Depth Chart vs Mercer

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I wonder about the Klock thing too. He was beat more than once. Like really beat on a drive stopping play. Shamire played fine from what I saw.

Now I happen to agree with her on this point. If you notice your team struggling in one area and dominating in another why keep running the plays they're performing poorly? The dive through GCG looked good to me. The pass protection looked good to me. The consistently pitching to yard loss, made no sense to me either. Stop being my system arrogant make the necessary adjustments and basically coach better.

It ain't all on the kids.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I wonder about the Klock thing too. He was beat more than once. Like really beat on a drive stopping play. Shamire played fine from what I saw.

Now I happen to agree with her on this point. If you notice your team struggling in one area and dominating in another why keep running the plays they're performing poorly? The dive through GCG looked good to me. The pass protection looked good to me. The consistently pitching to yard loss, made no sense to me either. Stop being my system arrogant make the necessary adjustments and basically coach better.

It ain't all on the kids.

Man, I think I saw the opposite. GCG struggled up the middle all day. I'm talking consistently getting no push/tackle for loss. Attacking the edge was the move. Unfortunately none of the abacks wanted to block and whoever was supposed to pull or get to the next level from the OL just whiffed over and over.

Agree the pass pro looked good. Really good compared to prior years, as did the passing game as a whole. Although I freely acknowledge CPJ is 'system-arrogant' (a new term is born?), I don't think that's what was happening Saturday morning. I think nothing was really working but for different reasons.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
its cool ,ill be more composed this year and no i don,t care about grammar(i don't know how to use my auto spell check) .i thought this was a forum that you can have an open conversation about gt football. when real questions come about know one want to talk facts. what is SA ? you don't have to spare my feelings no one else gets a pardon including the o-line

You're good. Glad to have you contributing. I can tell you're passionate. I use SA for "student athlete" most times. I hear and agree with some of your concerns regarding coaching. We as fans usually don't know what goes on at practice or in meetings, and being a coach, myself, some things get twisted from coach --> player --> family/friends.

Keep posting!

Deleted member 2897

Shamire Devine played the entire game. 100%. That tells me (a) he has played himself into game shape, and (b) he was performing at least as good as anyone else. If you isolate him watching replays, sure he wasn't perfect, but he did a lot of dang good things.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't have any problem at all designating players "OR" on the depth chart. Every week should be open competition, anyway, so really they should all be "OR." Just because someone played a pretty good game doesn't mean their backup isn't breathing down their neck, with the ability to take the spot anyway.

RLR

Jolly Good Fellow
where are the second string coaches at ? who cpj made at? the line did what they could do with that unseen, unpractice defense. why didn't the coach staff identify this d during the game and make the necessary adjustments ? then the contradictory ,you want them to hit somebody .then let them (#71) do that instead of the dive thing .the pass blocking was better because you passed more ,maybe you practice this more . simple football if the run isn't there do something else. i thought the triple option meant you had options . don't half coach then turn and blame and punish the players. *OR* OR* OR* OR go ahead put the youngings in see what the D do to them .sacrifice your qb,unnecessary injuries and every thing else. how freshman going to b better then a seasoned line? you sound panicked, unprofessional and ready to retire its your fault you admitted but you threaten to punish every one but yourself. i'm done (i'm not)but i'll stop.play ball.* Go Jackets*

I had the same reaction to CPJ's actions this week. Pretentious people who obsesses about grammar drive me crazy. It was clear to me on my first read that your post contained valuable information from a source close to the team. I also don't think you were being overtly negative - probably just more frustrated and advocating from a perspective that's not been expressed on the forum this week. Thanks for sharing.

Based on your comment, my knowledge of our offense's blocking schemes, and watching the way we executed against some of BC's defensive formations, I'm fairly confident that GT wasn't prepared for some of the formations that we saw. Furthermore, there's a correlation between BC's pre-snap weird formations and GT's play call. For example, the 3-3-1 was run primarily against the counter. Maybe that's coincidence. Or maybe BC analyzed CPJ's offense and found tendencies. . . it's not that far fetched. With a pretty limited playbook, many years of calling plays, and an offense designed to read certain defensive players & run towards the number advantage, it shouldn't be that hard to game our offense (in theory).

The 3-3-1 is a way to hack our offense. There's no way for the pulling the guard to know that the stacked MLB / S is going to be his guy unless they practice for it. The guy is coming from a different angle than a LB would so you can't just hit the first thing that crosses your face. The counter is the absolute worst play to run against this defense because the LBs were reading the guards / not flowing to the play fake. Not to mention, #71 wasn't the guy who made the mistake on this play. If anything, Will Bryan should have cut off the playside OLB. Very, very hard block. and depending on how it was called, that guy may have not been will's assigned block. My point is - that's on the coach. That's a blocking scheme error. And that defensive formation should have vulnerabilities elsewhere that we should be able to exploit with a pre-snap adjustment.

