#DUKEvsGT Postgame Discussion

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
The positive is at least we played pretty pretty clean in the 2nd half. That was laughably bad from both sides that first half. Really nice to see all those XP's go through as well.

Malachi Carter has really become a very solid receiver this year. Can go up and get it but is also learning to do a lot of the little things like bailing his QB out on break downs.

Obviously Gibbs and Mason are studs but I'd be fully conformable starting any of our top 5 RB's if necessary. That kind of depth will go a long way if we can sustain it (and improve depth at OL).

Still think we could've very easily have lost that game if Duke played clean. We cleaned it up the 2nd half and they did not. No matter how ****ty Duke is this year, I'm just glad I can at least say **** Duke again.
Duke probably could have won if they played clean. That wouldn’t be Duke though. They led the country in turnovers lost coming in and well, they kept it going. That’s just who they are this year.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I've been consistent....been saying that ever since they beat us at HC while I was at GT, when losing to Duke was much more socially unacceptable than what it has become over the last 8 or so years.. That game was a disaster and I was such a boor that I never got a second date with a really nice Emory coed. OTOH, if she can sit through a Tech loss and take it in stride like it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of life, I don't think that relationship would have survived. I don't like shallow people anyways. The woman I married, a Uga girl and from a Uga famiily, has been converted and she at least pretends like she cares about it!
My App State wife cares about GT enough to check scores and read the AJC articles about the games. I am lucky to have a wife that understands pass interference rules as well as the infield fly rule. It certainly helps us avoid always talking about politics.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I really have no idea if CGC butts in on defense. All I'm saying is tell Thacker what you want in a coaches meeting and let him call the defense. I don't know what happens at practice but if you want the players to trust your DC than he needs to make the calls.
To be honest Coach O'leary also was a very good DC but was too involved with the defense when he was the Head coach. The coach that works with the players at practice needs to be the onr that calls the plays if you don't let him than you picked the wrong coordinator.
and really the Austin thing was not the same thing first it was a player and second he was saying it to himself out loud.
But he does makes make the calls so not sure what you are complaining about.

SoMsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Losing results in more excuses when the team wins we are all united in joy. Strangely when you win in the trenches and all you have to do is call inside zone left inside zone right, outside zone when they crash and play action to keep them honest you look like a genius.
If it is working and your opponent can not stop it, why would you run a different series of plays. There are no magic plays. It's all about OL.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
You cannot be nit picking a coach defending his player on a microphone this much.

Sit down and think about WHO he wants to hear that message. It’s not you; he could care less about what you think he should be saying.

(Hypothetical) I’m a 17 year old kick returner in high school who has made the same mistake yet here I am with a Georgia Tech offer sitting in front of me... you may not like it, but you have to think about the things he says in this manner.

His words are strategically thought out. Don’t harp on it too much.
Yes I can. There’s a difference between standing up for the player and completely dismissing the mistake. What he did actually draws more attention to it. He should have just said, “that’s not what we are looking for, the kid made a mistake and we are confident that he will learn from it. In the meantime I’m not going to beat him up over it because we all make mistakes” Instead he said the kid did nothing wrong. Maybe he meant the kid did what he was told...which is also fine, but that’s very different than what he said. And if his words are strategically thought out then he should think about what they really mean.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I think he’s saying that it’s a good play to catch the ball while already out of bounds (i.e., generate a “kick out of bounds” penalty), so that GT gets the ball at the 35. If so, I agree with CGC and it would be the opposite takeaway from what you are suggesting.
Huh? What good does catching the ball while out of bounds do? That’s a weak stance.

Look, I’m not mad at Dontae. It was a mistake. Learn from it and move on. But don’t try to say it wasn’t a mistake. I bet if you asked Dontae he would say it was a mistake...probably Tashard as well

Milwaukee

Banned
Huh? What good does catching the ball while out of bounds do? That’s a weak stance.

Look, I’m not mad at Dontae. It was a mistake. Learn from it and move on. But don’t try to say it wasn’t a mistake. I bet if you asked Dontae he would say it was a mistake...probably Tashard as well
You have no clue what you’re talking about. The play is to put 1 foot out of bounds on purpose and touch the live ball that is in the field of play. You automatically get the ball at the 35. It’s a loophole in the rule that savvy football coaches and players understand. Unfortunately a lot of fans don’t. Exhibit A.
It’s coached on Saturdays and Sundays regularly. You obviously didn’t know, but now you know so you can stop trying to rant as if it wasn’t a heads up football play. K?
Good.

You have no clue what you’re talking about. The play is to put 1 foot out of bounds on purpose and touch the live ball that is in the field of play. You automatically get the ball at the 35. It’s a loophole in the rule that savvy football coaches and players understand. Unfortunately a lot of fans don’t. Exhibit A.
It’s coached on Saturdays and Sundays regularly. You obviously didn’t know, but now you know so you can stop trying to rant as if it wasn’t a heads up football play. K?
Good.
But IIRC it didn't work, so the refs apparently were not aware of the loophole.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

Because if the ball bounces inbounds and dies at the 1, or goes thru the end zone, you are in a worse spot. If you have the ability to catch a borderline ball with one foot out of bounds, you are guaranteed to start your drive at the 35.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer

Is the premise that by having one foot out of bounds that it creates a kick out of bounds penalty? I guess if that’s where he’s coming from then I can see the rationale, but I disagree with the strategy. The risk of playing around in that situation is exactly what happened.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
But IIRC it didn't work, so the refs apparently were not aware of the loophole.
Well it didn’t work because he caught it in bounds before his foot went down. The problem with the strategy is that this is being done at the 5 yard line. If you fail you’re pinned deep. 99% of the time the ball will go out of bounds anyhow based on trajectory. Then the next most likely scenario is a touchback to the 25.

So Collins is data driven. I wonder what the expected starting field position is based on all probable outcomes of trying to catch the ball vs. letting it hit. Honestly don’t know, but I’d always let the ball bounce there instead of introducing the risk of a human screwing it up

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Well it didn’t work because he caught it in bounds before his foot went down. The problem with the strategy is that this is being done at the 5 yard line. If you fail you’re pinned deep. 99% of the time the ball will go out of bounds anyhow based on trajectory. Then the next most likely scenario is a touchback to the 25.

So Collins is data driven. I wonder what the expected starting field position is based on all probable outcomes of trying to catch the ball vs. letting it hit. Honestly don’t know, but I’d always let the ball bounce there instead of introducing the risk of a human screwing it up
My guess, giving the benefit of the doubt, is that part of the coaching is, “if you can’t get there or have any doubt, let the ball bounce”. Same thing as fielding a punt. Seems like an obvious coaching point.

Obviously need to reconsider the strategy if it’s executed poorly in the game. Executed properly, the “analytics” guarantee you start at the 35. And the rules to execute are pretty simple.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

Yeah, even if the out of bounds straddle play is better percentage wise with perfect execution all the time it seems like the human error factor which will be significantly higher with college players makes it a losing strategy.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Can anyone explain why that kickoff where Duke's receiver didn't call a fair catch, waited, called one, picked up the ball at the 2, ran and got tackled in the endzone, wasn't a safety? Are safeties not allowed during kickoffs?
Just ask Orwin Smith that question. He gave a safety to one of our opponents during his time at Tech. I think I have seen it a few times with our team.

Go Jackets!

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I have seen some negative negative comments about David Curry on here from time to time. I saw last night where he caused an interception by tipping the pass and a fumble by knocking the ball out of the runner’s hands. He did not get line score credit for either but caused both. He is undersized but plays extremely hard.
Sorry to nitpick, but in what world is Curry undersized?

WearGoldToGameDays

Georgia Tech Fan
Coach already said he won't yell at kids on the sideline at a game, but also did say that at practice it's a different story.
Now unless any one here has watched a practice we can't speak on what they are or are not doing.
I’ve been to two practices before. He doesn’t Nick Saban level yell but he does raise his voice and is very intense. He also told a DB to stay after practice to work with him on his tackling technique - he was tackling wrong and in a way that could hurt his neck.

IMO he is doing the right thing. He is strict but fair and does not go overboard with the yelling.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Before I say anything else, really glad for team and coaches that we got this one put in the win column.

Pros - our RB's, including our QB, doing some work. Some of the O line played well tonight. Curry had an absolutely great game. Domineck did as well. Kickoff coverage was mainly good.

Cons - WAY too many penalties. 3 turnovers is too much. 2 extremely boneheaded ST plays in the first half. AND, what happened to Harvin? Was he hurt in any of the "fun" activities? Or, was it something else?

Anyway, props to CDP on a good game. We are still mainly a running team, and those yards on the ground felt good.
Harvin has been hurt since the Clemson game. Collins said he wasn’t 100% so they didn’t want to risk anything