Depth Chart is Here

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A couple more thoughts.

I was just looking at our secondary for a few minutes. Do you realize that EVERY starter on the chart has been in the program for at least 4 years, with 3 of them being 5 years? For each of these guys it will be year three in our current system. I like the way it is shaping up.

Milton and White may be the CB pair with the greatest combined speed in the nation. I can't think of a time in my history as a GT fan that we had two legit burners at CB at the same time. Combined with their experience and confidence from recent success, this speed should allow us to try some things on defense.

Golden, while not the fastest nor most physical S in the nation, might just be the most intelligent and instinctive. This kid studies film and has learned the game. He has great hands and obviously great return skills if he does pick one. Go back through last year in your mind. Every huge play this guy made, and there were a lot of them, were because he beat his guy to a spot that he knew the ball was going. Go through the inventory: pick against UVA in the EZ (check), game sealing pick in the EZ against UM (check), pick 6 against Clemmons that flipped the script (check), ball jarring tackle causing fumble on the option play against MSU that prevented any change in momentum. There are more, but you get my point. We need to apreciate what this guy does.

Demond has been around and he gets to go back to a position he is better suited for IMHO. He is a solid experienced guy.

Lynn Griffin is a very aggressive minded kid with a tenacious personality on the field. He doesn't quite have the speed of White or Milton, but his general attitude and lust for contact may suit him well at Nickel, where his proximity to the box and limited exposure to deep routes play to his strengths. During the scrimmages I have seen first hand, he was often hanging all over guys when the ball arrived. If he didn't break up the play, he made it a real tough catch.

Part of the reason this group has been as unheralded as they are is because of the blatant lack of a pass rush. There is a strong chance that will improve this season. If you project my analysis of this starter group (if correct) into the context of passers throwing a little before they are ready, or from a spot not of their choosing, good things should happen more often for GT.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I feel bad for Summers. He has been on the field for us for a long time, but never got to be the featured receiver. He might not yet, but I know he won't be if he doesn't play. I hope he is able to quickly shake what is bothering him.

I am amazed at how many of last year's class are on the varsity. We all knew it was a special class, but still, they have only been practicing a few weeks.

In my view, this is the strongest team on paper since 1990. There are some in the potential category, but many more are proven. When outsiders don't understand why we think we will be in the national picture, they just don't follow us that closely.

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
Personally, one of my favorite things on the depth chart is seeing how the first unit on the OL are all around 300 lbs (plus Devine)... the 2nd unit are all in the 285 range except for Bryan, and we know he'll add weight over time. It's exciting to see us finally have the beef up front.

I also love how much talent there is on D this year. I really believe our D has the chance to be the best D of the CPJ era. I am absolutely drinking the kool-aid on how much impact JHD is going to have. The front 4 (JHD, AG, KF and PG or RRC) are going to be the best we've had in a long time. The secondary is deep and talented.

I know the margins are huge with our schedule. We could go 8-4 (or worse), and we could go 12-0. The thing I'm excited about is that our team is relevant, and I know we have a chance to win every game we play. It's going to be a fun season! One game at a time.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
@MrsDrJacket was up before 7a.m. today reading a print out of the newly released Depth Chart. She's serious about her preseason opportunity to get ready. Looks like our house is catching up and rounding into form just in time.

She'll keep that thing sandwiched in between some books on the table between our chairs. At least until she tears one out of the game program book at the Alcorn State game. Then, generally that will be her season roster because of the 3 major formats they normally print those in.

Every game, she takes the program and rips out the Roster/Depth Chart page and folds it vertically. That thing will get worn out every Saturday.
I suggest you immediately dive into film study before you start asking her what is happening.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am absolutely drinking the kool-aid on how much impact JHD is going to have. The front 4 (JHD, AG, KF and PG or RRC) are going to be the best we've had in a long time.

count me in as a koolaid guy as well. Summers are kool-aid weather! I really like the depth that CPJ and staff are bringing in. Unlike many, many GT squads there isn't a sharp a drop off between the 1's and 2's. Pepper Rogers used to really bring in a lot of NFL talent but the gap between the first and second team was glaring, as was the case with most of our coaches in the "modern era" (possibly Ross as an exclusion). Heck, even our #2 at QB is a guy who can win games imo, just not a warm body. excuse me, going to refill my cup right now.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
A couple more thoughts.

I was just looking at our secondary for a few minutes. Do you realize that EVERY starter on the chart has been in the program for at least 4 years, with 3 of them being 5 years? For each of these guys it will be year three in our current system. I like the way it is shaping up.

Milton and White may be the CB pair with the greatest combined speed in the nation. I can't think of a time in my history as a GT fan that we had two legit burners at CB at the same time. Combined with their experience and confidence from recent success, this speed should allow us to try some things on defense.

Golden, while not the fastest nor most physical S in the nation, might just be the most intelligent and instinctive. This kid studies film and has learned the game. He has great hands and obviously great return skills if he does pick one. Go back through last year in your mind. Every huge play this guy made, and there were a lot of them, were because he beat his guy to a spot that he knew the ball was going. Go through the inventory: pick against UVA in the EZ (check), game sealing pick in the EZ against UM (check), pick 6 against Clemmons that flipped the script (check), ball jarring tackle causing fumble on the option play against MSU that prevented any change in momentum. There are more, but you get my point. We need to apreciate what this guy does.

Demond has been around and he gets to go back to a position he is better suited for IMHO. He is a solid experienced guy.

