Duke Postgame

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
It's worth pointing out regarding the defense that, yes, we hemorrhaged yards. However, they got stops and turnovers, which historically has been a tradeoff we'd be willing to make. The issue was the two turnovers by the offense/special teams on consecutive plays.

This was the 2014 Southern game all over again. We'll see if they finish this year the way they did then.

I agree with that typically. The one I'm thinking of was off by almost a full yard, in my estimation. When it's that egregious it's worth the challenge, imo, particularly if it leads to a change in possession. My eyes could have deceived me and I could be wrong obviously.
From where I sat (East Club level today), your eyes didn't deceive you.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
It's worth pointing out regarding the defense that, yes, we hemorrhaged yards. However, they got stops and turnovers, which historically has been a tradeoff we'd be willing to make. The issue was the two turnovers by the offense/special teams on consecutive plays.

This was the 2014 Southern game all over again. We'll see if they finish this year the way they did then.

Defense is just missing that playmaker that changes the momentum. When we are reeling on D we seem to lack that one play to stabilize or swing it back. JT does it on offense. He definitely did that today.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Defense is just missing that playmaker that changes the momentum. When we are reeling on D we seem to lack that one play to stabilize or swing it back. JT does it on offense. He definitely did that today.
Momentum is a figment of your imagination.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
Everybody seems to be all over the map with their reaction to the game. So, here's my take too (lol)

I'm 30 years old and didn't play big time college football. Maybe because I'm a fan or maybe because I'm older and more mature, but for the life of me I cannot understand our team. You've had a week off and should be chomping at the bit for some more football. It was like everyone failed their midterm exams the week before the game. I saw the same thing boomer did in terms of very negative body language from virtually everyone. WHEN WE STILL HAD THE LEAD?!? I think we desperately miss the emotional stability and leadership that Synjyn provided for us in 2014. I think he single-handidly kept us positive, engaged, in every game. Unfortunately that also indicates that neither the team chaplain nor the coaching staff have been able to do the same thing. I just don't understand it. Whether you were the best player on your high school team or not, every single player we have should be playing at 110% every play. You have to play every snap like it is the last one you're gonna get. It's too easy to get hurt or get passed on the depth chart not to. I just don't get how no one was excited to be there.

Special teams were a bit special ed. I don't really understand why but our kickoff return team just kinda runs around and provides very little in the way of actual blocking. JJ Green has been a great returner but I'm not sure what possessed him to try and dance on the play he was injured on. Pick a direction and GO son. Also, Austin, take a knee if you catch the ball in the endzone. Seriously.

Defense: I don't have the slightest idea what's going on in Roof's head. I would expect that coaching defense under Paul Johnson would be a defensive coordinators dream: do whatever you want and coach will leave you alone to run your side of the ball no questions asked. Unless, of course, you suck. Then he's going to be pissed. Roof sucks. Whatever his "philosophy" is, does not work. What DOES work is being aggressive. We should blitz virtually every single play. This sit back garbage might work if everyone on defense is an athletic Greek god, but it hasn't been working here, ever. BUT, we'd have to learn how to blitz first. When we blitz our guys just run straight into blockers. Poorly, POORLY coached on defense. We have a lot more ability in our personnel than our coaches are getting out of them. Do we have top 10 potential? No, but we could be anywhere from 25 to 35. But that would take a philosophy change and a completely different defensive coaching staff.

We look horribly coached on defense. I could put out a defensive product that looks like that. The secondary is LOST. They have no clue how to work together as a unit and there isn't a single one of them who has been taught actual pass coverage skills. Give me a week and YouTube videos and we'd look better. The only reason we looked ok in the first half was because Dook kept shooting itself in the foot or dropping the ball, because our guys were out of position and the plays were there to be made.

Our D line couldn't push through a wet cardboard box. I don't know why every play we seem to attack the lineman in front of us instead of actually attempting to get past them and into the gaps. It's very frustrating.

Offense: big hat off to JT. He played a whale of a game. Can't ask any more of your QB.

The offense is hard to critique. We put up insane yards and scored 35 points. But. We missed a LOT of blocks. A LOT. I don't know what the deuce we teach our offensive linemen but it's clear the only thing they kind of know is how to do is pass block (I suspect it might be the new line coach. The other one has needed replacement for a long while.) Granted, Dook was selling out to stop the run with some gimmick things. But it still seemed like PJ was reluctant to take what was there sometimes. Now, plenty of people will say "but they got 600 yards and we had a W just shut up and be happy" but you have to be honest and realistic - the majority of the offense came from a Herculean effort by 1 special player. Which is awesome. We need that. I'll take it. But we didn't look like a finely tuned and oiled machine. Which doesn't make sense. Why is it so hard to teach our offense to players? Why is it that we are in game 8 and still struggling desperately to do the right things or block the right guys? Opposing defenses have lived in our backfield since the start of 2015.

