Duke Week - Twitter Notes

Duke has had two weeks to prepare they will have a decent game plan in place to slow down the option. I think it's gonna be a JT's hand and for him to pass the ball down field in this one. Smelter & Waller should have good days.
My guess is that the two weeks was focused more on Duke's offense. Coach Cut is smart enough to know we are going to get our points, and we are going to limit his possessions. Duke was manhandled by Miami's defense, so they have to be better offensively. Every possession for them will have to be money. There will be a lot of passes coming our way. I hope we are ready and somewhere find a pass rush.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Cut's comments on difficulty recruiting to Tech:
If you're a defensive player, you're really not excited about Spring practice going against that offense. [something about not preparing for next level] If I'm a receiver, why? If I'm a big time back, you're really not doing what you would do at the next level (or words to that effect)
... current receivers are nothing like Calvin Johnson and Demaryus Thomas, ... the first 3 [sic] wouldn't go there with that offense

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
If you're a defensive player, you're really not excited about Spring practice going against that offense. [something about not preparing for next level] If I'm a receiver, why? If I'm a big time back, you're really not doing what you would do at the next level (or words to that effect)
... current receivers are nothing like Calvin Johnson and Demaryus Thomas, ... the first 3 [sic] wouldn't go there with that offense
Wow! Where can I listen to or read those comments in original context? Dude's gonna make my sh-- list it looks like.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
I guess this is a compliment? Cutcliffe sees GT as the rival for the smart but good athlete. The same kinda kid he needs to get at Duke. So he flaps his gums about "something something Manning...something something pedigree..."

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
My understanding is that Cutcliffe may be a great coach and all but that he has seriously engaged in negative recruiting against Tech since he got there and this may be some evidence of what he likes to say on that topic. I am very curious to read his comments. I guess he deems it a strategy he needs to use against Tech and so sees us as a main competitor over recruits.

I do know that CPJ's teams have played them as if they circle the game on the calendar every year without regard to either teams current conference standings going into it. Same seems to go for UNC so maybe CPJ just likes to try and whoop schools from his own home state. :p
Vandy tried negative recruiting against us. See where there are now? That's where you are going Duke.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Team and staff wants Duke.

I'm pretty sure that CPJ's contract as an incentive tied to beating Duke. In Cut's interview, he talked about why you play the game and being a competitor etc, and one of the reporters asked him in light of these comments if he thinks about how he hasn't beat GT. Cut's reply had some jokes in it but basically said, "Of course."

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm pretty sure that CPJ's contract as an incentive tied to beating Duke. In Cut's interview, he talked about why you play the game and being a competitor etc, and one of the reporters asked him in light of these comments if he thinks about how he hasn't beat GT. Cut's reply had some jokes in it but basically said, "Of course."
Why would we have an incentive for Duke? Are you sure?

Incidentally, we would be bowl eligible with this win, and there should be an incentive for that.

Or is this TIC in terms of winning the Coastal? ;)

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Why would we have an incentive for Duke? Are you sure?

Incidentally, we would be bowl eligible with this win, and there should be an incentive for that.

I don't know the answer to why, but I'm pretty sure (90+%) that I saw beating Duke explicitly in the contract that I saw a few years ago.

Pj4prez01

Jolly Good Fellow
I

I hope smelter goes for 150 and 3 TD. Although he may be trying to con PJ into passing more because he knows he won't be able to stop the run.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't know the answer to why, but I'm pretty sure (90+%) that I saw beating Duke explicitly in the contract that I saw a few years ago.
I looked up the PDF of the contract (also linked at the article below), and there is no mention of Duke.

I think this misconception might have resulted from 2009 articles like this:
http://gtsports.blogspot.com/2009/11/coach-paul-johnsons-contract.html?m=1

The 200k bonus mentioned there was for winning the ACC, but we needed to beat Duke first to get there.

Animal02

Banned
Performance bonuses for CPJ
$125k - Each Season team achieves Graduation rate of 70%
$25k - APR rate of 930, bumps to $50k for 940, $75k for 950
$200k - ACC Champion
$75k - Bowl Game, bumps to $200k for BCS game
$50K - Bowl win
$250K - National championship
$25K - ACC Coach of year by one of several groups (non cumulative)
$50K - Bobby Dodd Coach of Year or several other Coach of Year (non cumulative)
$10k - Ranked in top 25 during year
$25k - Ranked in top 25 final regular season poll
$50k - Ranked in top 10 after bowl game (maximum cumulative payout $50k total for being ranked in season)

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I looked up the PDF of the contract (also linked at the article below), and there is no mention of Duke.

The 200k bonus mentioned there was for winning the ACC, but we needed to beat Duke first to get there.
Yeah it seemed very strange to me if DRad or CPJ would have ever come up with that as an incentive. I could see possibly throwing in an incentive to beating UGA but other game bonuses tied to a specific team would be very odd and need an explanation.

Thanks for the research Cyptomcat.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Yeah, that was probably what I remembered seeing. Thanks for the clarification, and I apologize to any that I misled. Hopefully, my "pretty sure" and 90+% were caveats enough. At least I wasn't making it up completely.