Defensive Change is on the way

GT Chillin' It

Jolly Good Fellow
I respect DQ as a coach and lord knows I love the falcons but they still had the #25 defense throughout the regular season this year. They didn't exactly shut people down. The reason they did so well was because they had the top scoring offense. I view this falcons season much like 2014 for us. High powered offense with a defense that lived on takeaways.

I do like the scheme that DQ utilizes but until he builds a defensive roster like he had at Seattle they will not be a great defensive team. Something like that could work at Tech and maybe that's what Roof is building towards but I just don't think we have the horses right now to execute it.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I respect DQ as a coach and lord knows I love the falcons but they still had the #25 defense throughout the regular season this year. They didn't exactly shut people down. The reason they did so well was because they had the top scoring offense. I view this falcons season much like 2014 for us. High powered offense with a defense that lived on takeaways.

I do like the scheme that DQ utilizes but until he builds a defensive roster like he had at Seattle they will not be a great defensive team. Something like that could work at Tech and maybe that's what Roof is building towards but I just don't think we have the horses right now to execute it.

That's one of the point I was trying to make ;)

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I like the players in this class particularly the DB's are big, long, & physical. It speaks to the philosophy change. Players that can play multiple positions and be hybrids that won't have to leave the field against the uptempo spreads.

Hopefully these guys are taller versions of the Austins: football-wise between the ears, hustle, tacklers, durable, and maybe better in coverage.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Bigger and faster is always preferred. I think our advances in gains toward that has too many folks here assuming it follows a change in defensive philosophy.

Scheme / philosophy change may come but IMO will be spurred by changes in talent and body types of guys we land rather than the change in guys we land changing due to a revolution in D philosophy. To simplify I think some see the cart pulling the horses rather than the horses pulling the cart. I see horses pulling the cart.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

You might want to look at just the last half of the season.

Philhutch80

Jolly Good Fellow
The reason I started and titled the thread is that imo it is more of a philosophical change than merely scheme changes. CTR has historically employed a bend don't break has D wherever he's been and his recruiting trends have confirmed this. What I see in recruiting, especially the last 2 classes, is multiple players that can play inside or outside. Players that can play in multiple scheme. Again, to me, this reflects a fundamental change in our DC. I asked originally if anyone knew if TR has had any interaction with DQ as what I'm seeing reflects very much what DQ did in Seattle and is doing in Atlanta. We truly won't know until fall and beyond but I hope that TR decided to become much more aggressive with the D!

I am ok with this for two reasons, 1) running a similar D to what our in city pro team runs shows influence ( in a good way mind you) from the pros to the college ranks and it could lead to a pipeline of players from GT going to the Falcons (if the D is sound and produces results) and 2) This D scheme has been proven all the way up to the big boys which usually means it can trickle back down successfully into the college ranks as the game is evolving that ways anyhow. Either way, as long as the the results show on the field and in game nobody in these forums will complain.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Clemson throws it 70 times a game and has slaughtered us the past 2 years. UNC as well. I'm a little bit concerned about matching up with them.

UGA under Mark Richt was kind of a pro spread team, they'd go run heavy on early downs but were not afraid to pass out of the shotgun on 3rd and long. Kirby Smart seems to be going the Alabama route with monster O-lineman that just blow you off the ball and a suffocating defense. It remains to be seen whether or not he can pull that off. Alabama accomplishes this by having probably the best defensive coach in college football along with signing 30+ of the best athletes available every year.

In any case, we would not win by playing UGA's game. Saban *wants* you to try and match up with Alabama. Look at all the close games with LSU and how Alabama has destroyed any pro-style team in the past 4 years (I'm looking at you, Michigan State). They have more athletes and will wear you down. The teams with success against Alabama does something that nullifies, or at least slows down, the advantage of those athletes.

Of course, I'll also take 4 stout D lineman and 2 stout LBs as well :)
Well said, teams in the SECw have altered to compete against bama. LSU is kinda what they've always been fast and talented on defense but their offense plays right into what bama wants. The teams that gives bama and Saban fits are the spread teams: A&M and Ole Miss

Let's face it, we can't recruit to have a suffocating defense like bama. There's probably only about 10 teams who could but none have replicated it and even if they do the offenses are adjusting to those type defenses. I like going after these hybrid guys. We are already undersized at most positions on D and a step slow as well. Might as well be fast and undersized.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Potato, potata, patatoe
Scheme,alignment,philosophy - These words are often used interchangeably even though their reference in discussing D can be apples and oranges in reference.
Well … here's a definition (the rest are pretty much the same):

"The study of the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence, especially when considered as an academic discipline."

Doesn't seem to fit with something as mundane as whether we use a 3 or 4 man defensive front, does it? This is sort of like "verbing" nouns ("Good defensive play is key") and similar barbarisms. If we use English in a lazy manner we lose the capability to distinguish what we are talking about. And our entire communication about sports reverts to the kind of drivel heard on morning drive talk shows, say I.

But whatever floats your boat. Next year we'll see what kinds of defensive schemes we use and if they have changed for the better.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Well … here's a definition (the rest are pretty much the same):

"The study of the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence, especially when considered as an academic discipline."

Doesn't seem to fit with something as mundane as whether we use a 3 or 4 man defensive front, does it? This is sort of like "verbing" nouns ("Good defensive play is key") and similar barbarisms. If we use English in a lazy manner we lose the capability to distinguish what we are talking about. And our entire communication about sports reverts to the kind of drivel heard on morning drive talk shows, say I.

But whatever floats your boat. Next year we'll see what kinds of defensive schemes we use and if they have changed for the better.

Philosophy of strategy and tactics with regards to American football. Guess we could use that verbiage instead of scheme...or would that get your panties in a wad also? I'm sure if you wish to designate what language is appropriate in this context we can all agree to get on board with ya (y)

Designating an alignment as a comprehensive description of a "scheme" falls a bit short IMO.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I also failed to mention Ron West coached defense and created the bandit linebacker/DE.

Maybe there is some influence on Roof.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I saw on the TOS the CTR is looking to be multiple in our defensive fronts as we saw the at the end of the season with the 3-3-5 look and add more 3-4 packages then I was like wow this may work.

Check this front 7 out:
DE: Glanton/Branch
NT: Adams
DE: KCH
Rush LB: Simmons/Anree
SLB: Keshun/Lewis
MLB: Brant/Tre
WLB: Vic/BJS

Not bad imo. We get our best players on the field and appear to be a very athletic, rangy group. What are your thoughts?

Not a fan to be honest. Imo our biggest issue is backend scheme not what front we use.

If ted wants to be more multiple he can do it out of a 4-3. But he actually has to come up with a scheme. We do the same 4 things up front everydown. Its lame.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Ron West ran a 3-3-5 defensive scheme as coordinator and got some pretty good results out of it especially at Clemson.

The "Bandit" rush hybrid DE/Linebacker is something he created and got good results from at Clemson which is similar to the "LEO" in Quinn's/Carroll's 4-3 UNDER defense.

Looks like Roof is also including a "Rover" or "Spur" the safety/olb into his scheme now too.

"Patterson says it’s important for teams to not weaken themselves by rotating one-dimensional players as opposed to having versatile players prepared and suited to defend in multiple scenarios."

All of these are described in this article. Teams have to be multiple now to keep of with the spreads.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.hous...n-roles-in-arizona-state-s-modernized-defense