Duke Week - Twitter Notes

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Cut basically said in one comment that we have sub par talent but coach them up to be successful. Backhanded compliment yes. Would be less galling coming from a team such as FSU, Clemson, or even the mutts. But duke??? Cut later said they have to overcome our scheme and CPJ play calls by whipping us physically. Someone vastly overrates his own team's toughness and physical ability IMO.

They get us on a bye...that hels them......but I hope we knock their ***** in the dirt.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Yeah @Techster and @kg01, I thought of that because Cutcliffe does specifically praise D Thomas and "name drops" him as someone he has worked with through Peyton so he is letting it be implied that he knows as "fact" that Bey Bey would not have chosen Tech.

I think Bey Bey actually addressed that before in interviews and said he "probably wouldn't have" gone to Tech if recruited by CPJ originally. But that is not all he has ever said. Even if that is true or stated as such by Bey Bey, Dwyer, Nesbitt, Andrew Gardner, Michael Johnson, or anyone else who was here before CPJ then those guys still all stayed. One way or another they were all likely concerned when CPJ was hired and many of them had to be convinced to stay. But Bey Bey in particular both stayed and shone out in the offense and ended up the first wide receiver taken in the draft. He bought in and I have never heard him criticize the offense or CPJ from then to now. Cheese can tell us who of the top tier athletes already here did make some negative comments about the possible impact of the offense on his professional career. :)

I would be hard pressed to believe that D Thomas would buy the load of horse hockey Cutcliffe is spewing in this presser though. He says there is no reason for any big time receiver to choose to play for CPJ but if nothing else there are whatever reasons actually did persuade Bey Bey to stay.

And then Cutcliffe seriously wants to be dismissive of Smelter, Waller (even Summers and the rest)? Really tees me off . . .

So no receiver since Calvin or Bey Bey at Tech is anywhere close to those two? Ok, so what? Why is that a surprise? The exact same is true at basically every single college you can name. Certainly UGA, certainly Duke. Arguably at even Alabama despite Julio Jones. Seriously, in the time since Thomas has left Tech how many schools can claim to have had 2 or even just one receiver equal to either of them?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
And a few people have been wondering why I said for the last couple of weeks that the team and staff want Duke...Even moreso now.

The two teams and staff don't like each other...at all.

If you listened to the CPJ radio show you will hear his subtle blows as well..."Duke is Duke" then he goes on to add they are a team that wont beat themselves...a backhanded compliment as well...Then the next line...We have been pretty successful against Duke. How often does CPJ say that about a team?

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Don't forget CTR was head coach there and they fired him. He probably deserved it with his record there, but I'm sure he wants to curb stomp them...

Treb1982

Jolly Good Fellow
Last year during his coaches show CPJ said something like "lets talk about those dangerous cut blocks" referring to a quote from Cutcliff I assume.

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
I really think Cut knows he stands very little chance with our TO execution getting better every game. Say what you want about Cut, but he is a pretty good coach and I'm sure he sees what every other coach sees in the film room. I think he is trying to bait Paul into proving a point by throwing it a little more than we normally would to bring our ridiculous 3rd down conversion rate down a bit . But it won't work. Look for 360+ on the ground Saturday and 35+ in TOP. Duke is going down and Cut knows it.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
I really think Cut knows he stands very little chance with our TO execution getting better every game. Say what you want about Cut, but he is a pretty good coach and I'm sure he sees what every other coach sees in the film room. I think he is trying to bait Paul into proving a point by throwing it a little more than we normally would to bring our ridiculous 3rd down conversion rate down a bit . But it won't work. Look for 360+ on the ground Saturday and 35+ in TOP. Duke is going down and Cut knows it.
Maybe he wants Paul to think that he is trying to bait Paul, but in reality ...

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I agree, if the yardage is there on the ground then Cpj is taking that money to the bank. If we have a comfortable lead late then i could totally see him going to an air assault just to prove a point

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The obvious thing Cutcliffe is missing is that DT didn't disappear when CPJ got here...he thrived. It's not like DT played in this offense and all of a sudden his stock plummetted and he wasn't drafted or was a low round draft pick. DT didn't come here as a 4/5 star either...he was a 3 star guy that most other schools wanted at TE. DT developed into the first WR chosen in the first round!

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
The obvious thing Cutcliffe is missing is that DT didn't disappear when CPJ got here...he thrived. It's not like DT played in this offense and all of a sudden his stock plummetted and he wasn't drafted or was a low round draft pick. DT didn't come here as a 4/5 star either...he was a 3 star guy that most other schools wanted at TE. DT developed into the first WR chosen in the first round!
1st receiver drafted, and now 2nd best in the entire NFL. Yeah, I think he's really regretting his choice to stick with us. Cutcliffe is a douche nozzle.

JT5

Banned
Yeah @Techster and @kg01, I thought of that because Cutcliffe does specifically praise D Thomas and "name drops" him as someone he has worked with through Peyton so he is letting it be implied that he knows as "fact" that Bey Bey would not have chosen Tech.

I think Bey Bey actually addressed that before in interviews and said he "probably wouldn't have" gone to Tech if recruited by CPJ originally. But that is not all he has ever said. Even if that is true or stated as such by Bey Bey, Dwyer, Nesbitt, Andrew Gardner, Michael Johnson, or anyone else who was here before CPJ then those guys still all stayed. One way or another they were all likely concerned when CPJ was hired and many of them had to be convinced to stay. But Bey Bey in particular both stayed and shone out in the offense and ended up the first wide receiver taken in the draft. He bought in and I have never heard him criticize the offense or CPJ from then to now. Cheese can tell us who of the top tier athletes already here did make some negative comments about the possible impact of the offense on his professional career. :)

I would be hard pressed to believe that D Thomas would buy the load of horse hockey Cutcliffe is spewing in this presser though. He says there is no reason for any big time receiver to choose to play for CPJ but if nothing else there are whatever reasons actually did persuade Bey Bey to stay.

And then Cutcliffe seriously wants to be dismissive of Smelter, Waller (even Summers and the rest)? Really tees me off . . .

So no receiver since Calvin or Bey Bey at Tech is anywhere close to those two? Ok, so what? Why is that a surprise? The exact same is true at basically every single college you can name. Certainly UGA, certainly Duke. Arguably at even Alabama despite Julio Jones. Seriously, in the time since Thomas has left Tech how many schools can claim to have had 2 or even just one receiver equal to either of them?
To top it off Smelter was more highly recruited than D Thomas as well as Stephen Hill