Duke is going to be a handful this year-

Jacket prime

Georgia Tech Fan
Was never suggesting by saying they are going to be 'a handful' that Duke was going to win the Coastal or something. Jeesh.

Honestly, they've probably got about a good a shot as anybody else (other than UVA). It's still too early to tell what anybody in the division really has, but Duke has been a pain in the @$$ for us since Cutcliffe has been there, so I don't see why this year would be any different.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Without looking at their schedule, I think Duke is gonna fit in as a 6-6/7-5 type team this year. Beating up on an average Big 10 team doesn't prove a whole lot. I expect they'll play us tough, and if we're not careful they just could beat us. That being said, if both teams bring their A-game I believe GT should handle them pretty soundly.
LOL, Tech actually has an "A" game?

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, they've probably got about a good a shot as anybody else (other than UVA). It's still too early to tell what anybody in the division really has, but Duke has been a pain in the @$$ for us since Cutcliffe has been there, so I don't see why this year would be any different.
I think Duke will win 7-8 games and finish 4th in the ACC Coastal Division. Right now I think an 8-4 Duke team plays a 6-6 South Carolina team in the Belk Bowl.

Jmonty71

Banned
Duke plays no one until the UNC game... and that in itself may not be one. We see them late in the season. Very well could have serious bowl implications tied to that game.

bowdon rambler

Georgia Tech Fan
I hate Puke as much as the rest of you guys, but I watched some of that game today. I hate to say it, but that QB looks good for them. He had 300+ passing and 100+ rushing. I can tell you this. Northwestern is better than Jax St.
What makes you think NW better than Jack State? That coach has only lost to like 5 teams since he has been at Jack State and they were all power 5. Jack state could beat about half the teams in division 1. Especially non power 5

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
What makes you think NW better than Jack State? That coach has only lost to like 5 teams since he has been at Jack State and they were all power 5. Jack state could beat about half the teams in division 1. Especially non power 5

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Like I said, for some reason it is in the brains of many commenting here that Northwestern is the historical team that was ridiculously awful for decades. Northwestern is a solid team, regardless of the Nevada game which they wound up winning by 11 points anyway. They went to a bowl game last year and beat Pitt. They won 10 games two years ago, and are returning their top offensive weapons. For some reason, people remember the occasional close game the Jax States, Georgia Southerns and App States of the world play against somebody (and the once in a blue moon time they actually do pull off the upset). Then all these ridiculous statements come out like, "Georgia Southern might be the best team in the state." Just no. Go look up the schedules for yourself on ESPN.com. For every 27-20 OT game these teams play someone, they play 3 or 4 games against power 5 teams like Saturday where they get beat 37-10ish or worse. Yes, the running back is a former 5 star from Auburn. WR is a former 3 star from Wisconsin, and OG was a JUCO kid who went to Baylor before all their trouble. The rest of guys, however, are on an FCS team because they got no FBS offers. Think about that, dude. Not only did Auburn and Bama not want them, but UAB, Vandy, Wake, Southern Miss, and probably even South Alabama and Troy passed on them. They would be walk-ons at even weak power 5 schools. The QB for JSU was what you'd expect from an FCS team, two picks and a fumble.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Duke has been a decent to good team every year under Cutcliffe (he's a pretty darn good coach imo). I wouldn't be surprised to see them be anywhere from 6-6 to 10-2. Kind of like us, honestly. Their margin for error is small, but they can be a good team. I'd put us ahead of them over the last 9 years, but they're not a bottom dweller under Cutcliffe.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Duke has been a decent to good team every year under Cutcliffe (he's a pretty darn good coach imo). I wouldn't be surprised to see them be anywhere from 6-6 to 10-2. Kind of like us, honestly. Their margin for error is small, but they can be a good team. I'd put us ahead of them over the last 9 years, but they're not a bottom dweller under Cutcliffe.
In my opinion Cut has been the best Head Football Coach at Duke since Bill Murray who coached them from 1953-1965

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_D._Murray

Deleted member 2897

Northwestern is a 7 win team over the long run. Similar to Duke, they typically only beat teams with losing records (with exceptions). I wouldn't read too much into Duke's win over them yet. Duke has Baylor next week (0-2) and Army later in the season. As is the usual case, they could win 8 games this year without ever beating a team with a winning record.

