Dorian Walker Transferring

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
It's kind of funny seeing the millennial bashing (either directly or indirectly) in the two transfer threads. Let's just ignore the 78 other scholarship athletes (minus graduates) who are sticking with our program and just label everyone in a generation as entitled. Just throw out the instant gratification card and not acknowledge those who are buried on the depth chart and still working for playing time. Marcus Allen was tossed around to like 3 different positions and never was a starter at any. Now he's getting his degree. He isn't an exception, a lot of our players are like that. Sometimes you think you're going to have a better future elsewhere. Just let people make their decisions.

The boomer mentality is like the WW1 generation of old fogies who couldn't understand why the kids in their day couldn't make full frontal assaults on machine gun nests work, because back in their day the bayonet and a peg leg could do it.

Sowega

Georgia Tech Fan
Transfers are just part of the business of CFB, always have been. Doubt its only these 2. Hopefully coaches plan accordingly and recruit enough guys to keep us at full strength 85. I've said it for years but we should rarely give walk-ons a scholly. Should be taking extra guys each Feb. b/c we are going to have attrition due to a variety of issues like all schools do.

No hard feelings to these kids, its hard to make a 5 year decision when you are 17/18 years old. Like said above, appreciate the GT S/As who have stayed here and graduated!! It's not easy!!

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
It always stinks to have guys leave, but on the bright side it's allowing our signing class to grow on what originally was a small class. Hopefully we land some big time guys on the D line with these extra spots.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
The transfer if you're not getting to play mentality that has become rampant in college and HS for that matter hurts Tech more than most. We depend on signing guys who are a step slow or an inch short and developing them over a period of years. Another reason we need to be able to recruit on an even playing field to be more consistent.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I too am a bit upset about this Millennial stuff. I can remember how I was at 19. If I had thought I could get a better opportunity, I'd go for it. Indeed, I'm like that today, as I suspect most of the people here are.

I think all this "entitlement" and "I got where I am because I worked hard" business is an example of the Halo Effect*; i.e. it attributes success to individual talent or effort. No doubt all those who are successful do have talent and do put in the necessary effort, but - and here's the rub - so does almost everyone else. Those who don't succeed usually work just as hard and often have really good ideas too (remember the Betamax?), but other factors that they usually have absolutely no control over doom their efforts. Examples of this are so universal that I don't really think I need to enumerate them.

So how does this reflect on the transfers? They are trying to improve their playing futures. That might work and it might not, but I don't think it has anything much to do with either their attitudes or their work ethic. It has to do with things they had no control over that affected their playing futures. How could anyone know that Mills would turn out to be more what we are looking for at BB? I thought he was a good prospect, but that's about it; I thought that either C. J. Leggett or MM would get the job. If things don't work out as predicted, you'd be a fool to stick around and watch your future fade out of "loyalty" or something like that. That's why I don't bear these young men any malice at all. This is a country built on personal choices to improve yourself. They took one. Good luck to both.

* This business about the Halo Effect and much else in this post is from Duncan Watt's Everything is Obvious Once You Know the Answer: How Common Sense Fails Us, a book everyone in the country should be required to read. Right. Now.

Last edited:

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Thanks for the recommendation - will check it out.
I too am a bit upset about this Millennial stuff. I can remember how I was at 19. If I had thought I could get a better opportunity, I'd go for it. Indeed, I'm like that today, as I suspect most of the people here are.

I think all this "entitlement" and "I got where I am because I worked hard" business is an example of the Halo Effect*; i.e. it attributes success to individual talent or effort. No doubt all those who are successful do have talent and do put in the necessary effort, but - and here's the rub - so does almost everyone else. Those who don't succeed usually work just as hard and often have really good ideas too (remember the Betamax?), but other factors that they usually have absolutely no control over doom their efforts. Examples of this are so universal that I don't really think I need to enumerate them.

So how does this reflect on the transfers? They are trying to improve their playing futures. That might work and it might not, but I don't think it has anything much to do with either their attitudes or their work ethic. It has to do with things they had no control over that affected their playing futures. How could anyone know that Mills would turn out to be more what we are looking for at BB? I thought he was a good prospect, but that's about it; I thought that either C. J. Leggett or MM would get the job. If things don't work out as predicted, you'd be a fool to stick around and watch your future fade out of "loyalty" or something like that. That's why I don't bear these young men any malice at all. This is a country built on personal choices to improve yourself. They took one. Good luck to both.

* This business about the Halo Effect and much else in this post is from Duncan Watt's Everything is Obvious Once You Know the Answer: How Common Sense Fails Us, a book everyone in the country should be required to read. Right. Now.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Transfers are just part of the business of CFB, always have been. Doubt its only these 2. Hopefully coaches plan accordingly and recruit enough guys to keep us at full strength 85. I've said it for years but we should rarely give walk-ons a scholly. Should be taking extra guys each Feb. b/c we are going to have attrition due to a variety of issues like all schools do.

No hard feelings to these kids, its hard to make a 5 year decision when you are 17/18 years old. Like said above, appreciate the GT S/As who have stayed here and graduated!! It's not easy!!
Funny how it's never the walkons who earn schollies that end up stabbing us in the back..... It's a good thing we never gave that Godhigh kid a scholly... oh... wait...

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

I hope that Walker and Marshall are making their decisions for what is in their best overall interests.

I'll pass on the recommendation. I have as much respect for self help and self enlightenment books as I do for UFO conspiracy books.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I'll be honest, I have a hard time getting mad at a kid who wants to play football games. Playing football games this fun. Practice is not as much fun. If he saw that he wasn't going to get to play football games at Georgia Tech, I can't bring myself to begrudge him looking elsewhere so that he can play football games.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
The transfer if you're not getting to play mentality that has become rampant in college and HS for that matter hurts Tech more than most. We depend on signing guys who are a step slow or an inch short and developing them over a period of years. Another reason we need to be able to recruit on an even playing field to be more consistent.
Michael Summers is a textbook case of both.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
And anyone who would want to move to Buffalo instead of stay in Atlanta can't be all there

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I'll pass on the recommendation. I have as much respect for self help and self enlightenment books as I do for UFO conspiracy books.
Everything is not a self-help book; it's a serious, well researched piece of social science. Watts is a principal researcher at Microsoft Research and a former professor of sociology at Columbia (he was hired at that rank, which ought to tell you all you need to know). He does mostly network research.

I didn't know how to take this, but I wanted to make it clear that, while the book has a great title, it isn't a piece of Barnes & Noble "business" fluff.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
May as well hold on and get ready. We never lose just 2, bruh. ......

There is never just one coach roach. The baseball team keeps losing people - largely for more playing time. Basketball players move all around now.

We pick up transfers.

Hope Dorian does well where ever he goes and glad he gave GT a shot (and a pick).