Do you believe m bob or not about our options

JacketJim

Georgia Tech Fan
Mark Bradley's story really had me scratching my head. Based upon all that has transpired in recent days, I can now only conclude that MBob is a liar, a fool, or both. Whatever 'street cred' he might have had with me was lost today after I read Bradley's piece. Of course, Bradley says he believes MBob regarding the fact that it wasn't a money thing that caused him to retain Gregory. WTF!?!? I wonder if I could interest ol' Mark in buying the 17th Street bridge?

Lastly, do I ever miss Homer Rice! Seems like we haven't had a cometent AD since...

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
MBob when he was hired was surrounded by questions of if he could lead GT because he was a straight basketball guy and we were a football first school. It's just odd to me that he seems to be struggling on the basketball side more than anything.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
It's believable, but it became a bottom line business decision.
You can only go to a well so many times with out draining it dry. (dollars are finite in the real world. GT is not the Federal gov't).

Those familiar with having P&L responsibilities know that you can't always do what you want do to finances AND other variables. Those variables include getting APR back in line even with the loss/dismissal of players for various reasons.

Real world answers don't always depend upon one variable.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Seems like a lot of GT fans deserve someone with no experience, like say curry, leading our AA into bankruptcy.

All we hear is how smart GT men are and 20 to 25 % are millionaires - and we have no money? Bull****.

And people think that MBob is making these decisions on his own without answering to his boss?

We bring in CBG with no home court, with a recent history of players that are accused murderers, a team with piss poor academics. Bunch of crap.

I hope to hell you nancies do stay the hell away from our program. Absolute biggest, candy *** big cry in the history of college athletics.

But there will be some of us to make up your void, not because of a loyalty to CBG, but to our athletes and GEORGIA TECH.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
MBob's background was as an AD at Xavier and before that he had positions at Navy and Notre Dame

This was a money decision -but he could not say that. I will also say that while he deserves alot of blame - he is not alone. There is also a President and Board of Trustees that have to approve any of these contracts.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Seems like a lot of GT fans deserve someone with no experience, like say curry, leading our AA into bankruptcy.

All we hear is how smart GT men are and 20 to 25 % are millionaires - and we have no money? Bull****.

And people think that MBob is making these decisions on his own without answering to his boss?

We bring in CBG with no home court, with a recent history of players that are accused murderers, a team with piss poor academics. Bunch of crap.

I hope to hell you nancies do stay the hell away from our program. Absolute biggest, candy *** big cry in the history of college athletics.

But there will be some of us to make up your void, not because of a loyalty to CBG, but to our athletes and GEORGIA TECH.

You are part of the problem.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
i think that the coach Mbob wants may have told him that he's not available this year. So he decided it is better to wait a year for the right coach then get the next coach on the list.

That might be exactly one of the variables the we just don't know!

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
i think that the coach Mbob wants may have told him that he's not available this year. So he decided it is better to wait a year for the right coach then get the next coach on the list.

I thought about this. I'd actually be totally OK with this if true... The problem is he came off looking weak in this process.

/

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I posted this in the KQ thread. But I think it makes sense here.

My guess is that folks read in too much into MBob's cash search and assumed that it guaranteed the BG was going to be fired.

Reality is that once MBob have the cash lined up, it became time to evaluate based upon all variables (we don't know them all) and make a decision. The fact that he admitted that he was"on both sides of the fence" indicates that he is not sugar coating the situation to the public. Other example comments include statements about offense not being something you do between defensive series, dribbling with purpose, etc.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
MBob when he was hired was surrounded by questions of if he could lead GT because he was a straight basketball guy and we were a football first school. It's just odd to me that he seems to be struggling on the basketball side more than anything.

The way he handled the CPJ contract extension didn't make him look good in that area either, and his words about it are biting him in the rear now. I believe a few posters on this board posted that MBob was pressured by some big donors that he needed get CPJ's contract done or else he might have hemmed and hawed about it for a little while longer.

I'll admit that there are more factors than normal when dealing with CBG that MBob has to navigate, but how he's gone about it makes you question whether being the GT AD has put him squarely into the Peter Principle.