Deion Sanders On The Flats?

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Here’s a question for y’all…hypothetical of course because who knows if any of this is true/would ever happen.

We’ve already heard whispers on here and Twitter from people who have a “source” that the buyout money is there and that Deion is in the loop and ready.

If Geoff goes 7-5 or better this season…and Deion is ready to make a move…do you make the move?
Of course. And to paraphrase the Old Ball Coach. If you want my resume, go look in all the trophy cases where I played. Not that a great player makes a great coach, but his name recognition is worth five years versus an up and coming coach.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
Agreed to the extent that I like an O'Leary or Johnson type. But will that sell these days? I do think we need to do something different because we aren't going to out recruit, UGa, Alabama, Clemson, UNC, FSU or even UVA or Louisville most of the time. What would bring excitement back? Wins. What else? Something exciting. I think Deion could do it.

Now, if we could get Luke Fickel or someone like that, I'm all for it, but would he come here and how much would he cost. That's the question. Why would someone like him come here rather than Auburn or Ohio State or somewhere like that where they have real money.
This is tough for me to say, and I’m sure for some of y’all to hear…but I’d venture to say that Cincinnati is a better gig than Tech at the moment. If he leaves Cincinnati, it’ll be for another top 15/top SEC/BIG program.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I don't think PrimeTime is what we need at GT. Just one fan's opinion but we need a coach who gives us a strategic advantage on game day.
I believe the OC or DC are capable of providing strategic advantage.

I would want Deion if we also ensure we have good OC/DC's. Having a recruiting focused head coach while the assistants are lacking leads you to the current state of GT football in my opinion. I think having Deion as a Dabo type head man while bringing in great OC/DC would be the way to go. I don't see how we possibly find the money to do it though.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
This is tough for me to say, and I’m sure for some of y’all to hear…but I’d venture to say that Cincinnati is a better gig than Tech at the moment. If he leaves Cincinnati, it’ll be for another top 15/top SEC/BIG program.

Agreed. With the new playoff format, it MAY be easier to get in at Cincy than most places. Although, as a strong No. 2 in the ACC, you'll likely have a shot most years to get in.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Would be interesting to go back and see if Collins had the same game management issues at Temple that he's had here. As I recall, a lot of Temple folks were glad to get rid of him, but that was coming right off of really great seasons with Rhule.
I've wondered that myself.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I've wondered that myself.

Found this in an article around the time he being talked about going to GT.

Collins has been and will continue to be an “imperfect” fit for Temple. Many of his key assistants are FCS level and below and that inexperience hurt the Owls on the field early this season. Several from the south (two from Georgia). He recruits largely in the south and has virtually no relationship with Southeastern and South Jersey high school coaches. His offensive coordinator is probably the worst fit for Temple in the history of assistant coaches. Playing a tight game against Villanova one year and losing to them the next is a Cardinal sin that should never be forgiven by any Temple fan, administrator or student. That loss rests right at the feet of his OC.

Couldn't find much on fan reactions though.

And found this. Apparently he wore the oversized vest and undershirt at Temple as well.

1663358375306.png

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Forget Deion Sanders, he’s just a flashier version of Geoff- all hat and no cattle. Hopefully FSU will make the disastrous mistake of hiring him in the near future 🤞

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Forget Deion Sanders, he’s just a flashier version of Geoff- all hat and no cattle. Hopefully FSU will make the disastrous mistake of hiring him in the near future 🤞

That's not how it would work with Deion. Deion at FSU would end up pulling number 1 classes. he has plenty of rich friends he played with that can bankroll top athletes without having a connection to the school he's at.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
That's not how it would work with Deion. Deion at FSU would end up pulling number 1 classes. he has plenty of rich friends he played with that can bankroll top athletes without having a connection to the school he's at.
you can’t definitively say that, there is an excellent chance he would implode in a high profile, high pressure situation like fsu, even with great recruiting and coaches below him. he's nothing but an act, there’s no coaching substance to him. He may prove me wrong eventually but i’ll believe it when it happens.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
i know it feels for US like stansbury hitched his wagon to collins, but is that reality? i’m not tapped in to what’s going on behind the scenes with the guys with the money and power to make decisions but is there any actual indication stansbury will be canned along with collins?
I agree, I am not sure he was tapped in to Collins. It was the logical decision not to fire him last year.

