Early BC spread

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I just noticed we got the <insert expletive> six day option for the Tarholes game. Looks like TV networks also have no idea how this weekend turns out for us.
I think we get a rocking Bobby Dodd night game against a Top 10 opponent if Tech moves to 3-1 this weekend and UNC is 4-0.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
The Bye - is the start of the rest of the season.

BC thinks they can have a good season if the beat us since they play an easy remaining schedule (UConn, Syracuse, Vt, Pitt and Mia).

GT knows we could have a very bad season if we loose to BC because we have 3 very tough games after BC = UNC< CLEM< UGA.

The coaches know we have looked way better and way worse than our 3-3 record shows.

To date and have not had a solid 4 quarter game. IMO, this is the game that we need to make that happen.

With all the injuries at WR (#1 Blackburn, Moore, Lane) our new offense has been missing some fire power.

This week with return of LANE (who is tall and can get open on the sideline), we will get better opportunities downfield for our fastest WR - Singleton). Last week the defense line played with some violence and DB were tackling against a very talented team

This game is the remaining best opportunity to show that Key and staff can do more than scratch out wins.

Wife and I will be there cheering till the end!

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I almost don't want to go because we've lost both games I've attended this year, but we have to hope that the team learned their lesson against BG, and Key and Co have spent the past two weeks further improving the fundamentals and installing a really good game plan. I do think the whole news cycle focusing on Miami's screwups and not giving Tech as much credit hopefully kept the chip in their shoulders.
Yeti, do yourself a favor...take one for the team and find something else to do on Saturday. Trust me, you are indeed tempting the fates and the gods of football by considering the prospect of a threepeat.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I think a lot of folks are anxious to see which Jackets take the field this Saturday. We'd all like to see the team learn its lesson and get over the hump. This is a big game.
We should assume BC will bring its A-game, but win or lose, like you I think the Jackets come out and play hard. As for the spread, I'm not touching it.
On the one hand, it's a classic trap game. Tech's coming off a huge upset and have UNC on the horizon. On the other, the team hopefully wants to redeem itself after the BG loss. We'll see what happens.
It is indeed, a classic trap game. The Hurricanes know something about that.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
If we have a good tackler, put that player in at linebacker to stop Castellanos when he runs.
With nothing better to do with my time, I watched BC against Army. Just one game but it seemed that Castellanos is just about the whole team. He leads them in rushing, passing, and he is probably trying to figure out a way to pad his stats with receiving yards as well. He would have been perfect as an old single wing tailback. If General Neyland had seen him play he would have been salivating at the thought of a triple threat Tennessee tailback back in the day.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
What do you mean by "improved defense"? We gave up 450 yds. Great that we got the turnovers, but we did the same thing to Wake Forest as well. Turnovers cannot be relied upon for consistency.
I’ve bounces back and forth. We got some stops too. It wasn’t exactly a marquee performance, but it was improved over giving up a score on every drive. And if you look they were actually playing damn good in the first half before the drive for the FG

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
I hate to even say this, but we seem to play better on the road than at Bobby Dodd. We just seem to play with more energy on the road for some reason. So every home game makes me more nervous than away games now days. I hope we win and I hope we get a good fan turnout, but I don’t feel very confident about it right now.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
I’ve bounces back and forth. We got some stops too. It wasn’t exactly a marquee performance, but it was improved over giving up a score on every drive. And if you look they were actually playing damn good in the first half before the drive for the FG
Agreed. I’ve been thinking about this a lot.

While a bend-but-don’t-break defensive style can be maddening, when done right, it does what its name implies: it keeps the other team from scoring. And in spite of the yardage given up against Miami, that’s exactly what our defense did. On the one hand, the fact that they regularly got into GT territory is frustrating:

OTOH, the INT’s weren’t all on the QB making mistakes. I’m sure the work our defense was doing rattled him.

They had 453 yards of offense to our 99 yards of offense. And we still won. So I’d say defense is doing something right. Could it be prettier? Sure. Always could be. But as long as the points are going into our column rather than theirs, I’ll take it, any day.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
There's the argument for a third linebacker. Need to keep him contained. This is a game that should help determine the ability of our DC to take away the strength of our opponent.
Exactly my thoughts too. Sherrer can earn his keep by developing a gameplan to contain the QB. BC has been very one dimensional up to this point - hopefully we're not the "coming out party" for their offense. If we continue the improved open field tackling, we have a chance.

And can we talk about Moala? He had a good game vs Miami and had been showing some flashes in the weeks prior. This is a really big game for our LBs and we need that unit to step up and show out.

I think our offense will thrive against them. We have enough speed across the offense to cause major problems for them. I'm not worried about our offense. If our D can bow up, we'll win this one.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
With nothing better to do with my time, I watched BC against Army. Just one game but it seemed that Castellanos is just about the whole team. He leads them in rushing, passing, and he is probably trying to figure out a way to pad his stats with receiving yards as well. He would have been perfect as an old single wing tailback. If General Neyland had seen him play he would have been salivating at the thought of a triple threat Tennessee tailback back in the day.
Well he still does not lead the team in receiving. So I am not worried!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I wrote in another thread that Castellano reminds me a lot of Justin Thomas. He does and I expect them to score somewhere around 28 - 31 points. Oth, Their D is … challenged. If we can score around 33 - 35 points then all will be well. But you never know with either outfit; expectations keep being under/over fulfilled in no predictable pattern.

It is true that his is the big one for either team getting to 6 wins and a shot at a bowl game. Hope it's Tech!

Update: Why doesn't Tech have a schedule remaining like BC does? Tech's AD has got to start scheduling to win!

Last edited:

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We had 250 yards. The 99 yards was just the rushing total.
What amazes me is that GT had 176 yds total offense and 77 yds passing with less than 40 seconds left in the game and then had 74 yds passing in the final 30 seconds.

Given how little the offense accomplished that game - only 2 drives of more than 4 plays, only 1 drive of over 50 yds, only 2 drives of over 26 yds (until the last drive) - it is amazing the offense scored, as they had been mostly stoned by Miami's defense throughout the game.

I came so close to turning to another channel with 1:21 left on the clock as there was no way GT could get the ball back at that point unless Miami made one of the dumbest decisions in football history - and they did. Not only did Miami make the decision once, they did it twice as they ran the ball on the play before the fumble as well.

It was also pointed out that Miami had not taken a knee in any game this year and that Cristobal's decision in this game was eerily similar to the 2018 Oregon-Stanford game (with the same result).

They also were snapping the ball with time on the clock. They easily could have run another 15 seconds or more off the clock on that final drive if they ran the clock down more. There were so many poor in-game management decisions on that last drive - but i'll happily take a win any day. One of my favorite last second wins as GT should never even have had the opportunity to win that game.