We have not matured or developed as a team since week 2. And that is on the head coach. I don't think he's forgotten everything he knows, but he, and we, are very much in need of him taking a step back and looking at what he does and why. We need the same thing from Roof. Ultimately I'd prefer a different DC, DB coach, DL coach, and OL coach, just because I don't think the current ones are getting it done.

However, at the bare minimum the ones we have need a massive gut check. Roof needs to grab some of whatever inspired him after Dook and UNCin 2014 and start playing aggressively again. We are getting drug up and down the field by anyone and everyone. Do something, anything different. It can't be worse than what it is now.

Our players need to get excited. You're playing freakin college football. Everyone on the field should be awake and engaged and excited to just BE there, much less get to play. Explode! Make a play! Just, have a pulse!

I hope PJ tears everyone a new one including himself tomorrow. There's no excuse to be so discombobulated after a week off. If we wake up and fight we could win out. Or we could lose the rest of them. It's never as good or as bad as it seems so the result will probably be somewhere in between.

Jmonty71

Banned

2 stops. Should we throw a party? Yay!!! We forced 2 punts, in a game. New record...... And, no there is no trade off for bad defense. We cannot sit back and pray the other team messes up.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
The good is that with that win we will probably make a post season appearance now.

And even with the win we gave up enough yards and played so poorly on the defensive side of the ball that CPJ should still be able to see we need to make a change there. Why wait for another L before changing things? We need to get a fresh guy in to play call on D to see if we can gain some momentum going into next year. Giving up the kind of yardage we did saturday is purely unacceptable at every level. How we as fans are ok with such poor performance I don't have a clue. I hope we see some changes before next weekend when we have a real top 15 team lining up in front of us.

Lets all hope the JT can have another game of his life again. He won the Duke game for us let see if he can pull off a miracle against UNCheat

leftylover

Banned
This year...but you're correct, it's too late to move the pieces around. It's a shame because I think Allen has his own strengths the other two don't have, and it would be nice to see Marshall's quickness, agility, and speed on the perimeter.
The only thing keeping MM from getting more snaps is ball security

Jmonty71

Banned
Just watched a recording of the game. Here's my thoughts. Would love to see others.

1. Because of Duke's spread offense, we went to a traditional nickel package, most of the game.
2. Despite the fact that Duke (all season ) threw slants and used their TE as a weapon, we were not ready.
3. Our LBs showed the blitz way too early, therefore, allowing Duke the opportunity to change the call. Most of the time, the D ran the same blitz, afterwards.
4. We did not press up and play bump and run. This gave WRs free breaks, not bothering Duke's QB, with timing.
5. Despite the fact, our offense runs and option, our D struggles at stopping it.
6. Our D fails to control the LOS.
7. When we do blitz, our people seem to find an O lineman.
8. Our KR game is based solely on JJ Green. K
9. JT is still an electric player. His passing game is better than most think.
10. The offense showed up, big time. They were able to do, just enough to win.
11. I feel UNC and (maybe) VT, will light us up on the score board. VT is hot or cold on offense. Let's hope we catch them on a cold day.

Go Jackets!

Oh the mutts loss, so even better!

Let's hear your thoughts and concerns.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
The main thing I saw was a defense that wasn't prepared for the game again. Same people same poor play calling. No changes to D and more importantly no improvement. Not sure how long we can sit by and let the D just coast through the season with absolutely no improvement whatsoever.

Offense Did a fantastic job and JT made the game. He actually made a GT game exciting this year. Been missing those awesome big plays.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Everybody seems to be all over the map with their reaction to the game. So, here's my take too (lol)

I'm 30 years old and didn't play big time college football. Maybe because I'm a fan or maybe because I'm older and more mature, but for the life of me I cannot understand our team. You've had a week off and should be chomping at the bit for some more football. It was like everyone failed their midterm exams the week before the game. I saw the same thing boomer did in terms of very negative body language from virtually everyone. WHEN WE STILL HAD THE LEAD?!? I think we desperately miss the emotional stability and leadership that Synjyn provided for us in 2014. I think he single-handidly kept us positive, engaged, in every game. Unfortunately that also indicates that neither the team chaplain nor the coaching staff have been able to do the same thing. I just don't understand it. Whether you were the best player on your high school team or not, every single player we have should be playing at 110% every play. You have to play every snap like it is the last one you're gonna get. It's too easy to get hurt or get passed on the depth chart not to. I just don't get how no one was excited to be there.

Special teams were a bit special ed. I don't really understand why but our kickoff return team just kinda runs around and provides very little in the way of actual blocking. JJ Green has been a great returner but I'm not sure what possessed him to try and dance on the play he was injured on. Pick a direction and GO son. Also, Austin, take a knee if you catch the ball in the endzone. Seriously.

