully kept the chip in their shoulders.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
My biggest hope is that the improved defense was not a fluke and that our new DC has made a difference ... from what I've seen of BC, our offense "should" be able to put some points up.
OK, I’m letting all my demons out

Would be understandable to see defense regress. Last week they had a staff shake up that really got their attention. Everyone had to be on their ps and qs. Plus, playing an undefeated Miami that they knew would be tough.

They could let their guard down after an heroic performance. Only natural. I need therapy.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
My biggest hope is that the improved defense was not a fluke and that our new DC has made a difference ... from what I've seen of BC, our offense "should" be able to put some points up.
What do you mean by "improved defense"? We gave up 450 yds. Great that we got the turnovers, but we did the same thing to Wake Forest as well. Turnovers cannot be relied upon for consistency.

slugboy

Staff member
What do you mean by "improved defense"? We gave up 450 yds. Great that we got the turnovers, but we did the same thing to Wake Forest as well. Turnovers cannot be relied upon for consistency.

Everybody so far gives up yardage to Miami. UNC gave up 482 yards and 31 points to Miami. By yardage, Miami is the #7 offense in FBS. Only Texas A&M held them to fewer yards than us—they gave up 451, and we gave up 452. We definitely—and by far—held them to their season low in points.

It’ll be interesting to see how Miami-Clemson goes.

It’s a better criticism to point out that we gave up 431 yards to Bowling Green—or to look at every other game we played.

If we play defense the way we played against Miami, and tackle that well, we’ll be OK. If we play defense the way we did in the other 5 games (including SCST), it could be a bad day for us.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
A trend is your friend until it isn’t. Our trend as a home favorite is an auto-fade for seasoned sports bettors. I honestly thought the line should be higher (GT -9 or so) but the opening line and movement makes sense given the trend and expected betting action. The total seemed low but I can see that’s moving up.

If it keeps moving down - close-ish to GT -3.5 or -4, it’ll be interesting to see if brave souls come in on Tech for value.

The importance of this game cannot be overstated. Almost the same spot as being favored over UVA last year coming off our bye. Hopefully a different outcome this time…

57jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Everybody so far gives up yardage to Miami. UNC gave up 482 yards and 31 points to Miami. By yardage, Miami is the #7 offense in FBS. Only Texas A&M held them to fewer yards than us—they gave up 451, and we gave up 452. We definitely—and by far—held them to their season low in points.

It’ll be interesting to see how Miami-Clemson goes.

It’s a better criticism to point out that we gave up 431 yards to Bowling Green—or to look at every other game we played.

If we play defense the way we played against Miami, and tackle that well, we’ll be OK. If we play defense the way we did in the other 5 games (including SCST), it could be a bad day for us.
Excellent post. Good information. I wasn't aware of those sats. Thanks. I feel a "little" better about our D.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
Im hoping Miami was a sign of whats to come with Sherrer taking over as DC and not a random blip like we occasionally saw with CGC (like UNC). Our team has been Jekyll and Hyde since CPJ left (even last year when Key took over).

slugboy

Staff member
Excellent post. Good information. I wasn't aware of those sats. Thanks. I feel a "little" better about our D.
Our defense is Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde—mainly whichever is the one you don’t want, though.

The Miami game wasn’t as bad as the yardage made it look.

Statistically , it’s still one of the worst defenses in FBS. Like, bottom 10.

I’m a long way away from feeling comfortable about our defense, or any aspect of our team.