Doomsday Scenario for the ACC

Squints

Helluva Engineer
All I meant to say was that a 12-0 Baylor would get the nod over a 12-0 ACC team because of last year's drama.

Not a chance. They don't have a conference championship game and their out of conference schedule isn't just bad it's atrocious. I don't think last year's drama will have anything to do with it. At least if the committee does it's job properly.

Honestly, it's really not worth it to stress out over "doomsday scenarios" at this point. At this time last year there was no chance a Big Ten team was getting into the playoffs. How'd that work out?

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
I think an undefeated ACC champ will be hard to leave out. But, that seems a bit far fetched at this point. I am focused on us beating ND right now. Baylor or TCU will have at least one loss, so that means one of them is out. Same with UCLA/USC in the PAC-12. tOSU does not look unbeatable and Wisconsin has a score to settle with them. As for the SEC, nobody has shown they are unbeatable. Yet.
INMO the big 12 is weakest of all the conferences. There is Baylor and TCU then maybe Oklahoma. Why the love for the Big 12?

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Not a chance. They don't have a conference championship game and their out of conference schedule isn't just bad it's atrocious. I don't think last year's drama will have anything to do with it. At least if the committee does it's job properly.

Honestly, it's really not worth it to stress out over "doomsday scenarios" at this point. At this time last year there was no chance a Big Ten team was getting into the playoffs. How'd that work out?
We have a great team and great coaches but a tough schedule and long "row to hoe" and wining ACCCG before we can think about playoff scenario. IMHO ACC, SEC, and Big 10 are the toughest conferences. Those 3 champions and one from B12, Pac10 fill out the playoff slate.

INMO the big 12 is weakest of all the conferences. There is Baylor and TCU then maybe Oklahoma. Why the love for the Big 12?
Last year the Big Ten was the weakest conference top to bottom, and yet, Ohio State, who should not have even been in the playoffs, won it all. I will grant you this set up is better than the BCS, but it is still seriously flawed.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
As legal said its way to early to speculate much. Things will get decided as the season unfolds. But the problem is real. It's a flawed system and will remain so until expanded to an 8 team playoff.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
The playoff committee did a really good job picking the four best teams last year, there's no reason to think they won't again

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
You are watching way too much ESecPN. The ACC has just as good a chance of getting a team in there as any of the other power 5 confences. As usual the SEC is over rated just like the PAC 12 and nobody owes squat to the Big 12. Don't count OSU in yet as well. They still have a lot of road to travel.

Go Jackets!

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
At one loss I find it hard to believe that we wouldn't make it. There's only so many seasons that have ended with 3 major undefeated schools.

Let's assume we end up with one loss and win the ACC (we won't go if we have 2). That means we beat 4 top 10/15 teams, including one from the SEC. Now its possible those teams fall out of contention, but I don't see there being other top teams that can say that. TCU/Baylor plays Ok St, Oklahoma, and Baylor/TCU - that's not even 3 ranked teams and they won't play a conference championship. Even if they went undefeated it would be a debate - if they have one loss we would go over them.

A team like USCw has one of the best OOC schedules in the Pac12, including ND, UCLA, and Oregon - that's probably probably equivalent to our toughest three, which leaves Clemson to cover. Then they got two more ranked opponents in Arizona and Utah. Assuming we play Clemson or FSU twice, and we've got the harder schedule.

Even the Dwags in the mighty SEC don't have a clearly tougher schedule than us. Sure they play Bama. But their next three toughest are us, Mizzou, Auburn. We go them, Notre Dame, Climpson. If they have to play bama twice, I think it's largely a wash (I don't see much difference between Tenn and Fla as opposed to dook and Miami).

At one loss I find it hard to believe that we wouldn't make it. There's only so many seasons that have ended with 3 major undefeated schools.

Let's assume we end up with one loss and win the ACC (we won't go if we have 2). That means we beat 4 top 10/15 teams, including one from the SEC. Now its possible those teams fall out of contention, but I don't see there being other top teams that can say that. TCU/Baylor plays Ok St, Oklahoma, and Baylor/TCU - that's not even 3 ranked teams and they won't play a conference championship. Even if they went undefeated it would be a debate - if they have one loss we would go over them.

A team like USCw has one of the best OOC schedules in the Pac12, including ND, UCLA, and Oregon - that's probably probably equivalent to our toughest three, which leaves Clemson to cover. Then they got two more ranked opponents in Arizona and Utah. Assuming we play Clemson or FSU twice, and we've got the harder schedule.

Even the Dwags in the mighty SEC don't have a clearly tougher schedule than us. Sure they play Bama. But their next three toughest are us, Mizzou, Auburn. We go them, Notre Dame, Climpson. If they have to play bama twice, I think it's largely a wash (I don't see much difference between Tenn and Fla as opposed to dook and Miami).
You don't see the difference, because to any reasonable fan there is NO difference. But in the real world of today's NCAAESPN, there is a helluva difference. for starters ESPN doesn't own an ACC network. I hope you can acknowledge that four or five one loss SEC teams have a chance to get in. There is NO scenario in which a one loss ACC champ gets an invitation. None, nada, zip, zilch, zero.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
You don't see the difference, because to any reasonable fan there is NO difference. But in the real world of today's NCAAESPN, there is a helluva difference. for starters ESPN doesn't own an ACC network. I hope you can acknowledge that four or five one loss SEC teams have a chance to get in. There is NO scenario in which a one loss ACC champ gets an invitation. None, nada, zip, zilch, zero.

see the thing is, you are not on the playoff committee

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Not a chance. They don't have a conference championship game and their out of conference schedule isn't just bad it's atrocious. I don't think last year's drama will have anything to do with it. At least if the committee does it's job properly....
Well, there you go.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
What all SEC teams have at least two losses?
What if there is only one 1 lose team and it's an ACC team?

Just asking...