Last edited:

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer

Have you read what he's done at Jackson State? Now it's not Alabama or USC, but I give him credit for even being there for three years and the improvements he's made have been impressive. I think there is more there to him than I ever expected when he took the job. Geoff proved in the first three years that he isn't great at picking a staff, is likely too loyal and doesn't communicate well with the alumni. We'll see how it goes from here.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
It’s really just beyond pathetic and embarrassing that yall are even talking about Deion and other high profile names/coaches coming here. It’s like the biggest nerd in school telling everyone that he thinks the homecoming queen might be going to prom with him. Face reality, We are hot flaming trash and have no money.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Found this in an article around the time he being talked about going to GT.

Collins has been and will continue to be an “imperfect” fit for Temple. Many of his key assistants are FCS level and below and that inexperience hurt the Owls on the field early this season. Several from the south (two from Georgia). He recruits largely in the south and has virtually no relationship with Southeastern and South Jersey high school coaches. His offensive coordinator is probably the worst fit for Temple in the history of assistant coaches. Playing a tight game against Villanova one year and losing to them the next is a Cardinal sin that should never be forgiven by any Temple fan, administrator or student. That loss rests right at the feet of his OC.

Couldn't find much on fan reactions though.

And found this. Apparently he wore the oversized vest and undershirt at Temple as well.

View attachment 13057

From the same article, emphasis mine:

"He might get the Georgia job, he might not. (Chargers’ offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt is rumored to be the leading candidate.) There will be other “dream jobs” for Collins down the line.

Unfortunately, one of them won’t be Temple, which has always been a place holder."

Temple fans in general didn't want to lose CGC to GT. A few of their more vocal fans did, but interestingly, the timing of most of their vitriol coincides with CGCs announcement of his departure. A lot of it reeked even then of 'Go on! Leave! We didn't really want you anyways...' They recognized he had FCS assistants, but weren't providing funds for better assistants. (That's a flaw we have here as well). They criticized him for recruiting from the southeast vs south Jersey and Pennsylvania. (Guess they don't know where the nations best talent is...)

I will say they were dead on with the OC comments, and we learned that to our detriment.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
It’s really just beyond pathetic and embarrassing that yall are even talking about Deion and other high profile names/coaches coming here. It’s like the biggest nerd in school telling everyone that he thinks the homecoming queen might be going to prom with him. Face reality, We are hot flaming trash and have no money.
Insider information there?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Have you read what he's done at Jackson State? Now it's not Alabama or USC, but I give him credit for even being there for three years and the improvements he's made have been impressive. I think there is more there to him than I ever expected when he took the job. Geoff proved in the first three years that he isn't great at picking a staff, is likely too loyal and doesn't communicate well with the alumni. We'll see how it goes from here.
I agree he’s done well there but it’s not not the big leagues. I just think it’s way too risky to try the same concept again that we are trying with CGC.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

I firmly believe he'll be at FSU his goal is FSU then the NFL. Deion to atlanta would be less to GT and more to the falcons. We are going to replace geoff with an up and coming coach from the G5 or FCS then lose them once they turn us around. If we aren't stupid we should be targeting Charles Huff if he manages to win Marshall a sunbelt title this year.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I'd say he has a lesser resume as a coach than Collins. But he has a Hall of Fame career as a player and a ton of contacts and perhaps more personality and better media skills than anyone in sports ever. Collins has put in the work in the trenches. Deion played the game and is now just getting into coaching. To be honest, I figured he'd stay one year at Jackson State and then move on to something else. The fact that this is Year 3 (I think) for him at JSU shows me he is at least committed to it and the articles I've read about what all he has done there and for other HBCU schools is pretty impressive as far as getting turf fields installed, better equipment, etc.

Like someone else said, we have to do something different. If Collins had brought in better staff, perhaps he and his marketing skills would've been that something different. Win 3 games a year and, like Crash Davis said, you're a slob. ;)
Isn't his son the QB on his team? Good reason to stay.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. With the new playoff format, it MAY be easier to get in at Cincy than most places. Although, as a strong No. 2 in the ACC, you'll likely have a shot most years to get in.
Prospective coaches realize there are two top ten opponents on our schedule and some may want a little easier schedule to build on. Some may like the challenge.