Lynn Griffin is a very aggressive minded kid with a tenacious personality on the field. He doesn't quite have the speed of White or Milton, but his general attitude and lust for contact may suit him well at Nickel, where his proximity to the box and limited exposure to deep routes play to his strengths. During the scrimmages I have seen first hand, he was often hanging all over guys when the ball arrived. If he didn't break up the play, he made it a real tough catch.

Part of the reason this group has been as unheralded as they are is because of the blatant lack of a pass rush. There is a strong chance that will improve this season. If you project my analysis of this starter group (if correct) into the context of passers throwing a little before they are ready, or from a spot not of their choosing, good things should happen more often for GT.

The other good thing about that back 5 secondary is the depth. Both Austins can play all 5 positions, L Griffin can play N or either CB, C Griffin has experience at both safties, Durham has experience at CB. All these backups have played well in games. In addition Kagawa and Marvin have comparable ability and have been in the system long enough to hold their own. And Gray has potential in time to be the best of all. We lost (fortunately short term dings) 3 DBs in the OB in the second half and never missed them because of this depth. Roof built this depth with a good plan. Hope we can get the DTs and LBs in a similar situation, and I see progress. We may be there with depth with the DEs.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
I am surprised to see TaQuon Marshall over Clinton Lynch. I heard great things about Lynch last Spring. Honestly, I'm surprised to see so many true freshman in general. It makes me really excited for the future.
this may be the biggest surprise to me, I thought TM would be a while adjusting

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
A couple more thoughts.

I like our whole secondary, but I'm very high on Golden. The Clemson pick 6 I originally thought it had more to do with a bad read by the new QB in a tough situation, but watching it again from the spider cam view changed that. Golden recognized the play at the snap and broke on the pass from a blind angle (to the QB)...I'm not sure Watson being in the game would have changed it much. The OL had no chance to slow him down he was coming in so hot. Just a hell of a play and a testament to awesome film study leading up to the game.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Looking at the chart,it is obvious as was commented that this amazing FR class has the chance to be better than 07,certainly in depth. Curry,AJ , prob 2 DLs ,Alexander, MM, and of course Stewart will probably start in 16 as true Sophs.(and maybe more). The upgrade is startling.SWEET!

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
I know most people don't pay attention to the long snapper... Tobin is a senior and has done a fantastic job... Stroebel is a junior but has never used a redshirt... they have Casey Wilson (a redshirt freshman preferred walk on) listed as the backup there, but Stroebel is still listed on the roster. Is TS redshirting this year to give him 2 more years?

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Looking at the chart,it is obvious as was commented that this amazing FR class has the chance to be better than 07,certainly in depth. Curry,AJ , prob 2 DLs ,Alexander, MM, and of course Stewart will probably start in 16 as true Sophs.(and maybe more). The upgrade is startling.SWEET!
I agree!!!!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I know most people don't pay attention to the long snapper... Tobin is a senior and has done a fantastic job... Stroebel is a junior but has never used a redshirt... they have Casey Wilson (a redshirt freshman preferred walk on) listed as the backup there, but Stroebel is still listed on the roster. Is TS redshirting this year to give him 2 more years?

Maybe. But I knew a LS on the team and the rotation is usually decided by time to get the ball to the punter / holder and most of all accuracy. It is one of the best positions to get in the NFL since there is longevity at that position.

No idea on RS for another year, but I doubt it. It may become a defacto RS if Tobin can play all year. If Wilson and Stroebel are essentially the same, it makes sense to RS Stroebel.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Great insight from all of you.
I'm so happy for Chase.
It's always great to see an "underdog" do well enough you earn a Scholarship.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
Kinda hoped Lewis and Merriwether would've made the list. Will Bryan already in the two deep! Love all the Freshman on the chart! How was our class not ranked any higher?

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Personally, one of my favorite things on the depth chart is seeing how the first unit on the OL are all around 300 lbs (plus Devine)... the 2nd unit are all in the 285 range except for Bryan, and we know he'll add weight over time. It's exciting to see us finally have the beef up front. .

It appears Alcorn's starting OL averages around 323lbs, so they will have plenty of beef as well but quickness, technique and power should make the difference. Hope to see our DL beat them all night long.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
TaQuan is a big surprise, his tape and size wasn't as eye popping as our other freshman. Corey Alford is really outta left field, first time I've heard his name other than earning a scholarship. I'm really glad to see Gamble at end and JHD at DT.
Maybe he's one of the better blockers?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
My thoughts.

QB - no surprise.
BB- surprised Skov is the starter to be honest. No experience in our offense, minimal rushing experience in college, and will only be here one year. Get the feeling he won the job through ball security, letting OL and QB play be the driving force behind picking up the yards. Anyways should be fine, but I hope we decide early whether to RS Marshall or not. Him being tied for 2nd has me thinking the coaches are trying to make up their mind on that.
AB - I think this could be the year that we finally see a true stud AB emerge. I could see us using WRs to run in plays and allow Snoddy and Willis to be in on most plays. We've had some good performances, but never gotten more than 744 yards, from Godhigh, from a single ABack. Possible AB leading rusher?
OL - Looks filthy. Lots of experience.
WR - lots of inexperience. Wouldn't surprise me to see this be a strength in the coming years, but I fear that it will be our weak link on offense this year. Need to avoid situations where we are forced to throw imo.

DL - Freeman, Gotsis, and Days look to be a very strong front, and I think either Gamble or Chungong will be a a good complimentary piece. I imagine Kallon will be playing both the DT and NT spots, so I look for him to have a breakthrough year as well.
LBs - Like Davis. I think this group is solid, but probably the weakest of the defensive units.
DBs-