Depth Chart vs Mercer

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Man, I think I saw the opposite. GCG struggled up the middle all day. I'm talking consistently getting no push/tackle for loss. Attacking the edge was the move. Unfortunately none of the abacks wanted to block and whoever was supposed to pull or get to the next level from the OL just whiffed over and over.

Agree the pass pro looked good. Really good compared to prior years, as did the passing game as a whole. Although I freely acknowledge CPJ is 'system-arrogant' (a new term is born?), I don't think that's what was happening Saturday morning. I think nothing was really working but for different reasons.

See when I rewatched the film I saw all sorts of whiffs on pulling blocks towards the edge that were blowing up the plays. When Shamire had someone in front of him he basically drove them 10 yards straight backwards. We should run right behind him on 4th and short every single time.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is all a very good conversation. I would like to add a few thoughts.

BC threw a lot more stuff at us than I have seen in a single game before. Whether that changes drastically what the assignments are, I have no idea, but I would say it caused some confusion. That was palpable.

To my eye Shamire looked so much better. Did he whiff some? Yes. Did he pile drive some guys? Yes. Did he pass pro well? For the majority of plays, yes. Did he have energy the entire game? Absolutely yes. In fact, he had the look of relaxed confidence late in the game when he used to look in a panic a little because he was so darned tired. I don't know what all his assignments were and I frankly don't care. This was his first game among the leaders.

Second string players are people too. They are working hard, and if the guy on first string is missing assignments, then that guy on second string deserves to be a part of the conversation. First string players are entitled to NOTHING. All this consternation over the depth chart should just stop. Coach may not have called a perfect game. Lord knows I never have. However, that has absolutely nothing to do with whether he should hammer the point home with his kids when they screw up. If they have been executing better during camp and didn't during the game, then dammmmmit, they should hear about it and hear about it with passion. As long as it can be backed up on film, I have absolutely no problem with getting after the players. Maybe instead, our players should just run to one of those "safe spaces" on campus where their feelings can't be hurt. Give me a break. We don't need to be protecting our players from our padded seats at home. The guy across the LOS next week will be trying to take their effing heads off.

We can all have our opinions about whether coach should throw his players under the bus in public. Whatever. In the player's meetings, I darn sure hope they are being taught about their mistakes.

As Flea said, we won the game.

I am glad our coach is driving home the message that we can be better. Seriously, do we really wish he was pumping the kids up in the film room telling them how great they are because they won the game? That is a recipe for disaster if we did indeed play sloppy. On the sideline after the game, praise them for heart and finding a way to win. In the film room, pound them for mistakes and FORCE them to get better. We are not looking for mediocrity this season. If we are going to be better, we have to shoot for it.

I am incredibly sensitive to the entitlement mentality. It drives me crazy. Another 3-9 season is just waiting for us if we are willing to accept it. Coaches don't have to be perfect before they are allowed to criticize the players, point out mistakes, and motivate them to fix them, even by force. For you people in our readership out there who have folks working for you, imagine how you would react if one of your people approached you and said " I am not working better because you aren't motivating me properly".

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
CPJ took responsibility too for not coaching the players up. I heard him say that. Sure he bruised some egos but he is the one who failed to have the team ready. There were things that we obviously didn't expect. @Boomergump talked about formations he hasn't seen against us.

Two big problems I have with us not being ready for something new:
1) A rSr QB should be able to audible out of a bad play call for the formation. If he can't the O is too complex since most of the time we won't have a rSr starting.
2) If the O was confused, we should have used a time out to talk it over. As is I think we took two TOs to the locker room for half. This has been a consistent weakness IMHO to call time outs and "save" them. Especially last year when the opposing O would get on a roll and we could have used them on D to try and break momentum. But no, we saved them to take to half.
point 2 is on JT. Maybe he felt his teammates should have known what to do. You can't practice against everything, but there are rules that apply. You have to be able to diagnose and react to new situations and still be on the same page with your teammates. That's what good offenses do.

That said, if it's a complete cluster****, you call timeout, as you suggest.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
So it sounds like we had a lot of different stuff thrown at us and it exposed numerous problems in our recognition of assignments which the coaching staff thought were already understood. That is valuable knowledge. Also, the game provided revelations of additional weak spots. How fantastic to receive all this understanding of training gaps while still obtaining a win!

From my perspective as a professional trainer, this game gave us invaluable insight into what we need to train on in order to be more prepared for other teams. Our coach now has this knowledge and with the outstanding, committed SA's we have, I think the future is bright. Not perfect but bright.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
See when I rewatched the film I saw all sorts of whiffs on pulling blocks towards the edge that were blowing up the plays. When Shamire had someone in front of him he basically drove them 10 yards straight backwards. We should run right behind him on 4th and short every single time.
I think most of the criticism vs Shamire is when he is pulling.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
So it sounds like we had a lot of different stuff thrown at us and it exposed numerous problems in our recognition of assignments which the coaching staff thought were already understood. That is valuable knowledge. Also, the game provided revelations of additional weak spots. How fantastic to receive all this understanding of training gaps while still obtaining a win!

From my perspective as a professional trainer, this game gave us invaluable insight into what we need to train on in order to be more prepared for other teams. Our coach now has this knowledge and with the outstanding, committed SA's we have, I think the future is bright. Not perfect but bright.
Agree completely. And we have more fire in the belly, to boot!

