Duke Postgame

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Were you at the game today? Did you see the homecoming crowd? Have you seen our crowds the last ten years? We might show well once a year (if we have a good night game) maybe. Otherwise we have a sparse crowd with pathetic excitement in the stands for our team regardless of how well it is or isn’t doing.

I don’t care who the head coach is. Until this changes recruiting will not improve in state.

It is a vicious cycle. One leads to the other.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
You’ve got it backwards. The commitment comes before the results. There’s no point in any further discussion until Tech fans make their peace with that, either accepting mediocre results and mediocre commitment, or putting out and then demanding more in return.

Maybe. I am out of ideas. Maybe the AD has something up his sleeve. It would appear that we have regressed. The overall play of the offensive line is the most disappointing aspect of this season. I really thought we would be good there. Guess not. I am encouraged by the slow progress of the defense. I think we are getting better there in some ways but not enough to beat a good team.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
3/4 years the ones that’s left are true fans I would say. We may all swear things but we are still here.

Even the ones in the stands kinda suck honestly. The majority of the crowd never makes noise for the D. Maybe half the crowd will make a little on 3rd downs. But we have one of the worst crowds in p5 football and it’s been this way for quite awhile.

The lady in front of me literally sits all game long and with her fingers in her ears. The stands are a wasteland of fans that appear to be watching a match at Wimbledon.

Really creates an atmosphere 3 star recruits just can’t say no to.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I'll admit, I drank a little bit of the kool-ade after the last two games. I thought we had turned a corner on execution, were settling in. Against two weaker teams, but that is what we needed.

Defense seems to be improving, but on O, against better competition we can't seem to get out of our own way. Today more than ever it was obvious that without a threat of a passing game, we are stuck in the mud.

Going for it on 4th down multiple times early in the game is a symptom of what's wrong.
Getting arm tackled at the line when running up the middle...when did that start being the the norm for us?
Duke is a good team. We should be competitive with good teams. We are not. Better teams are left on the schedule.

These are good observations but the sad fact is that right now we are not competitive with good teams like Duke much less top caliber teams like Miami and UGA.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
These are good observations but the sad fact is that right now we are not competitive with good teams like Duke much less top caliber teams like Miami and UGA.

We are competitive with them until we choke. And turn the ball over deep in our own territory back to back vs duhU...or back to back to back vs Puke.

Maybe our choking is a coaching problem...I’m just not quite sure exactly how. It’s not even the same players or units every time. It’s widespread.

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
Duke is a dirty team. Buttcliffe coaches them to play dirty. I still remember them trying to hurt JT. The refs at the game today were trash. They lost control in the 1st half. I am encouraged to see the defense continue to improve. Saint-Amour might have a chance at playing on Sundays if he continues to play the way he's playing. I feel like the play calling could have been better. We obviously need to have some kind of a passing game in order to beat the good teams. We aren't playing Bowling Green or Alcorn every week. Lastly, the east side of stands continue to disappoint in attendance. I don't know what but something should be done about that.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
What I don't see is what can turn this train wreck around. We are on a downward spiral and I just don't see anything PJ is doing to turn it around. It becomes more and more difficult to recruit really good players in the current situation. Not a particularly popular offense and a coach on a very warm seat.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
A lot of our problems yesterday were due to duke completely flooding the pitch lanes in the backfield and getting off blocks when we tried to pass. They have a scheme that has created problems for our O. Better coaching.
Speed option was killing them...

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Really was a good game until the late portion of the 3rd quarter. Tech should have won that game, but some key players blew it. Sorry, but that is a fact. Another fact is these are Paul Johnson's players and it's his offense. Sure we did great against Bowling Green and Louisville, but being down by 3 touchdowns and throwing passes out of the triple option formation is not going to get the job done. The coach is not going to make any changes and is not creative with his offense. I think the defense is improving.

Lawyer mark

Jolly Good Fellow
When to passed yesterday the trajectory and velocity seemed improved from tqm. Maybe if he were to pass more he would develop... at this point, can’t hurt to try...

GT_EE78

Banned
This post-game thread should have started when 28-7 . This offense doesn't have comeback potential. (even third and long potential is weak.)
punting on third down would be innovative if our Defense wasn't last in our division in "points allowed"

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but I think CPJ has "lost a step" in his play calling. Certain plays are just lost forever:

- WR reverse - surely that could have slowed some pursuit today
- Smoke route - WRs have a 10+ yard cushion at times. I have a hard time believing TQM can't complete that pass.
- A-Back drag routes - If TQM is struggling, give him something easy like Qua or Lynch on a drag.
- Fake Rocket Toss, inside A back counter
- QB sweep with pulling G and T to the weak side.

I am sure there are others, too. Smoke Route and WR Reverse would keep the corners and safeties at least a little honest. I think we have run one smoke route this year and no WR reverse since 2016 (maybe?). Why??

I usually steer clear of Paul's playcalling arguments, but this time I think a lot of it is on him. It was apparent from the git-go that Duke was selling out to cover our basic run game. When you do that, you should be vulnerable somewhere. But we didn't make much attempt at all to exploit what was there.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The one thing that gives me hope is our defense. They had some WTF moments yesterday, but overall I think they are improving. The 28 points was not totally on the defense.

I think the defense is beginning to find the right personnel combinations, and the game is starting to slow down for them in CNW's new scheme. I see progress with all the turnovers we're creating, the sacks, the negative plays, and overall performance.

Our offense needs to do a better job. If the offense can do what we're use to seeing from them, then we can turn this season around and at least make a bowl game in some faraway snowy city.

GT_EE78

Banned
The one thing that gives me hope is our defense. If the offense can do what we're use to seeing from them, then we can turn this season around and at least make a bowl game in some faraway snowy city.
If by some miracle a bowl game becomes possible, then i sure hope it doesn't have a blue field,