I thought Shamire Devine played a hell of a game. Not only was he effective, he played hard throughout the game. His pass-blocking is sooo good and probably the major reason why JT had time to throw the ball. I hate to say this, but Shamire should not have gone to Georgia Tech. He's an elite LT. He could of went to a pro-factory and signed an NFL contract for 10+ million next year. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he is at GT and i still think he has a bright future.

But, I don't agree with CPJ's handling of the offensive line this week. or a-backs. or his coaching staff. I'm just not that type of person. I don't think throwing your guys, your assistants, your players under the bus publically like that is an honorable thing to do. You can disagree with me and have a compelling reason for your stance, no doubt. And I'm sure CPJ doesn't care a lick about what I say. So, this is just my worthless opinion. I don't like the fact that CPJ is making 3+ million a year, 3rd highest in the ACC, and openly complains about the lack of funding for our facilities. Or the lack of money to hire more assistants.

I don't like the fact that Shamire's weight seems to be public knowledge throughout the year. Or that CPJ has such little faith publically in his offensive line. I don't like the way that CPJ suggests that #71 wasn't firing off the ball or hitting people, because he's actually good at those things. If he struggles, it's when he's in space. He's a 5* talent player. If he isn't working for CPJ at guard, then CPJ should move Shamire or modify Shamire's roll. But CPJ is way too inflexible to ever consider changing his offense. And he can't replace Shamire because he's way too stubborn to close on a player like Jordan Johnson, who was very talented but perhaps ideologically opposed to johnson's POV. He doesn't have the persona to land a big name guy like Campbell. He doesn't seem to have a good track record retaining players, especially along the Oline. Remember, there were rumors c griffin was transferring before he got injured. Gary Brown. Phil Smith. Nick Claytor. . . that's just off the top of my head. None of these things would be detrimental by themselves, but are we really to believe that in CPJ's 9 seasons, there's only been one offensive lineman who did what CPJ told him to do? At what point does the o-line isn't blocking narrative come into question?

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I had the same reaction to CPJ's actions this week. Pretentious people who obsesses about grammar drive me crazy. It was clear to me on my first read that your post contained valuable information from a source close to the team. I also don't think you were being overtly negative - probably just more frustrated and advocating from a perspective that's not been expressed on the forum this week. Thanks for sharing.

Based on your comment, my knowledge of our offense's blocking schemes, and watching the way we executed against some of BC's defensive formations, I'm fairly confident that GT wasn't prepared for some of the formations that we saw. Furthermore, there's a correlation between BC's pre-snap weird formations and GT's play call. For example, the 3-3-1 was run primarily against the counter. Maybe that's coincidence. Or maybe BC analyzed CPJ's offense and found tendencies. . . it's not that far fetched. With a pretty limited playbook, many years of calling plays, and an offense designed to read certain defensive players & run towards the number advantage, it shouldn't be that hard to game our offense (in theory).

The 3-3-1 is a way to hack our offense. There's no way for the pulling the guard to know that the stacked MLB / S is going to be his guy unless they practice for it. The guy is coming from a different angle than a LB would so you can't just hit the first thing that crosses your face. The counter is the absolute worst play to run against this defense because the LBs were reading the guards / not flowing to the play fake. Not to mention, #71 wasn't the guy who made the mistake on this play. If anything, Will Bryan should have cut off the playside OLB. Very, very hard block. and depending on how it was called, that guy may have not been will's assigned block. My point is - that's on the coach. That's a blocking scheme error. And that defensive formation should have vulnerabilities elsewhere that we should be able to exploit with a pre-snap adjustment.

I thought Shamire Devine played a hell of a game. Not only was he effective, he played hard throughout the game. His pass-blocking is sooo good and probably the major reason why JT had time to throw the ball. I hate to say this, but Shamire should not have gone to Georgia Tech. He's an elite LT. He could of went to a pro-factory and signed an NFL contract for 10+ million next year. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he is at GT and i still think he has a bright future.

But, I don't agree with CPJ's handling of the offensive line this week. or a-backs. or his coaching staff. I'm just not that type of person. I don't think throwing your guys, your assistants, your players under the bus publically like that is an honorable thing to do. You can disagree with me and have a compelling reason for your stance, no doubt. And I'm sure CPJ doesn't care a lick about what I say. So, this is just my worthless opinion. I don't like the fact that CPJ is making 3+ million a year, 3rd highest in the ACC, and openly complains about the lack of funding for our facilities. Or the lack of money to hire more assistants.

