DOOK

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Need this series. If we win it, Duke is in the rearview mirror... permanently (in standings)... & its Ga Tech in driver's seat for Coastal. If Duke wins, they are within striking distance & own tiebreaker over Tech & most likely, UNC in command in Coastal.

On paper, it's Duke pitching v Tech's "hot" offense.
Just win.

Deleted member 2897

Need this series. If we win it, Duke is in the rearview mirror... permanently (in standings)... & its Ga Tech in driver's seat for Coastal. If Duke wins, they are within striking distance & own tiebreaker over Tech & most likely, UNC in command in Coastal.

On paper, it's Duke pitching v Tech's "hot" offense.
Just win.

Unless Duke sweeps us, I think they’re out. They are 2 wins behind multiple teams, such as UNC who swept them.

Duke’s RPI is mid-40s. It feels like it’s right on the edge of where 2-1 should be required of us, but that’s also a tough ask, being on the road.

Let’s just continue with our latest tradition of winning Game 1 please dammit!

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
One thing to note with Duke is that their expected ace and preseason All-American, Graeme Stinson, has been out for several weeks now. As best I can tell, there is no timetable for him to return. So even if we're missing X this weekend, remember they are in a similar situation with their ace injured and affecting their whole pitching rotation.

Unless Duke sweeps us, I think they’re out. They are 2 wins behind multiple teams, such as UNC who swept them.

Duke’s RPI is mid-40s. It feels like it’s right on the edge of where 2-1 should be required of us, but that’s also a tough ask, being on the road.

Let’s just continue with our latest tradition of winning Game 1 please dammit!

Unfortunately, I think game 1 is the least likely game we win. A semi-struggling Willingham vs. their ace.

Edit - Thankfully this may not be the case due to the information in the above post. Let's get Game 1!

GTJon

Jolly Good Fellow
One other complicating factor for the weekend - rain. Weather channel shows 90-100% chance of rain in Durham on Sat and Sun. Wonder if they might move up games and try a DH on Friday.

Female Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
One other complicating factor for the weekend - rain. Weather channel shows 90-100% chance of rain in Durham on Sat and Sun. Wonder if they might move up games and try a DH on Friday.

I think a double header on Friday might be better for us because Duke played last night and lost to Liberty.
They might be tired with only one day off and possibly facing 2 games within 48 hrs.
Or Duke can be pissed off they lost and come back at us with vengeance. Yikes
Pick your poison.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
I think a double header on Friday might be better for us because Duke played last night and lost to Liberty.
They might be tired with only one day off and possibly facing 2 games within 48 hrs.
Or Duke can be pissed off they lost and come back at us with vengeance. Yikes
Pick your poison.

Agree with your first assertion. They had to use 6 arms Wednesday who threw 194 total pitches. Walking from that into a Friday DH against a team that’s been off since Sunday is not ideal.

I’m rooting for the DH.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Agree with your first assertion. They had to use 6 arms Wednesday who threw 194 total pitches. Walking from that into a Friday DH against a team that’s been off since Sunday is not ideal.

I’m rooting for the DH.
Interesting. I wonder if Duke might think it's in their best interests to let the series become a rain shortened affair.....going 1-1 vs us might help them more than trying to squeeze in a DH on Friday...

Deleted member 2897

giphy.gif

Deleted member 2897

I want to play 3. If they don't play 2 today... looks bleak in getting all 3 in this weekend.

I agree with you. In a strange twist, if we go 1-1 and don’t play a third, we could actually lose out on the Coastal Championship because of not being able to use our tiebreaker.

The Doddfather

Jolly Good Fellow
Winning a wild one just like we hoped this weekend. Games 1 and 3 at least. Need CT to deal tomorrow. Better yet, let’s wrap this one up guys!