Duke Week - Twitter Notes

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Team and staff wants Duke.

OK, it's something behind the scenes.

We have beaten Duke like 16 of the last 18 times we have played them. They are not a football school bringing 20K fans to the Tulane game at Duke this year. Duke is Duke and will just be a nuisance until they beat us a few times. Watching the Miami-Duke game, Miami was clearly the better team but the game was in Miami rather than the morgue stadium in Durham. So I don't get why the team is more fired up for Duke than NCState or Miami or UVa ....... so what if Duke got lucky in the schedule and injuries to opposing teams key players last year? They are still Duke as Miami showed.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
OK, it's something behind the scenes.

We have beaten Duke like 16 of the last 18 times we have played them. They are not a football school bringing 20K fans to the Tulane game at Duke this year. Duke is Duke and will just be a nuisance until they beat us a few times. Watching the Miami-Duke game, Miami was clearly the better team but the game was in Miami rather than the morgue stadium in Durham. So I don't get why the team is more fired up for Duke than NCState or Miami or UVa ....... so what if Duke got lucky in the schedule and injuries to opposing teams key players last year? They are still Duke as Miami showed.
Iirc one of those losses was basically a blowout game Gailey lost to Duke (on the road at least). I am glad that the team has a way to get the gameday "hate" on for one of the teams we play annually which could always end up being a "what the?" kind of loss since we generally have beaten them. Now if only the could also get a permanent desire to take down UVA every year as well.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
OK...whoever knows the deal with Duke and our staff, spill it. I mean, CPJ OWNS Cutcliffe...not sure why Cutcliffe would want to poke on a swarm of yellow jackets.

Bigb

Jolly Good Fellow
OK...whoever knows the deal with Duke and our staff, spill it. I mean, CPJ OWNS Cutcliffe...not sure why Cutcliffe would want to poke on a swarm of yellow jackets.

It's been spelled out pretty clearly already in this thread.

We're a recruiting rival. Cut is apparently big on negative recruiting us. I'm sure Johnson has heard this through the grapevine and wants to send a message.

They're also the reigning division champs. Knock them down a peg.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It's been spelled out pretty clearly already in this thread.

We're a recruiting rival. Cut is apparently big on negative recruiting us. I'm sure Johnson has heard this through the grapevine and wants to send a message.

That's it? A lot of teams negative recruit us.

My philosophy on recruiting is all's fair in love and war. If someone is doing negative recruiting and it isn't true, you call them out on it with data. If they're negative recruiting using data/info that is true, and you're losing recruits over it, you need to do a better job of recruiting. Unless someone flat out lies and spreads untrue rumors (i.e. I hear CPJ is getting fired after the season...one of CPJ's former players says that he would never play for CPJ again because he lied to get the player there...etc). Other than that, recruiting is life blood of a sports program. You do whatever you need to do above board and without misleading a kid to get him to sign.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Cut's press conference can be found here
http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?&db_oem_id=4200&id=3455672

It's a pretty good opposition take on our team You'll probably need to find it in the menu on the right.
Ok I watched it. Real bulletin board material starts at around 9 minutes. Smelter especially needs to see this, as do all of our wide receivers. Smelter gets mentioned by name from the reporter as another in a long line of "big play wide receivers" and Cutcliffe just shakes his head and says Smelter and all Tech's wide receivers since Calvin and D Thomas are "not anything like" those two and then added that neither Calvin or D. Thomas would have gone to Tech if it was running CPJ's offense. Even if the first part of this claim is not all that debatable as wrong the second part is just silly counterfactual speculation. Overall, I am just surprised that someone with his reputation as a good coach would feed such bulletin board fodder so easily to the media and expose his negative recruiting spiel to the world.

He is definitely on my "punch in the face" list (hat tip to Yoda).

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Ok I watched it. Real bulletin board material starts at around 9 minutes. Smelter especially needs to see this, as do all of our wide receivers. Smelter gets mentioned by name from the reporter as another in a long line of "big play wide receivers" and Cutcliffe just shakes his head and says Smelter and all Tech's wide receivers since Calvin and D Thomas are "not anything like" those two and then added that neither Calvin or D. Thomas would have gone to Tech if it was running CPJ's offense. Even if the first part of this claim is not all that debatable as wrong the second part is just silly counterfactual speculation. Overall, I am just surprised that someone with his reputation as a good coach would feed such bulletin board fodder so easily to the media and expose his negative recruiting spiel to the world.