I don't like the fact that Shamire's weight seems to be public knowledge throughout the year. Or that CPJ has such little faith publically in his offensive line. I don't like the way that CPJ suggests that #71 wasn't firing off the ball or hitting people, because he's actually good at those things. If he struggles, it's when he's in space. He's a 5* talent player. If he isn't working for CPJ at guard, then CPJ should move Shamire or modify Shamire's roll. But CPJ is way too inflexible to ever consider changing his offense. And he can't replace Shamire because he's way too stubborn to close on a player like Jordan Johnson, who was very talented but perhaps ideologically opposed to johnson's POV. He doesn't have the persona to land a big name guy like Campbell. He doesn't seem to have a good track record retaining players, especially along the Oline. Remember, there were rumors c griffin was transferring before he got injured. Gary Brown. Phil Smith. Nick Claytor. . . that's just off the top of my head. None of these things would be detrimental by themselves, but are we really to believe that in CPJ's 9 seasons, there's only been one offensive lineman who did what CPJ told him to do? At what point does the o-line isn't blocking narrative come into question?

Obvious agenda is obvious.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I'm starting to think some of you have complained about your child's schooling by using the exact phrase "My kid says they never teach! They're the teacher isn't it their job to teach?!?"

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Jmo:
1) Coaches don't play the game -- they take accountability and responsibility by changing what they can change. If CPJ had made no changes in how he addressed the team, in his own sense of urgency, in his own fire under other coaches and line-ups and just said, "Players need to play better; coaches need to coach better" then that would be different.

2) Our pass protection was much better when they only rushed 4. We didn't handle even 5-man, let alone 6-man pass rushes that great, iirc.

3) There's a reason why typical spread teams run shot-gun pass formations even at the goal-line. That's what they do. Our offense arises from the base package. You can't just say we should run a different offense like it's a video game.

4) Last year, and over the off-season, it was suggested that Shamire was big guy and that we should play to his strengths. Since then, he's lost some weight and become more fit and his having more fun. I think his enjoyment of the game will increase the more he and the rest of our OL better appreciate and match what's expected. No matter how good you are, you can always get better. He has, and I think he will continue to.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
They saw fronts that they had not practiced against. They made some adjustments and without the fumble prob would have won by 2 scores. The or 's who cares... Hell I wish we were deep enough to have 22 or's. The OL lineup is not changing. The OL has some youth and will continue to improve. BC is very talented on D and had 9 mths to get ready for this game. We WON the game. Our guys never quit.

I am a b 2

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't think the coach putting an OR beside your name on the depth chart means anything at all. The line didn't play well last week, but then again I don't think anyone played particularly well last week. Also, I highly doubt that our starting line changes any. I don't think coach liked the way they played and I imagine he wants to light a fire under the starters, but I also don't believe that any real changes will occur. Especially not for SD or FB.
that type of motivation can easily turn into discouragement. if that is your best way to motivate, gee .

yes ,i was thinking this but it came out like that .lol thanks and the weight thing omg but i'm over that. let theses boys play some football.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
They saw fronts that they had not practiced against. They made some adjustments and without the fumble prob would have won by 2 scores. The or 's who cares... Hell I wish we were deep enough to have 22 or's. The OL lineup is not changing. The OL has some youth and will continue to improve. BC is very talented on D and had 9 mths to get ready for this game. We WON the game. Our guys never quit.

I think A LOT of posters forget that last part. We WON the game...against, statistically, one of the best defenses in the country last year that returned a large majority of their starters. It's was the first game of the season. Heck, if that's what our pass pro looks like against one of the best defenses in the country in our first game...um, I'm pretty pumped about seeing it 3+ games on.

GCG wasn't perfect, but I thought Bryan-Burden-Devine did okay all things considered. Not as good as you'd expect from their talent level, but better than a lot of us are making it out. I mean, Bryan was playing OT last season, Burden was playing with one arm, and Devine was in and out of the lineup. They're still feeling their way around each other against live bullets.

