2016 20
2015 19
2014 74

Defensive S&P
2017 24
2016 27
2015 40
2014 89

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/a...cle_42421f1a-eb4f-11e7-9f0f-cb177719d6bb.html

The App State defense forced three-and-outs 55 times in 149 regular season situations this season, allowing only two more successful conversions against Toledo. Since 2015, the Mountaineers rank second in the nation in interceptions, snagging 56 picks in that time span.

Woody installed the Mountaineers’ 3-4 defensive scheme when he arrived in 2013, boosting the program’s defensive pedigree with every season. The Mountaineers allowed 329.7 yards per game last year and 314.5 yards in 2015. That season, App State's defense was the 11th best in the country.

https://www.myajc.com/sports/colleg...defensive-coordinator/SgoeWhNRSvKDliFRH6qLTO/

Under Woody’s direction, Appalachian State did it with smaller and lesser recruited players. In this year’s season opener against Georgia, the Mountaineers fielded a lineup in which the three starting defensive linemen were an average of 6-foot-1 and 264 pounds. Of the starting 11, nine were two-star prospects (247 Sports composite) and the other two didn’t have a rating.

Yet, only Notre Dame and Auburn (in the first meeting) held the Bulldogs to fewer yards than Appalachian State (368). The Bulldogs scored more points in seven games (including Georgia Tech) than they did against the Mountaineers.

When Appalachian State played Clemson (on its way to the national championship game) in 2015, the Tigers gained 392 yards and averaged 5.23 yards per play. Among the teams that couldn’t meet those standards against Clemson that season – Louisville, Georgia Tech, Boston College, Miami, Florida State, North Carolina, Oklahoma and Alabama.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I am very hopeful that the attitude and mindset change translates to a return to some swagger and pride in the D. Like when the Black Watch was our reputation. Good players can develop ability to be playmakers and great players want to be in a defense that will force turnovers and stop offensive momentum. I think ( hope ) Woody will bring that.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I expect better than 60th rank FEI or better for 2018... no data, just a minimum justifiable installing a new defense position. As you know, we have no returning starting DB.

But, I want more forced turnovers and better field position.

If he breaks top 50...

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't really understand his scheme, especially the secondary. But it looks like he uses the slants and twists to open up blitzing lanes, and he does some clever disguised zone blitzes dropping into the flats.

He gets gashed sometimes by crack blocks and play action over the middle but I really like what I saw in the three games I watched.

His guys played really hard, tackled well and made plays on the ball. 44 had a rough night against UGA. I worry a little about BM in this system, though apparently it suited him well in the spring. Against UGA last year,App put 44, their MLB in spots where he had to move down hill quickly since the slant determines the hole. The angles are good inside out shots on the lead blocker, but there is no one behind him.

I see why cpj likes it..

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I don't really understand his scheme, especially the secondary. But it looks like he uses the slants and twists to open up blitzing lanes, and he does some clever disguised zone blitzes dropping into the flats.

He gets gashed sometimes by crack blocks and play action over the middle but I really like what I saw in the three games I watched.

His guys played really hard, tackled well and made plays on the ball. 44 had a rough night against UGA. I worry a little about BM in this system, though apparently it suited him well in the spring. Against UGA last year,App put 44, their MLB in spots where he had to move down hill quickly since the slant determines the hole. The angles are good inside out shots on the lead blocker, but there is no one behind him.

I see why cpj likes it..
I think this fits BM as good as most if not any system. He’s not a sideline to sideline type of guy, he’s more of a down hill LB and that’s what we need in this system from his position.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I expect better than 60th rank FEI or better for 2018... no data, just a minimum justifiable installing a new defense position. As you know, we have no returning starting DB.

But, I want more forced turnovers and better field position.

If he breaks top 50...
I hope we get better but I still worry about the older players taking to a new coach. Some times that can be a problem

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We need to give Woody a couple of years to do his thing. The level of competition is higher now in the ACC whereas App only had a couple of big time teams to play. They were probably overlooked by the big boys even though App was a sound team. I only hope his system works with better athletes than he had at App. At least PJ is trying to improve the D.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
While I feel there will most definitely be an adjustment period, I am willing to give Woody a pass for 2014's low ranking. That was App State's first season in the FBS! They had an entire roster of FCS talent trying to learn a new system and compete against established FBS teams. I am hoping our guys have the talent and football IQ to be able to adjust more quickly to Woody's system than the 2014 App State roster.

Something else to keep in mind is this is Woody's second time installing his system somewhere. The first time was after a long time stint at Wofford, so I am sure he's learned enough from the App State experience to know how to speed it up. CPJ seemed to install the flexbone rather quickly in 2008, though that was helped by having the right talent in place. We may see the same this season on defense.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
There were many players that said how simple this d was during spring. I’m not going to say there will be no growing pains, but I think we might get through them fairly quickly.