Defensive biGTime "A New Hope"

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't see the dreaded "played two great snaps in a row to force 3rd and long only to give a 15 yard cushion or not cover the TE and give up the first down" stat, either.
Yup....was watching the 2014 GT-VT game the other day and was cursing the defense for just what you describe. If the VT quarterback had not gifted us three interceptions, we would surely have lost that game. I was watching the game, cuz I knew we had won, but had forgotten the angst from watching it. Really looking forward to seeing the new defense in action.

Last edited:

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I am just excited to have a DC, when you turn the tape on, you can see clearly his philosophy, what he is trying to do with the front 7, how he uses simple rolls of covg on the back 4 to confuse....he has a philosophy. A system. And it matches what we need here.

BTW, for those that say in spring his system was simple and easy. It is and it isn't. The early concepts to grasp how you defend 1, 2, and 3 is so EASY. But back then he had not begun to do the secondary work...that will come...he will install half fields and it will change...and be way more complex for the offense. Not for the D necessarily to learn, because there are building blocks...but it will not be a simple D for the opposition.

What I like about what woody does, is he can teach in blocks, and it requires no checking presnap...or minimal checking. You just go.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I am just excited to have a DC, when you turn the tape on, you can see clearly his philosophy, what he is trying to do with the front 7, how he uses simple rolls of covg on the back 4 to confuse....he has a philosophy. A system. And it matches what we need here.

BTW, for those that say in spring his system was simple and easy. It is and it isn't. The early concepts to grasp how you defend 1, 2, and 3 is so EASY. But back then he had not begun to do the secondary work...that will come...he will install half fields and it will change...and be way more complex for the offense. Not for the D necessarily to learn, because there are building blocks...but it will not be a simple D for the opposition.

What I like about what woody does, is he can teach in blocks, and it requires no checking presnap...or minimal checking. You just go.

This is what makes me exuberant (not irrationally, I hope) about the defense this year. Normally the fact that there is a new defensive coordinator requires time for the defense to learn the new scheme, so the first year is a time of adjustment. But we're going from complicated to simplified in this case, so I think the adjustment pains will be less than usual and the dividends will be paid early and often. Can't wait for toe to meet leather this year.