Doomsday Scenario for the ACC

Unless some ACC team runs the table, it is already looking like our conference might be the odd man out come playoff selection time. Baylor or TCU have a bit of an IOU from last year to claim, the SEC is a lock for at least one slot, Ohio State has almost no opposition, and the Pac 12 is revving up the two Los Angeles teams for a run. The chances of a 12-0 team coming out of the ACC seem slim. And even with an undefeated ACC champ, we might not get an invite.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Unless some ACC team runs the table, it is already looking like our conference might be the odd man out come playoff selection time. Baylor or TCU have a bit of an IOU from last year to claim, the SEC is a lock for at least one slot, Ohio State has almost no opposition, and the Pac 12 is revving up the two Los Angeles teams for a run. The chances of a 12-0 team coming out of the ACC seem slim. And even with an undefeated ACC champ, we might not get an invite.
I don't think the ACC will be in there unless Tech can run the table and then there is a fighting chance. What I don't understand is how Baylor can even be a candidate. This year's team obviously is not last year's team.

I don't think the ACC will be in there unless Tech can run the table and then there is a fighting chance. What I don't understand is how Baylor can even be a candidate. This year's team obviously is not last year's team.
All I meant to say was that a 12-0 Baylor would get the nod over a 12-0 ACC team because of last year's drama.

BuzzbaitGT

Georgia Tech Fan

True story: I've already arranged to take off the week of Jan 11 to roadtrip to Arizona and witness Tech win its next national championship in FB.

I'm also telling everyone in the office that the ACC is sending two teams (Tech and ND), while the SEC is going to be left out. The Yellow Jackets TEAM is going to run the table and ND will make it in with a sole loss to Tech. #TogetherWeSwarm #RememberTheName

Honestly, I don't care whether it's tOSU/Michigan State or USC/UCLA or TCU/Baylor claiming the other two playoff spots. I just know the absence of the SEC will lead to an 8-game playoff format.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think an undefeated ACC champ will be hard to leave out. But, that seems a bit far fetched at this point. I am focused on us beating ND right now. Baylor or TCU will have at least one loss, so that means one of them is out. Same with UCLA/USC in the PAC-12. tOSU does not look unbeatable and Wisconsin has a score to settle with them. As for the SEC, nobody has shown they are unbeatable. Yet.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
All I meant to say was that a 12-0 Baylor would get the nod over a 12-0 ACC team because of last year's drama.

no way, not if that team is fsu, tech or clemson. No way....our schedules are harder; we have a conf champ game and we will jump the big 12 again like osu did due to that fact and the inability of the big 12 to correctly do a conf champion.

If Tech is that 12-0 Team and we beat 4 ranked teams in the top 10 and didn't get the invite then there is a bigger problem then being left out last year.
We could be 13-0, have beaten Notre Dame, Clemson, FSU and Georgia, and then beaten FSU or Clemson again. A decent resume, unless Notre Dame ends up 8-4, Clemson is 8-5, Georgia is 9-3, and FSU finishes 8-4/5.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I don't see TCU or Baylor going undefeated this year, plus they are screwed without a conf champ game

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Not fact. Erroneous opinion. :)
Maybe it is just an opinion, but it's well grounded. FSU did get "talked down" a bit at the end last year, but they were still given the #3 seed over OSU. They will not exclude an undefeated champ from a power 5 conference, especially one that has a championship game. The only way it might happen would be a 1 loss SEC champ over an undefeated Big 12 champ due to lack of 13th game.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We could be 13-0, have beaten Notre Dame, Clemson, FSU and Georgia, and then beaten FSU or Clemson again. A decent resume, unless Notre Dame ends up 8-4, Clemson is 8-5, Georgia is 9-3, and FSU finishes 8-4/5.
Currently these teams are in TOP 10. Baylor plays TCU, crap teams and struggling legacy teams.
That said if we beat these nationally recognized power teams in 2015 (added to end of 2014) we are in for sure. Accomplish this would be a legendary feat - no more injuries, continued no fumbles and no penalties, great coaching on defense, and great plays. Highly unlikely but then 14 had doubters.

Going to be a great ride.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
There won’t be an undefeated Pac-12 team and it’s highly unlikely there will be an undefeated Big12 team. I don’t think the ACC has to worry too much.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If I'm inferring correctly from the thread title, if the ACC doesn't make the college football playoffs it will spell the end of the ACC as a conference?!!

Should make re-joining the SEC easier I guess.