Duke Postgame

Duke scored 28 points in the second half. 21 of those were points after turnovers. 2 turnovers that were the fault of the OL and one ST.

Where is all this NFL talent that you people believe Roof is holding back?

We are not a talented football team. If you people would quit watching the ball and start watching the line of scrimmage you'd figure out what's wrong with team.

NOTHING is the fault of the Offense to so many of our fans. Even Turnovers.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I don't see how we are pointing fingers at the D. They played well the whole 1st half and got a TO at midfield to start the 2nd half for a change to go up at least 31-7. We then proceeded to turn the ball over immediately and fumble the following kickoff and out potential 31-7 lead turned into 28-21 with no momentum. The wheels fell off on both ends from there not just the D. The D looked terrible after the 2 turnovers but they were mixing it up and did a good job the first half.

Offensively may have been the ugliest way to get 600 yards I've ever seen. Credit to JT and the receivers but we weren't looking great running our offense.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
You're right - 1 of the fumbles was Special Teams. Still, the 1-play Fumble totally let Duke back into it. It's like the Miami game: The O hands the Canes 14 pts but the D still gets all the blame. Just bizarre.
Again, I think you're not really being fair.

The fumble was at the 50 yard line. It's not as if they turned it over in teh redzone or something. The defense still had to let them march it half the field.

I am wth you, though, the defense can't be blamed for the TD after the ST turnover.

slugboy

Staff member
Glad we won. Good for homecoming. I think we're well set for the next QB, but I'll miss JT next year. Burden too.
Looking forward to seeing Davis back in, and Mills too. Hope that the Keshun freshman terror comes back--a good pass rush and we're much better
Happy Halloween y'all

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Let's be fair here: Huge chunks of those yards were from completely broken, backyard-type QB scrambles on pass plays, not designed run plays. Thankfully, JT is awesome and Puke stinks but let's not pretend our OL just dominated Duke's OL and that those Rushing stats were proof.

Those stats are "DUKE O" -- not ours.

Ours were better :) 18.9 pass / 7.3 rush.
Ya, we definitely didn't win in the trenches. Got stood up on a 4th and 1 again, and the first drive produced 0 yds on option plays. To a degree, their scheme -- what PJ called "gimmick" defenses -- took away some of the base option looks. They rolled safeties down and were firing the "wolf" position into the mesh, forcing us to string it out.

Ideally, we should be flexible enough to check to midline/trap/speed if they are jumping certain mesh points. Panic aside, it's fun to watch the big plays. And that block, release seam route to Clynch was neat.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Y'all can debate what Roof should be doing differently. I just don't see much talent on defense. We have a whole defense of pretty good players, but very few above that level. Not a single lineman is exceptional..

LOL! What? So 11 "very good" players can't prevent a 3rd & long from being converted? We have this talent convo every year only to see guys 2 guys drafted and 80% of the D guys in camps.

We make things so easy for mediocre QB. Why are our Safeties playing 15-20yds deeps as if Brett Favre playing QB? Not only does that leave a 10yd void btw he 2nd 3rd level but it also takes 2 defenders in the run game. That would be great if we had Keuchly or Phillip Wheeler- level LB but we don't. It's amaizing how the defense looks like when we decide to be the hammer and not the nail.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
LOL! What? So 11 "very good" players can't prevent a 3rd & long from being converted? We have this talent convo every year only to see guys 2 guys drafted and 80% of the D guys in camps.

We make things so easy for mediocre QB. Why are our Safeties playing 15-20yds deeps as if Brett Favre playing QB? Not only does that leave a 10yd void btw he 2nd 3rd level but it also takes 2 defenders in the run game. That would be great if we had Keuchly or Phillip Wheeler- level LB but we don't. It's amaizing how the defense looks like when we decide to be the hammer and not the nail.

If you feel comfortable saying, who do you think should be getting the reps at LB and DL?

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer

QFT....Roof had 2 whole weeks to prepare for the mighty Duke O. Ridiculous.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

Exactly. Been saying this for 4 years. Glad folks are catching on. You all know who you are. The scheme gives us a built in disadvantage and people want to point to talent. A smaller reminder. 2014 was a disaster defense. 4 nfl players on that d. Possibly five if gamble gets in.

We arent bama. We arent as bad as our production yearly.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
When you give up 560 yards to Duke your defense is going to get questioned - and should get questioned. We did not get off blocks, our linebackers are as fast to the ball as I am and the safties are lining up in Buckhead to start the play. Roof tried different blitzes and played the CBs close on recievers most of the game. We just could not stop the running game or the TE.

FWIW the offense and special teams have their own issues. CPJ's playcalling and JT's heroics overcame really bad OL play. And someone please tell the special teams that high kicks to the end zone should be downed for start at the 25 instead of run out to the 10 multiple times in one game.

They won - and get full credit for coming back after giving up the lead. But the defensive woes are a lot more than the TOs that the offense and special teams gave up. You cannot give up this amount of yardage to a low average offensive unit and feel good about things going forward. Sigh of relief and congratulations on the win. But a lot of work to do going forward

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Ya. agreed but curious.

Well if Adams is only good 2 plays then let's get him in on 1st down with Gamble

Rotate him after the guaranteed 1st down we give up.
Simmons and Freeman

I would like to see the combo PJ and Lewis, but PJ is not that great getting off of blocks either so I'm not even sure about the LBs