Defense: I don't have the slightest idea what's going on in Roof's head. I would expect that coaching defense under Paul Johnson would be a defensive coordinators dream: do whatever you want and coach will leave you alone to run your side of the ball no questions asked. Unless, of course, you suck. Then he's going to be pissed. Roof sucks. Whatever his "philosophy" is, does not work. What DOES work is being aggressive. We should blitz virtually every single play. This sit back garbage might work if everyone on defense is an athletic Greek god, but it hasn't been working here, ever. BUT, we'd have to learn how to blitz first. When we blitz our guys just run straight into blockers. Poorly, POORLY coached on defense. We have a lot more ability in our personnel than our coaches are getting out of them. Do we have top 10 potential? No, but we could be anywhere from 25 to 35. But that would take a philosophy change and a completely different defensive coaching staff.

We look horribly coached on defense. I could put out a defensive product that looks like that. The secondary is LOST. They have no clue how to work together as a unit and there isn't a single one of them who has been taught actual pass coverage skills. Give me a week and YouTube videos and we'd look better. The only reason we looked ok in the first half was because Dook kept shooting itself in the foot or dropping the ball, because our guys were out of position and the plays were there to be made.

Our D line couldn't push through a wet cardboard box. I don't know why every play we seem to attack the lineman in front of us instead of actually attempting to get past them and into the gaps. It's very frustrating.

Offense: big hat off to JT. He played a whale of a game. Can't ask any more of your QB.

The offense is hard to critique. We put up insane yards and scored 35 points. But. We missed a LOT of blocks. A LOT. I don't know what the deuce we teach our offensive linemen but it's clear the only thing they kind of know is how to do is pass block (I suspect it might be the new line coach. The other one has needed replacement for a long while.) Granted, Dook was selling out to stop the run with some gimmick things. But it still seemed like PJ was reluctant to take what was there sometimes. Now, plenty of people will say "but they got 600 yards and we had a W just shut up and be happy" but you have to be honest and realistic - the majority of the offense came from a Herculean effort by 1 special player. Which is awesome. We need that. I'll take it. But we didn't look like a finely tuned and oiled machine. Which doesn't make sense. Why is it so hard to teach our offense to players? Why is it that we are in game 8 and still struggling desperately to do the right things or block the right guys? Opposing defenses have lived in our backfield since the start of 2015.

We have not matured or developed as a team since week 2. And that is on the head coach. I don't think he's forgotten everything he knows, but he, and we, are very much in need of him taking a step back and looking at what he does and why. We need the same thing from Roof. Ultimately I'd prefer a different DC, DB coach, DL coach, and OL coach, just because I don't think the current ones are getting it done.

However, at the bare minimum the ones we have need a massive gut check. Roof needs to grab some of whatever inspired him after Dook and UNCin 2014 and start playing aggressively again. We are getting drug up and down the field by anyone and everyone. Do something, anything different. It can't be worse than what it is now.

Our players need to get excited. You're playing freakin college football. Everyone on the field should be awake and engaged and excited to just BE there, much less get to play. Explode! Make a play! Just, have a pulse!

I hope PJ tears everyone a new one including himself tomorrow. There's no excuse to be so discombobulated after a week off. If we wake up and fight we could win out. Or we could lose the rest of them. It's never as good or as bad as it seems so the result will probably be somewhere in between.

The players lacked inspiration, the student body lacked inspiration (they didn't even bother to show up), apathy was rampant, the feeling was palpable and I found myself expecting defeat. The defense needs to get mean, the offensive line needs to get mad dog mean, the bend don't break mentality is uninspiring and emasculates our defense. Fortune favors the Brave, yesterday JT was brave and won the game for us.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Our defense just seems too small, too weak, too slow and too ill-prepared. And there are a few who either don't know how, or don't want, lay the wood to the ball-carrier

Jmonty71

Banned
The good is that with that win we will probably make a post season appearance now.

And even with the win we gave up enough yards and played so poorly on the defensive side of the ball that CPJ should still be able to see we need to make a change there. Why wait for another L before changing things? We need to get a fresh guy in to play call on D to see if we can gain some momentum going into next year. Giving up the kind of yardage we did saturday is purely unacceptable at every level. How we as fans are ok with such poor performance I don't have a clue. I hope we see some changes before next weekend when we have a real top 15 team lining up in front of us.

Lets all hope the JT can have another game of his life again. He won the Duke game for us let see if he can pull off a miracle against UNCheat
It will be interesting. UNC can't stop the run, we can't stop anything. I think UNC is just too much, scores over 40 and we can't hang. Sadly....

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
who would start for any good defense?

Gray might, depending upon which "any good defense" you mean. PJ might and that is about it. So yes, we have a talent problem but Roof's critics have a point.

We should be masking deficiencies better with smoke and mirrors and blitzing. Having a mediocre D line is one thing but coupled with slow linebackers and an inexperienced secondary that cannot play man coverage for longer than say 3 seconds there may not be a whole lot the coaches can do. Duke had a lot to do with that. Very impressive set of tight ends, an excellent offensive line, and a fine running back.

To have a chance next week, Mills will have to run with abandon and we must limit UNC's possessions by controlling the clock. We cannot win a shootout. The potential is there for an embarrassing blowout if our team is not ready.