Yikes. I always thought of Cutcliffe as classy and above all that.

The funny thing is Demaryius Thomas absolutely loves CPJ and visits him every year when he comes here to train. Interesting thing is DT has trained at Duke the previous 2 seasons with Peyton Manning under the guidance of Cutcliffe. I wonder if Cutcliffe has spoken with DT about playing in this offense and is now twisting/misrepresenting things and putting it out in the open. If I'm DT, I'm telling Cutcliffe to back the F off my college coach.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Yikes. I always thought of Cutcliffe as classy and above all that.

The funny thing is Demaryius Thomas absolutely loves CPJ and visits him every year when he comes here to train. Interesting thing is DT has trained at Duke the previous 2 seasons with Peyton Manning under the guidance of Cutcliffe. I wonder if Cutcliffe has spoken with DT about playing in this offense and is now twisting/misrepresenting things and putting it out in the open. If I'm DT, I'm telling Cutcliffe to back the F off my college coach.

You might be onto something. He's not Muschamp here. He's not just spouting off. There's a method to his "madness". Probably trying to let people make that connection that DT told him and Manning STTE.

It's ok though. Beating Duke is still a yearly tradition for us although they've caught so many other ACC foes slippin'. My prediction is history will look back on last year as a blip on the mediocre radar for Mr. Magoo and his tenure at Duke.

GPD

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm so happy to read this, i truly hate Duke andi want everyone else to as well, especially Coach and the team. I Hope we get a chance to run it up on them

Uga&DukeBlow-----I have been watching, cheering, and going to Tech games for 45 years and I've never "hated" Duke..... Then tonight happened. A magical moment... that awkward transition from indifference to disdain, from disdain to hoping for the very worst results for their program. I was enjoying watching them win a few games, was "proud" of their effort in the CFA bowl.

Now, after listening to that presser, I now officially request your consideration for membership into Club Hate.

I have never heard a Coach (including Ga's coaches) attempt to discredit an entire program's recruiting efforts like that in public.

He essentially said "Why would ANYONE want to go to school there?" Bush league and WEAK... that is stuff dummy fans do to each other, NOT coaches. And besides that, try to beat someone before flapping your mouth like the classless chump you have now proven yourself to be.

And for anyone reading this that thinks I'm exaggerating, please listen to it.....

Congrats Duke, tonight you have earned a new detractor...someone that hopes for the very worst for you...that now hopes your inevitable return to losing 9-10 a year finds an accelerated path... I hope we find ourselves in a position to humiliate you this weekend... I've always endorsed the annual "kneel downs" we graciously gift you at the end of each game... Can't support that any longer :)......... suffer like the pathetic loser you are. I hope CPJ and Coach Pelton don't "chop block" YOU following your 7th consecutive humiliation... surely we're better than that.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You know what, Cutcliffe can speculate whether or not Calvin and DT would have came to GT if CPJ had been here...but speculation is as far as he'll get. You know what is fact?

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/footba...b2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkA1ZJUDMwNF8x?gid=200810040004

Demaryius Thomas put up 230 yards on 9 catches against Duke in 2008 playing in CPJ's offense. He did it with our backup QB throwing to him. Don't need to speculate about that.

AtWork

Jolly Good Fellow

Maybe he's saying these things to get us to throw...

yellojello

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe he's saying these things to get us to throw...

This is also my worry. Well, one of my worries. I hope our players and coaches maintain their emotional equilibrium and don't let this rant affect their decisions. Controlled emotion is good, but losing control is not.

AtWork

Jolly Good Fellow
This is also my worry. Well, one of my worries. I hope our players and coaches maintain their emotional equilibrium and don't let this rant affect their decisions. Controlled emotion is good, but losing control is not.
I would rather beat them throwing 4 passes for 4 and all being td's. Oh yeah, and run the hell out of the ball.