Duke Vs Ga Tech Recruiting since 2015

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I know it don't matter but a few of us have been season ticket holders for close to 40 years and we see a pattern this year we have seen before. Like him or not I know we have him a long time , maybe too long I just want to see better coaching which I have not the last few games.
That's fair, I'm only 21 so the only coaches I know are CCG, CPJ, and now CGC. I just see a coach who has been successful everywhere he has been and just needs a little time and patience from the fan base. It just ticks me off a little that some people are not willing to do this.

Animal02

Banned
They aren't rhetorical, they can be answered with facts that y'all choose to ignore. The Citadel game sucked and that is on Collins, but I'm not going to judge a coach on one season. If I did that, then Bobby Ross would have been one of the worst coaches in Tech history.
Ross was at least competitive in some of his game....and beat teams he should have. A better comparison is B.L.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
How many upperclassmen do we have and how many do they have? What system were their players recruited for and what system were our players recruited for? How many years have they ran that system and how many years have our players ran our system?

These were the difference in the game. Each of these things matter and for a bunch of fans who are supposedly "smart", y'all sure can't grasp this reality.

I can grasp the reality that we looked unprepared and not ready to play football for two straight weeks so that by the time we righted the ship in the second half the game was essentially over. Talent or lack thereof has little to do with a team not being ready to play from the get go.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I know it don't matter but a few of us have been season ticket holders for close to 40 years and we see a pattern this year we have seen before. Like him or not I know we have him a long time , maybe too long I just want to see better coaching which I have not the last few games.

Hard to compare this year to any other, given the change. I hear you but I hope you can hang in there!

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Ross was at least competitive in some of his game....and beat teams he should have. A better comparison is B.L.
You're ignoring the point I was making to fit your narrative. We don't know how CGC is going to turn out, but we need time to figure it out.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Hard to compare this year to any other, given the change. I hear you but I hope you can hang in there!

It is indeed, a challenging transition all things considered but that should not keep us from at least looking like we are prepared to play football. I know that Duke is well coached, has a scheme in place, and so forth but the fact of the matter is that they are not exactly the kind of team that should be some kind of gridiron machine but here we were at the end of the first half getting run off the field.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
You are ignoring the evidence in front of you for some "hope" in the future.
No, I'm looking at his entire career and not one season to give me hope for the future. You can do you and be miserable, but I'm going to be optimistic. I believe CGC is the man for the job and I'm going to give him until year 3. If he doesn't win in year 3, I'll be ready to move on and I'll be optimistic about the next coach. I'm just willing to give him time to right the ship.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
DUKE RECRUITING SUPPORT STAFF SINCE 2015: 14

GEORGIA TECH PRIOR TO CGC: 4 (got these 2016 at the earliest)
Idk what it is now.

I hope this clears some things up.

Duke's recruiting ranking average since 2015 is about 48th and ours is about 49th. If they had all that support staff, they should have been doing better than barely top 50 I would think.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Duke's recruiting ranking average since 2015 is about 48th and ours is about 49th. If they had all that support staff, they should have been doing better than barely top 50 I would think.
They truly had a bad reputation/image in college football. I can see why they are taking a while. GT, on the other hand, has been pretty darn competitive. I guarantee if we had proper resources, recruiting would have been much better. Many things would have been better.

But now we have CGC and recruiting seems to be more his thing. Hopefully with more resources he can get recruiting back up as well.

I think a change in OC will come in the future anyways. Scheme isn't everything, and any scheme should be executable if it's well designed or coached. I just don't think the right guy is there on offense.

I promise this isn't a play at getting the option back, I just want a competent OC.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
They truly had a bad reputation/image in college football. I can see why they are taking a while. GT, on the other hand, has been pretty darn competitive. I guarantee if we had proper resources, recruiting would have been much better. Many things would have been better.

But now we have CGC and recruiting seems to be more his thing. Hopefully with more resources he can get recruiting back up as well.

I think a change in OC will come in the future anyways. Scheme isn't everything, and any scheme should be executable if it's well designed or coached. I just don't think the right guy is there on offense.

I promise this isn't a play at getting the option back, I just want a competent OC.
I'm really liking the LSU QB coach, Joe(?) Brady. I would love to get him as OC.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'm really liking the LSU QB coach, Joe(?) Brady. I would love to get him as OC.

He is a genius - Maybe we can get him for the future, but my guess is that he is already making close to or more than Coach P. But, if no one hires him as a HC, and we need one, maybe he will be available. We need an innovative genius to overcome what will always be a difficult recruiting situation.

GTFLETCH

Banned
This years 5th year seniors are class of 2015.

Duke - NAT 52 ACC 12
Tech - NAT 44 ACC 8

Duke - NAT 33 ACC 6
Tech - NAT 60 ACC 11

Duke - NAT 47 ACC 8
Tech - NAT 48 ACC 9

Duke - NAT 63 ACC 12
Tech - NAT 44 ACC 8

Duke - NAT 49 ACC 8
Tech - NAT 51 ACC 9

So Duke not only has been on par/ better then Tech most years they’ve also been recruiting for their own scheme. Duke also has a number of players from Georgia and Atlanta on the roster. I think we all agree that Tech should be out recruiting Duke every season, especially now that we have more money, coaches and a different scheme.

The main reason I shared this data isn’t to look for an excuse to why we lost to Duke. It’s to help put into perspective how out manned Tech is against every team we play. If these are the numbers against Duke you can all pretty much assume what it’s looks like when we compare recruiting to Miami, UNC, VT, UGA, Clemson etc. In my opinion The main reason Tech is struggling this season and has struggled since 2014 isn’t because of any coach or scheme but just simply because of recruiting.
Is it your opinion that we lost to Citadel this year becuase they recruit better than Georgia Tech?

Here we go again. So if this is all true the CPJ was a genius coach. All this recruiting crap is crap. It is all about player development and heart. I will point out this in one players name who probably was a 1 star........Jerry Mays....one of the greatest players in Tech history.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Since it appears that some people didn't see it, here's table I put together comparing Tech, VT, Rice, Purdue, and, since everybody was so upset (they weren't really; they were looking for an excuse to change coaches), Duke and Pitt. This uses the average stars for each team as rated by 247 (Rivals was almost identical). The ratings cited at the top of this thread are the composite overall ratings. Since these are so heavily influenced by how many slots you have open each year, I've always found them specious. As I do the "team ratings" used by both 27 and Rivals; these almost define giving noise priority over signal. Btw, da U, Clemson, UNC, and FSU recruit better then the rest of the ACC. I'm sure you're shocked.

screen-shot-2018-10-20-at-11-09-14-am-png.4340

As can be seen, Tech has been out-recuited by VT and (slightly) by Pitt, but not by Duke. They have been doing better since Mbob decided to starve the football program, however, and in recent years have narrowed the gap. I might also mention that there have been several analyzes like this in the last few years and all have found pretty much the same thing: Tech has actually recruited pretty well.

However, our problem, as the Slug noted in the other thread, has been attrition. Tech has lost a ton of players with great potential over the last 6 years, especially in skill positions (QB and BB) where their lose was particularly felt.

The point made above about the kind of player recruited, however, is well taken. One reason people here have disparaged our recruiting is because of the "low rankings" of the players. This is largely because they were recruited for the spread option, not the real high school offense, the shotgun spread. It is certainly true that this has caused problems with adjustment this year on O. I expect us to get better as the year goes on, but we do have to get some more game experience before we can actually see what our talent deficiencies are. And there is no doubt that there are some.