Duke is going to be a handful this year-

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Northwestern is not the program from back in the 80s that used to go 1-10 and lose 63-0 to Michigan every year. They've had a couple of 10 win seasons in this decade, and beat Pitt in their bowl game last year- that same Pitt team we can't beat for some reason. Jacksonville St. played their eyes out yesterday, we were on 5 days rest after a double OT game, and we still won 37-10. So, please, be real about Jax St. They are FCS.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I think due to his heart problems he did not want the pressure at TN. He made a wise choice, Tn like UGAG think they are alot better than they are. The way Kirby Donnan jumped at the end of the Notre Dame game you would have thought they had just beat Bama.
He's going to be the target of a lot of Dwag abuse when they go 8-4 and wind up playing Iowa or Nebraska in the Music City Bowl.

I think due to his heart problems he did not want the pressure at TN. He made a wise choice, Tn like UGAG think they are alot better than they are. The way Kirby Donnan jumped at the end of the Notre Dame game you would have thought they had just beat Bama.
I agree. What I saw were two pretty much mediocre teams. They both appeared to have stout defenses (although the mutts had a helluva lot of face mask calls against them), but neither team had overly good offenses.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Northwestern is not the program from back in the 80s that used to go 1-10 and lose 63-0 to Michigan every year. They've had a couple of 10 win seasons in this decade, and beat Pitt in their bowl game last year- that same Pitt team we can't beat for some reason. Jacksonville St. played their eyes out yesterday, we were on 5 days rest after a double OT game, and we still won 37-10. So, please, be real about Jax St. They are FCS.
GT won 11 games in 2014 and only 3 in 2015... every year is different so northwestern very well could be a bad team this year.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I agree. What I saw were two pretty much mediocre teams. They both appeared to have stout defenses (although the mutts had a helluva lot of face mask calls against them), but neither team had overly good offenses.
That ND quarterback was not impressive at all. Ugag was able to get pressure on him, but even when he had time, he missed open targets. I was not impressed by either team and am just disappointed that one of them had to win.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I get that, my point is anything can happen from one year to the next.

No you don't. My point was that our 2015 doesn't prove "anything" can happen. National champion CU didn't beat us as badly as Duke beat NU, who should've been comparable.

We should expect Duke to be pretty good imo.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
No you don't. My point was that our 2015 doesn't prove "anything" can happen. National champion CU didn't beat us as badly as Duke beat NU, who should've been comparable.

We should expect Duke to be pretty good imo.
Ok, we just have different opinions. We still lost 9 games no matter how much by, we lost them. Good teams don't do that imo. Also I'm not saying duke won't be good. It's just my opinion they won't be that good, but I even said I'll wait to see them play UNC and Miami after that ill draw a better conclusion after that. Also I was talking about Northwestern not being good in my original post because the poster was talking about what they did the year before.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Ok, we just have different opinions. We still lost 9 games no matter how much by, we lost them. Good teams don't do that imo. Also I'm not saying duke won't be good. It's just my opinion they won't be that good, but I even said I'll wait to see them play UNC and Miami after that ill draw a better conclusion after that. Also I was talking about Northwestern not being good in my original post because the poster was talking about what they did the year before.

I understood you. I disagreed that you had supplied data in support of your opinion.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Without looking at their schedule, I think Duke is gonna fit in as a 6-6/7-5 type team this year. Beating up on an average Big 10 team doesn't prove a whole lot. I expect they'll play us tough, and if we're not careful they just could beat us. That being said, if both teams bring their A-game I believe GT should handle them pretty soundly.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...western-football-2017-preview-schedule-roster

Does not appear from this rundown that this is expected to be a rebuilding year for Northwestern. The QB, RB, and WR transfer from Oregon are all former 4 stars. No, it's not beating Miami, but after having lost to Northwestern by more than a TD the last two years, I'm sure the Duke football fans (who can fit in a small room, I know) are feeling pretty good about the win. And Northwestern is definitely better than FCS Jax St. (give me a break), and in all likely better than UNC and Pitt who lost ALL their significant returning playmakers on offense from last year. The point of the post is I had kind of penciled Duke in as a 'W', like I had with UNC and Pitt, but now it's a tossup in my mind. Was never suggesting by saying they are going to be 'a handful' that Duke was going to win the Coastal or something. Jeesh.