Duke Postgame

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I understand execution, which is no doubt part of the problem, but I think our OL's are getting frustrated because IMO, you have to stretch the field at least to some degree and slow down the LB's ... we are not doing that and they are losing the numbers game with too many bodies at the LOS.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
We have 9 offensive players head up with the box. If we run the triple on a balanced D we should be +2 blockers to defenders even if they stack the box with 9.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
We have 9 offensive players head up with the box. If we run the triple on a balanced D we should be +2 blockers to defenders even if they stack the box with 9.

OK, one is the QB and another is the ball carrier, now we are down to 7 and usually another Aback is out trying to block out on the corner now we have 6 "in the box", they have 4 DL's and 3 LB's all coming at the LOS and sometimes one of the corners crashing in because they don't respect the pass and play man coverage on our two receivers.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I understand execution, which is no doubt part of the problem, but I think our OL's are getting frustrated because IMO, you have to stretch the field at least to some degree and slow down the LB's ... we are not doing that and they are losing the numbers game with too many bodies at the LOS.

The last thing the OL she be thinking about is "we should be stretching the field". How about block just 1 guy

Tdippp

Ramblin' Wreck
We need to relax. There's still plenty of football to play. Let's focus on our next 2 games, get to the bye week and then lets see how we look once we get a chance to breath.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
in the very long but optimistic offseason blabbing on gts
First thing - we kick Axx when dc is not experienced . In 2014 last 3 games the opposing DC had minimal experience and were out coached. Uga - second year as dc and 5 years out of high school coach; fsu - second year as dc; msu - first game as a dc. The offense did great against excellent talent. Further - Ga southern, virginia tech, duke are experienced and WITH lessor talent give us fits .

Second thing - With our 2014 run lead by JET and with virtually all new WR , AB and BB it is obvious the defenses are going to force the new guys to beat them. I felt they would dial up the pressure making him give to bb and if not to bb then safeties and lb fly to play side to get ab after QB is forced to pitch - there will be no Orange bowl seams.

So far the two teams we played have experinced dc (nd plays navy and duke has beaten us twice). For both when ball not given to bb the db lb get to sideline faster than I remember seeing in all of 2014. Duke had several safety types playing as smaller but fast lb.

2014 our offense forced things to happen now it looks like the defense is dictating what happens. We need some different line ups to confuse the dc and slow down the pursuit . See my new 2015 tag line,.

Coach will get us going - he hates losing more than all of us.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Biggest difference between this year and last year is last year when we played like crap and the defense would do something great like get us the ball back at the Duke 40 down 6, we would end up winning and forget about the terrible game we played.

Buzz4Him

Georgia Tech Fan
OK not trying to be smug, but don't you think we need some diversity in the offensive play calling ? and have a scheme for 7-8 guys coming at the snap ?

I'm with ibeeballin. Execution is the key. If that ain't happening, you're gonna get blistered even worse with a balanced Offense, cause the execution will be even worse

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Some here see 7-8 in the box with #8 or 9 crashing down and currently think we can't beat that D. I see it and think, if guys make the correct damn block, we are one juke or slipped tackle from taking it to the house. Some of our biggest plays have come in these situations. But I get that things look impossible at times when we execute so poorly.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Thought this was one of the most telling photo of the game. Couldn't tell from my vantage point how so many Duke defenders were loose so often. I can't imagine that this was as designed. The team has a lot of things to work on in the next couple of days so I hope that they can keep their heads up and work through the challenges because the season is far from over.

Same goes for our own fans. It's tough but need to keep our heads up and be proud and loud at Bobby Dodd on Saturday against UNC. See you there.

georgia_tech_vs_duke_0383.jpg

DawgCatcher

Georgia Tech Fan
"...Thomas said he can’t put a finger on Tech’s offensive problems. 'If I could tell you, we wouldn’t be starting slow,' he said. 'We’ve got to play harder. We’ve got to make plays all around the board, me included.' ”

http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/092715aaa.html

It's a pretty serious situation when the seasoned QB can't figure out what the problem even is. I'm sure CPJ has probably already called an emergency meeting of his Offensive coaching assistants to see if they can nail these problems down. We seemed to have no answer for Cash. If we ran the ball to his side of the line, it was a recipe for disaster. Was ANYBODY ever blocking this guy??? He had a free ticket to the show on almost every play. The O-line seemed to be falling on their asses all day long like a bunch of beached whales.
Were they losing the fight in the trenches? Was the field just too damn wet for traction? Or, were the Duke D-Line defenders too elusive to block effectively?

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
Thought this was one of the most telling photo of the game. Couldn't tell from my vantage point how so many Duke defenders were loose so often. I can't imagine that this was as designed. The team has a lot of things to work on in the next couple of days so I hope that they can keep their heads up and work through the challenges because the season is far from over.

Same goes for our own fans. It's tough but need to keep our heads up and be proud and loud at Bobby Dodd on Saturday against UNC. See you there.

georgia_tech_vs_duke_0383.jpg

If the team has any pride, the OL will all tape this to their lockers and write "Never again" on it. I played OL in high school and that would flat out make me angry that my QB got mauled.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
Plain and simple the offense looks like a Chinese fire drill. We are blocking nobody!!! And this belly flopping we have resorted back to... No Bueno¡ Our 5 starters have regressed horribly. CPJ is not avoid of blame either. The past couple of games, opp. Defenses have been playing chess while we are still trying to differentiate btw the pawn and rook.

Of course, me being a defensive guy, I'm not giving the D a pass. I said it the prediction thread, Sirk cannot beat us with arm. Our doing a pretty lousy job scouting and putting a plan together imo. We should been loading the box making him think from kickoff. We better do the same next week or Elijah Hood will have a field day.

I've said it elsewhere but I'm worried about Mike Sewak.

As for the defense could it really be a lack of confidence in our players? And if it's a lack of confidence this year, could it be fear of catching CPJs wrath? Disclaimer: I don't know anything and am just wondering because in the past CPJ had seemed to blame the D very quickly on situations it wasn't clear the D failed. This could factor in to CTR conservative game planning.