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
I don't think the coach putting an OR beside your name on the depth chart means anything at all. The line didn't play well last week, but then again I don't think anyone played particularly well last week. Also, I highly doubt that our starting line changes any. I don't think coach liked the way they played and I imagine he wants to light a fire under the starters, but I also don't believe that any real changes will occur. Especially not for SD or FB.
Shamire is probably the last one that needs to have the "OR" by his name. But we need to come off the ball better with lower pads and pop people. Everything else will fall into place.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I think A LOT of posters forget that last part. We WON the game...against, statistically, one of the best defenses in the country last year that returned a large majority of their starters. It's was the first game of the season. Heck, if that's what our pass pro looks like against one of the best defenses in the country in our first game...um, I'm pretty pumped about seeing it 3+ games on.

GCG wasn't perfect, but I thought Bryan-Burden-Devine did okay all things considered. Not as good as you'd expect from their talent level, but better than a lot of us are making it out. I mean, Bryan was playing OT last season, Burden was playing with one arm, and Devine was in and out of the lineup. They're still feeling their way around each other against live bullets.

Let's hold the freaking out until we're up against Clemson and the guys have had a few games under their belts.
And, if what we are saying about BC's defense is true (and I believe it is) one would expect them to have an off game in coming weeks having prepared so hard for Tech for so long. If they have an off game then it will prove again just how much time they have been prepping for one offense. If they do not have an off game it will suggest that they are an even better defense than we imagined.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Here is the way I look at it.

Some people think that Alabama's rise to the top has been straight up and meteoric since the advent of Saban. Lest we forget, there was a brief pause in this rise after the initial success with a championship and there was even talk of Saban being on the hot seat. How did Saban respond? He was cranky, he scolded players and coaches alike and, at times, he just seemed to go into temper tantrums. It was not pretty.

Three points:
(1) I am not holding Saban up as a model for Tech coaches.
(2) We are not Alabama and do not have that level of expectation for the program, rightly or wrongly.
(3) Alabama was in danger of sliding back to average performance levels and the coach had to do something to get everyone's attention to continue the journey toward excellence. Any coach at any program who sees his players or his program settling for sub par performances has to do something or the culture can get changed permanently and not for the better.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
The focus CPJ's anger didn't appear to be effort but understanding (i.e. missed assignments). Think of us as an engineering class to whom the professor gave a hard, wide ranging test. You would expect such a test to expose the students lack of knowledge, especially those with less experience. The great thing about such a test is that it would give the professor insight into where the professor needs to focus as well as to open the eyes of the students to their own knowledge gaps. If the professor had lazy, untalented students, the task would be difficult to impossible and he/she would expect poor performance.

Imho the very fact that CPJ was so upset makes me believe that he is optimistic regarding our talent, but surprised/upset that many weren't farther along in their knowledge of what to do. Now he knows where to focus and thankfully our schedule gives us a couple weeks to train on deficiencies before the most important games begin. Although the team is young, if the coaches can train them to reduce missed assignments etc, I think we can have a good season.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Imho the very fact that CPJ was so upset makes me believe that he is optimistic regarding our talent, but surprised/upset that many weren't farther along in their knowledge of what to do.
That was the profound part of his disappointment to me. He clearly thought the players were so much more capable than what they demonstrated.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Imagine you are Jimbo Fisher coming off that win against the rebel bears. What would you say to your team? I know what I would say, because I was screaming it at my television set anyway. "You guys better get your SH__ together!!!" resonated through my house. I was incensed because it was clear to me that they were the better team, yet they were just killing themselves with penalties over and over. They must have had 150 yards in penalties, mostly in the first half where they dug themselves a hole. If I was him, I would have left nothing in the tank for my locker room speech after the game. They nearly peed away a special season before it even had a chance to start. Don't get me wrong. Ultimately, I could care less about the Noles, but I root hard against the Special Ed Conf every chance I get and will continue to do so until the fawning press calms down. Whether it is penalties or missed assignments, it is all the same - sloppy play. If you are going to reach your goals as a team, that stuff has to stop.

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
Imagine you are Jimbo Fisher coming off that win against the rebel bears. What would you say to your team? I know what I would say, because I was screaming it at my television set anyway. "You guys better get your SH__ together!!!" resonated through my house. I was incensed because it was clear to me that they were the better team, yet they were just killing themselves with penalties over and over. They must have had 150 yards in penalties, mostly in the first half where they dug themselves a hole. If I was him, I would have left nothing in the tank for my locker room speech after the game. They nearly peed away a special season before it even had a chance to start. Don't get me wrong. Ultimately, I could care less about the Noles, but I root hard against the Special Ed Conf every chance I get and will continue to do so until the fawning press calms down. Whether it is penalties or missed assignments, it is all the same - sloppy play. If you are going to reach your goals as a team, that stuff has to stop.
Well we don't have to imagine, they're filming the whole season on Showtime kinda like Hard Knocks on HBO.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
First game against a new coordinator with no data. BC plays a 4-3 base, so as Flea mentioned later they probably didn't practice against an odd front that BC played.

However ... I don't recall the exact context, but PJ fumed about the guys not being able to count to 3. That's the heart and soul of our offense so despite alignment, they still need to figure out who #1, #2, and #3 are. There are some hard and fast rules to that and that's probably where some of PJ's frustration lies. I *think* he made this comment in reference to the backs.

I regards to PJ fuming about the execution and /or not seeing a particular alignment--if I hear that PJ has seen EVERY possible Def and knows the antidote, I'm going to puke.He MIGHT have but unless that knowledge is COACHED into his players it does little good.Obviously it hasn't been or hasn't enough.Scoring 17 pts (and lucky to do that)is not going to win many games these days.