Let's hold the freaking out until we're up against Clemson and the guys have had a few games under their belts.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I hope that Freeman is "well" or whatever is the problem because our All Am Fr DE had ONE tackle and didn't look good at all.StAmour needs some more P time. As does David Curry.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
where are the second string coaches at ? who cpj made at? the line did what they could do with that unseen, unpractice defense. why didn't the coach staff identify this d during the game and make the necessary adjustments ? then the contradictory ,you want them to hit somebody .then let them (#71) do that instead of the dive thing .the pass blocking was better because you passed more ,maybe you practice this more . simple football if the run isn't there do something else. i thought the triple option meant you had options . don't half coach then turn and blame and punish the players. *OR* OR* OR* OR go ahead put the youngings in see what the D do to them .sacrifice your qb,unnecessary injuries and every thing else. how freshman going to b better then a seasoned line? you sound panicked, unprofessional and ready to retire its your fault you admitted but you threaten to punish every one but yourself. i'm done (i'm not)but i'll stop.play ball.* Go Jackets*
Cpj definitely put blame on himself if that's what your saying he didn't do. He specifically came out and said he did a bad job and that he's mad, and he needs to get out and do better this week.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
In defense of this perspective, I bet our OL didn't see one 3-3-1 alignment in the lead up to BC.

First game against a new coordinator with no data. BC plays a 4-3 base, so as Flea mentioned later they probably didn't practice against an odd front that BC played.

However ... I don't recall the exact context, but PJ fumed about the guys not being able to count to 3. That's the heart and soul of our offense so despite alignment, they still need to figure out who #1, #2, and #3 are. There are some hard and fast rules to that and that's probably where some of PJ's frustration lies. I *think* he made this comment in reference to the backs.

Deleted member 2897

My one beef is your comment "Shamire should not have gone to Georgia Tech." Who is to say that if he went to a football factory like LSU or Alabama that he wouldn't have just been riding the bench until this year? Football factories have 10+ linemen who are 4* or higher. Plus, Shamire is SMART. TOO SMART to go to a football factory. He's a Computer Engineer. He's smart as a tack. He knows that you can ball out wherever you go. To assume he's locked into a box here and would have stood out with a different coach or system I think is assuming too much (although obviously not an impossible suggestion). Plus, what happens if God forbid someone rolls up on his knee and knocks him out? With his intelligence and his degree, he will go places no matter what he does. I am so proud he is at Tech, completely independent of football...but because of football too.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
....... I'm fairly confident that GT wasn't prepared for some of the formations that we saw. Furthermore, there's a correlation between BC's pre-snap weird formations and GT's play call. For example, the 3-3-1 was run primarily against the counter. Maybe that's coincidence. Or maybe BC analyzed CPJ's offense and found tendencies. . . it's not that far fetched. With a pretty limited playbook, many years of calling plays, and an offense designed to read certain defensive players & run towards the number advantage, it shouldn't be that hard to game our offense (in theory).

The 3-3-1 is a way to hack our offense. There's no way for the pulling the guard to know that the stacked MLB / S is going to be his guy unless they practice for it. The guy is coming from a different angle than a LB would so you can't just hit the first thing that crosses your face. The counter is the absolute worst play to run against this defense because the LBs were reading the guards / not flowing to the play fake. ........

CPJ took responsibility too for not coaching the players up. I heard him say that. Sure he bruised some egos but he is the one who failed to have the team ready. There were things that we obviously didn't expect. @Boomergump talked about formations he hasn't seen against us.

Two big problems I have with us not being ready for something new:
1) A rSr QB should be able to audible out of a bad play call for the formation. If he can't the O is too complex since most of the time we won't have a rSr starting.
2) If the O was confused, we should have used a time out to talk it over. As is I think we took two TOs to the locker room for half. This has been a consistent weakness IMHO to call time outs and "save" them. Especially last year when the opposing O would get on a roll and we could have used them on D to try and break momentum. But no, we saved them to take to half.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I think A LOT of posters forget that last part. We WON the game...against, statistically, one of the best defenses in the country last year that returned a large majority of their starters. It's was the first game of the season. Heck, if that's what our pass pro looks like against one of the best defenses in the country in our first game...um, I'm pretty pumped about seeing it 3+ games on.

GCG wasn't perfect, but I thought Bryan-Burden-Devine did okay all things considered. Not as good as you'd expect from their talent level, but better than a lot of us are making it out. I mean, Bryan was playing OT last season, Burden was playing with one arm, and Devine was in and out of the lineup. They're still feeling their way around each other against live bullets.

Let's hold the freaking out until we're up against Clemson and the guys have had a few games under their belts.

Vanderbilt has a solid defense as well.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Vanderbilt has a solid defense as well.

Overall true. For 2015, they were about 20th overall, but their rush defense was about 42nd. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaadef2015

I think (from nothing more than watching Vandy for about a quarter when they were rolling Week 1) that Vandy would beat BC. Just my opinion. If we don't advance more than Vandy does from Week 1, we will probably lose. But need to drink some beer and enjoy a cheap win over Mercer first.