Defensive Change is on the way

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I saw on the TOS the CTR is looking to be multiple in our defensive fronts as we saw the at the end of the season with the 3-3-5 look and add more 3-4 packages then I was like wow this may work.

Check this front 7 out:
DE: Glanton/Branch
NT: Adams
DE: KCH
Rush LB: Simmons/Anree
SLB: Keshun/Lewis
MLB: Brant/Tre
WLB: Vic/BJS

Not bad imo. We get our best players on the field and appear to be a very athletic, rangy group. What are your thoughts?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Just ... fix the linebackers. Whatever you do I just dont want us playing 8-on-11 because our lb's are non-factors.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I saw on the TOS the CTR is looking to be multiple in our defensive fronts as we saw the at the end of the season with the 3-3-5 look and add more 3-4 packages then I was like wow this may work.

Check this front 7 out:

Not bad imo. We get our best players on the field and appear to be a very athletic, rangy group. What are your thoughts?
I would rather a 3-4 if we could get athletic enough LB's with size and speed, but I'm not opposed to trying new things at all.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I would rather a 3-4 if we could get athletic enough LB's with size and speed, but I'm not opposed to trying new things at all.

Size is not the issue especially at DE who translate to OLB like Anree, Simmon, Woods and maybe even a Bridges. Athleticism is a different question.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Size is not the issue especially at DE who translate to OLB like Anree, Simmon, Woods and maybe even a Bridges. Athleticism is a different question.
When I say size I'm not talking about our current roster who will be playing LB but of guys we will recruit to fit this new system, we won't be able to recruit just any OLB from highschool. I also wonder if the guys we have to play that role will be good in coverage minus bridges, because they were really recruited as DE's not really guys who can play in space.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
When I say size I'm not talking about our current roster who will be playing LB but of guys we will recruit to fit this new system, we won't be able to recruit just any OLB from highschool. I also wonder if the guys we have to play that role will be good in coverage minus bridges, because they were really recruited as DE's not really guys who can play in space.

From my understanding, this is a sub package instead of base defense like Groh

stech81

Helluva Engineer

Check this front 7 out:

Adams should make a good NT has the size, do you think he can play the whole game ?

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

Check this front 7 out:

As in all things regarding defense, I trust Ibeeballin's judgement. I would maintain that our primary problem is personnel and a lack of speed at linebacker. I agree that we must change things up on defense but seriously doubt this will be the holy grail we all want.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

Check this front 7 out:

My thought is if we still trot out the same pathetic deep secondary look and poor second level to third level relationship the fronts wont matter.

The scheme change we need is less about the fronts and more about the backend imo. We also need more tactics to foil OL blocking schemes vs vanilla gap blitzes

Last edited: