Deion Sanders On The Flats?

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Prospective coaches realize there are two top ten opponents on our schedule and some may want a little easier schedule to build on. Some may like the challenge.

Agreed, but I'm not sure Clemson is going to stay a Top 10 team unless they can find another 5* QB with NFL potential along with the OLinemen, RBs and WRs. The D is incredibly solid, but the O is lacking right now to compete for National Championships. The ACC is fairly wide open right now. We should be in the mix, but aren't. Hopefully a good coach can get us there.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I for one WHOLEHEARTEDLY welcome this conundrum and I do not envy whoever has to make that call.
I feel like 7-5 means the guy you hired to turn it around is indeed turning it around. It took a year longer than we would’ve liked, but the plan is working and you have to stick with the plan.
On the flip side, we won’t get another shot at Deion. He’ll go somewhere and build something and we’ll be left watching “what could’ve been.”
Let me throw a third wrinkle in here... if Collins posts 7-5 this year with this schedule, he may start to look pretty attractive to some P5 teams needing a “rebuild” of their own. For as much crap as he has taken (rightfully so in many cases), I think a lot of people would look at what he did as pretty impressive. He would probably have to do it one more year to prove it wasn’t an aberration before people step up for him, but who knows...
I'm sorry but based on what we've seen so far from this team ,7-5 is WAY beyond their capability. We haven't come close to beating the line and that is not good.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I'm sorry but based on what we've seen so far from this team ,7-5 is WAY beyond their capability. We haven't come close to beating the line and that is not good.

Like someone else said, 7-5 means 6-3 the rest of the way presuming an L to UGa. That's going to be tough to do.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Agreed, but I'm not sure Clemson is going to stay a Top 10 team unless they can find another 5* QB with NFL potential along with the OLinemen, RBs and WRs. The D is incredibly solid, but the O is lacking right now to compete for National Championships. The ACC is fairly wide open right now. We should be in the mix, but aren't. Hopefully a good coach can get us there.
Cade may be just that. They are pretty high on him.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Cade may be just that. They are pretty high on him.

True. Will be interesting to see what happens with him. Will still need time to pass and some real good quality RBs and WRs to help him out though. I think they'll always be Top 15 or so, but it may be tough to maintain what they've had the last 8 years or so. That's real Alabama type stuff.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
Deion will be FSU bound if Norvell doesn't right the ship. I consider the Jackson State job a little minor league practice until his call up.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
You are probably quite right. Which is why in the hypothetical, I think you’d have to admit it’s a great achievement and stay the course. I agree... this scenario probably isn’t going to play out anywhere other than right here

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
25 year old checking in, so a little older than the kids. But Deion, his son and their crazy #1 recruit are all over social media. But even without that, if you know football you know the name. I wouldn’t say it’s like knowing tiger woods if you golf, but more like John Daly
Props for getting John Daly into any athletic sentence with Neon. I don't have any idea how Deion would work out as a GT coach, but the press coverage would change.
happy birthday lol GIF

JacketFan137

Banned
Props for getting John Daly into any athletic sentence with Neon. I don't have any idea how Deion would work out as a GT coach, but the press coverage would change.
happy birthday lol GIF
my goal at every tech game is to drink as many beers as i can before they shut the lines down at the start of the 4th. just thinking about playing 18 after that is miserable.

john daly truly the pinnacle of human physical achievement

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Who cares about "beating the line"? I just want us to beat the team lined up against us. Whether it be by 1 or 15 or 28 or whatever. We are 1-1 (right where most predicted) going against a shaky team. I dont know why some are treating ol pi$$ like they are uga or bama.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Travis just went down in the Louisville game. Norvell’s career there might be over. I don’t understand how a guy like that can’t recruit a QB to FSU. We definitely need to look at Willie Taggart if we move on from our coach this off-season

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This is tough for me to say, and I’m sure for some of y’all to hear…but I’d venture to say that Cincinnati is a better gig than Tech at the moment. If he leaves Cincinnati, it’ll be for another top 15/top SEC/BIG program.
Regardless of Cincy vs GT, Fickell has made it very clear he’s a Midwest/B1G guy. It’s OSU or ND or staying put. Maybe a Michigan team or PSU but I’d be surprised if it’s outside of that.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Regardless of Cincy vs GT, Fickell has made it very clear he’s a Midwest/B1G guy. It’s OSU or ND or staying put. Maybe a Michigan team or PSU but I’d be surprised if it’s outside of that.

I think Fickell was used just as an example of the type of coach who it would be worth it to make a move for even after making a bowl that would likely be open to making a move. Dabo and Saban aren't leaving. Fickell might. Probably not to us, but I think he's a good example of the type of coach we'd have to have lined up to really warrant making a move if we go 7-5 (which means we won't be making a move in that situation).

slugboy

Staff member
I have no idea if Deion Sanders has what it takes to be a GT head coach, and I think the mettle needed to be a GT head coach is greater than what’s needed to just be a P5 head coach.

I do tip my hat to Deion Sanders for donating half of his salary to repair the Jackson State stadium. He does seem to care about the school and the players.