If Duke loses to UNC, that will tell you all you need to know. They follow that with Miami, @Hooville, Florida State, Pitt, and @Virginia Tech. I expect them to come into our game 6-4 at best. I think they'll lose to Miami, Florida State, Virginia Tech, and either UNC or Virginia (if not both). They finish the season against us and then @Wake, where they could lose again. They could win 8 games without every beating a team with a winning record. But I wouldn't be shocked if they completely crap the bed again and once again only win 4 or 5 games.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Because I don't like Duke and can't see their next game here in n w Fla, I thought I would bump this thread to get some one to watch.
They play Baylor who under the ex temple coach has done terrible. He has spoken about loyalty to the team, has played a lot of freshmen in ol , and at the last minute has gone with a transfer from arixona at qb - coach is trying to run the standard spread offense wiith the short but athletic qb. Not really a good plan.
Guy talked loyalty but benched the local lkegend freshmen qb from last year that came in to help when startsr was injured. He did great in cactus bowl.
DUKE WILL BE PLAYING AGAINST A PURE PASSER (6-4 230, 10000 PLUS PASSING YDS IN HS, PASSED ON OFFER FROM TEXAS, ALL STATE PITCHER. HE HAS A CANON) .
Hopefully the new coach will open up the offense as they have sucked against fcs teams. I hope this kid and the bears hang half a hundred on the dukies. Could be a classic. I really don't like cutclif

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I hate Duke. I've always hated Duke. I will always hate Duke. I will be in danger of damnation when I die because my soul will hate Duke eternally.

Well, with that out of the way, I think the Baylor game will tell us a lot about them. True, Baylor is 0 - 2, but I think they are a better outfit then either NCC or NW. I might take the time to watch this one for awhile.

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
In my opinion Cut has been the best Head Football Coach at Duke since Bill Murray who coached them from 1953-1965

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_D._Murray
Agree - two excellent coaches. Spurrier might also be in the running for his short late 80s stint (just prior to his legendary run at Florida). Unfortunately I was in Durham during his first (fairly unsuccessful) head coaching season when they beat us 48 - 14. I think he felt somewhat spurned by Tech when we hired Curry in 1980, and Steve lost his job as our QB coach. Consequently, he seemed to really enjoy getting even by going 6 - 0 against us while at Duke (1980 - 82 as QB/OC; 1987 - 89 as head coach).

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Agree - two excellent coaches. Spurrier might also be in the running for his short late 80s stint (just prior to his legendary run at Florida). Unfortunately I was in Durham during his first (fairly unsuccessful) head coaching season when they beat us 48 - 14. I think he felt somewhat spurned by Tech when we hired Curry in 1980, and Steve lost his job as our QB coach. Consequently, he seemed to really enjoy getting even by going 6 - 0 against us while at Duke (1980 - 82 as QB/OC; 1987 - 89 as head coach).
The worst mistake GT ever made was not hiring Steve Spurrier to coach the football team in 1980. Steve wanted the GT job badly and wanted to take it out on them when he coached against them from 1987-1989. I think Steve Spurrier probably would have left GT after the 1982 season to coach the Tampa Bay Bandits in the USFL

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
The worst mistake GT ever made was not hiring Steve Spurrier to coach the football team in 1980. Steve wanted the GT job badly and wanted to take it out on them when he coached against them from 1987-1989. I think Steve Spurrier probably would have left GT after the 1982 season to coach the Tampa Bay Bandits in the USFL
Well, he left Duke for the Bandits when Red Wilson was replaced by Steve Sloan as the Duke head coach, but he was only their QB/OC when he left. If he'd been our head coach, might have stayed bit longer, maybe even until Florida came calling... oh, what might have been!!

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Well, he left Duke for the Bandits when Red Wilson was replaced by Steve Sloan as the Duke head coach, but he was only their QB/OC when he left. If he'd been our head coach, might have stayed bit longer, maybe even until Florida came calling... oh, what might have been!!
The 1980s would have been fun with Steve Spurrier coaching the Yellow Jackets:cool:(y)