Defensive Change is on the way

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I B, will we still just rush straight into the line man directly in front of dl and have the dB 10 yds back of line of scrimage and then back up
i.e. if we change formations back to Groh and play soft that's like a bad ground dog day but on a 4 year cycle???

Maybe we can rush adams on gap to a blow plays. but I am worried about lb being in position and having size to handle interior line men ?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Bottom line is that you have to take advantage of your personnel. Starting with Adams over center in the 3-4 is a good thing.

Matt E

GT Athlete
I love this move. Freeman and the other DEs are light in the seat. This gives us a chance to mix up our blitzs more as well in my opinion. If we are going that direction, I'd love to see Shamire moved over to nose. I would think could be taught to be a beast there, particularly if the nose is playing 2 gaps

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
My thought is if we still trot out the same pathetic deep secondary look and poor second level to third level relationship the fronts wont matter.

The scheme change we need is less about the fronts and more about the backend imo. We also need more tactics to foil OL blocking schemes vs vanilla gap blitzes
I agree we need to work on the "loose" coverage but imo the D line is just as important because of stopping the run. I also agree we need to work on blitz packages. We need to be more exotic in coverages and blitz with the guys we have, imo that will maximize their ability on the field, and help cover up SOME not all of the weaknesses. Don't get me started on the LB's though, idk what happened this year compared to the past few years at that position.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
Color my reaction "meh". Our biggest problems are not scheme related per se. They are defensive philosophy related. He can run 3-4, 4-3, 4-2-5, 3-3-5, whatever. But that won't change the basics where guys aren't being aggressive and pro-active. They are the nails right now and not the hammer.

If you want to make the argument that maybe if they understood the scheme better they'd play faster and more aggressive, fine. I can agree with that. BUT, adding a sub package when we don't understand the base package makes no sense.

Until Roof makes a defensive-philosophy change from passive bend-don't-break-hope-they-mess-up to aggressive/attack, there will be no significant improvement in our defense. Even if adding a sub package gets more of our best athletes on the field.

Not to mention that my faith is non-existent in our defensive coaching staff. Watching ibeeballins defensive breakdowns shows me easily correctable things like alignment issues, bad angles, and just general defense 101 problems, even in the second half of the season. That's just inexcusable.

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
I do think increasing variance in pre-snap deployment never hurts, btu what you do after the snap is way more important...

GT03&05

Georgia Tech Fan
Adams should make a good NT has the size, do you think he can play the whole game ?

This is the key question. In the offseason, if Adams can improve his conditioning to be able to play 65%+ of snaps, then this defensive scheme works. However, a lot depends on Adams getting to a point where he can play consistently.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
We have been mixing up our coverages in the secondary. Keep saying it ain't so doesn't make it less so. But whatever. Ain't worth a pissin match.
I'm not sure if this was to me, but if so read my comment, I said more EXOTIC. I'm well aware we have mixed up coverages some but still not much, and they are still pretty simple for the most part. If that wasn't to me my apologies.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
We have been mixing up our coverages in the secondary. Keep saying it ain't so doesn't make it less so. But whatever. Ain't worth a pissin match.

You are missing the point. Its the depth of the cvg sets and the relationship between the secondary and second level. Its one thing to mix up free, cover 3, quarters. That is not what i am talking about. I am talking about the relationship between the levels of defense. Its very loose and too deep providing for big holes between the lb drops ans secondary. Its why we are poor on 3rd down imo.

But of course this is a second level observation when you look at the tape. Its not just simply calling a coverage. Its how you relate between the levels of a d. Mixing up a coverage doesnt improve this. The whole concept on db and s depth and relationship to the lb under covg needs to be changed. This is one of our biggest issues.

We also make very little attempt to disguise. We are very simple. You combine the two and you get our 3rd down results every year, and wide open slot TE. Pass rush is part of it too. But we can immediately improve the secondary scheme by simple adjustments

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Color my reaction "meh". Our biggest problems are not scheme related per se. They are defensive philosophy related. He can run 3-4, 4-3, 4-2-5, 3-3-5, whatever. But that won't change the basics where guys aren't being aggressive and pro-active. They are the nails right now and not the hammer.

If you want to make the argument that maybe if they understood the scheme better they'd play faster and more aggressive, fine. I can agree with that. BUT, adding a sub package when we don't understand the base package makes no sense.

Until Roof makes a defensive-philosophy change from passive bend-don't-break-hope-they-mess-up to aggressive/attack, there will be no significant improvement in our defense. Even if adding a sub package gets more of our best athletes on the field.

Not to mention that my faith is non-existent in our defensive coaching staff. Watching ibeeballins defensive breakdowns shows me easily correctable things like alignment issues, bad angles, and just general defense 101 problems, even in the second half of the season. That's just inexcusable.

Exactly

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The one down side I can think of is that 3-4 defenses are generally more complicated. It seems we are always having a balancing act between simplification so we can play fast and scheming to confuse offenses.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
Any change would be an improvement. If you look at the end of the season we had to change things in order to stay alive when CTR knew he was coaching for his job. I hope we play all of next season that way.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
We might get some of what I can the "new putter effect." Golfers will recognize that often when you get a new putter, you putt better for a while just because you expect to putt better. We might play a little better for a while on just the newness of it.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
What I noticed this weekend was how many of the good defenses were attacking on every play. We simply don't do that, presumably because our DC is convinced we all get torched for long plays and q