Do you believe m bob or not about our options

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
I know lots of people are upset about what transpired this week, but complaining isn't going to change anything. I think that everyone should support the team next year and wishes for the best. If BG does as poorly as you all are expecting then I think we can be even more certain than we were this year that he will be gone, but give him a chance to surprise us. He's never done anything wrong (except for being a bad coach) and he and the S/A's deserve our support. Not supporting the program will just drive the the program even lower than it is.

We've got a strong cast of seniors next year and I'm going to cheer for them to have a succesful campaign!

--------------------------------------------------------

That said, I certainly understand the frustration towards MBob. I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt, but there's been a lot of questions marks so far. I just hope this anger doesn't transition to BG and the players

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
None of you know the facts; all you know is the rumors and the speculation.

Most of us knew Gregory would be retained because that is what 90% of the AD in the nation would have done.
The coach gets his first recruiting class for 4 years.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
No I don't wish for the best. The worst thing that could happen is he does well enough to fool the shmucks who bought his spiel the first time into thinking he could possibly be the guy. And that won't take much at all. I hope there is a mass exodus of transfers and the bottom falls out next year. I don't want our incompetent administration to have a choice in the matter this time next year.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Most of us knew Gregory would be retained because that is what 90% of the AD in the nation would have done.

You must have been reading different GT boards the past few weeks.

The record shows that he's actually done better with Hewitt's recruits than he has when more of his recruits were cycled in.

I want GT bball to do well because it's my alma mater and I enjoy watching college bball. My hope is CBG's 2014 season is like CPJ's 2013 season. The bottom before the amazing high.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
No I don't wish for the best. The worst thing that could happen is he does well enough to fool the shmucks who bought his spiel the first time into thinking he could possibly be the guy. And that won't take much at all. I hope there is a mass exodus of transfers and the bottom falls out next year. I don't want our incompetent administration to have a choice in the matter this time next year.

I disagree. No one on this team has done anything to lose your support

slugboy

Staff member
If you were in MBob's shoes, in what situations would you have done the same thing?

I don't know why he did it, or if he should have. It's not what I expected, though I thought there was a chance. I have to wonder how much improvement next year is enough; a NCAA year seems impossible, but I can't see Gregory saving his job by making the NIT.

Last edited:

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I'm not entirely thrilled with the situation, but it is what it is. The financial aspects of the decision were taken into consideration and definitely had an impact. What is Bobinsli supposed to say? "We'd love to fire him, but we just can't afford to" ....goodbye team morale for all of next year

The GTAA needs to get its finances in order. It's not good for the program to continue taking on large annual buyout payments. I know it sucks, but we just have to live with it a few more years.

I'm not back on board or anything, but I'm still going to support them every game. You never know, maybe the team surprises you one year...

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
None of you know the facts; all you know is the rumors and the speculation.

That 90% didnt include Bamas AD. 4 post seasons in 6 years. Seeya.

The world moves faster now. We kept hewitt 3 years too long. Noone in this fanbase realized it till it was too late. We should have never hired Cbg, a couple of us realized it immediately, 4 uears later you guys wanna keep him because hes a nice dude and graduates players is utterly laughable. You are jumping over dollars to save quarters.

BTW its not next years record that should be worrisome. Its playwrs for 16-17 that this guy cant sign. this is a program death sentence. Hopefully he blows town and does everyone a favor

Last edited:

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Not disagreeing with peacone36... Alabama didn't have $900,000 millstone around its neck for the next 4 years plus the previous 4, nor do they have the financial "tightness" in athletics that GT has.
Money was one of the variables, not the only variable in the equation.
Don't forget that the "deep pockets" are already tapped to aid with the millstone mentioned above plus other improvements in the facilities.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm going to root for the players and program because I will always do that, now that the decision is made and i've had my 24 hours to vent, for me its done.
Like I said yesterday, if we have to go through 3 years of awfulness than so be it.
I still hope they win every game.

The decision was really very simple, but the AD managed to make it look hard. GT isn't in a position (or at least those that matter don't believe it is), to swallow $1.7M/yr for the next 3 years and go get a new coach who they think will be worth a damn. Until we get to a number/year combination or they change their mind Gregory will be the coach - unless he decides to bolt and I don't think he is a quitter, even if I do think he is overmatched for the ACC

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Not disagreeing with peacone36... Alabama didn't have $900,000 millstone around its neck for the next 4 years plus the previous 4, nor do they have the financial "tightness" in athletics that GT has.
Money was one of the variables, not the only variable in the equation.
Don't forget that the "deep pockets" are already tapped to aid with the millstone mentioned above plus other improvements in the facilities.

My position in that post had more to do with the ridiculous "90%" comment than taking all the influences on the decision into account. (Which i am sure you knew)

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I've kinda flushed it out of my system like most. Now that the "it is what it is" protocol has been evoked, it's done and I'm rooting for the team to go 33-0 baybee!!.

Still though, anyone who thinks cBG is still here because somehow his job performance to date justifies it, is kidding themselves.

bigtechfan67

Jolly Good Fellow
I still support the gt program don't get me wrong, I want the program to succeed but I just don't see us getting any better with a bad coach and game manager. I'm a firm believer in tech, I was born a tech fan, I just don't think he has what it takes to be a complete coach and teach more than rebounding and defense. When I watch them play I see not many plays being ran or "sets" being ran its like not everyone is on the same page on offense. Jmo

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
That 90% didnt include Bamas AD. 4 post seasons in 6 years. Seeya.

The world moves faster now. We kept hewitt 3 years too long. Noone in this fanbase realized it till it was too late. We should have never hired Cbg, a couple of us realized it immediately, 4 uears later you guys wanna keep him because hes a nice dude and graduates players is utterly laughable. You are jumping over dollars to save quarters.

BTW its not next years record that should be worrisome. Its playwrs for 16-17 that this guy cant sign. this is a program death sentence. Hopefully he blows town and does everyone a favor
I think Alabama just got tired of Grant suspending everyone and kicking people off the team.

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
So it's completely out of the realm of possibilities that during their meeting, BG said WTTEO: "We have problems A, B, C... and here's how I plan to address each these problems...." and convinced Bobinski that he had a good plan.

No, I suppose that's utterly unreasonable and shouldn't be considered.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
So it's completely out of the realm of possibilities that during their meeting, BG said WTTEO: "We have problems A, B, C... and here's how I plan to address each these problems...." and convinced Bobinski that he had a good plan.

No, I suppose that's utterly unreasonable and shouldn't be considered.

Oh yeah, that's certainly possible. However, if you're AD, do you trust what you've seen the past 4 years or do you trust what you heard in that 40 minute conversation?

I go back to my favorite Tyson misquote (the wordsmith that he is), "everybody's got a plan 'til they get hit in the mouth".

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
MBob's background was as an AD at Xavier and before that he had positions at Navy and Notre Dame

This was a money decision -but he could not say that. I will also say that while he deserves alot of blame - he is not alone. There is also a President and Board of Trustees that have to approve any of these contracts.

It's hard for me to get on board with the blaming the President and Board of Trustees for this one. IMHO, you make a hire and then let that person do the job they were hired to do. The board and president are a system of checks and balances to make sure nothing egregious is going on. Although I would fire Bobinski for the reset of the buyout (in addition to other poor decisions he's made to date) because of the terrible business acumen it demonstrates, I don't think it falls under the category of egregious where the board or president should meddle. You could make an argument that Hewitt's contract was egregious, but I can't even say for certain that I would have stopped it were I in a position to do so at the time.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
Or you could root for GT to do well enough that Gregory gets hired away.

One can wish...