Defensive biGTime "A New Hope"

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Disagree with this majorly....... A scheme can make or brake how a team preforms.
Great. Then we will just disagree. No big deal. Guarantee you can have the best scheme in the world and if the attitude and effort in playing in that scheme is lacking, you are in deep s..t.
I did think Roof made some scheme mistakes , but the missing ingredient to me was an agressive, pressuring mindset.

Last edited:

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
The numbers look great overall, but he installed the defense in 2013, and in 2014 it was #74. 2015 and on were great.
It gives us a reason not to expect an overnight turnaround.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
He’s also coming into GT with better athletes imo. You need to look at how much better the D was after taking over from the prior year of when he wasn’t there as well.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Great. Then we will just disagree. No big deal. Guarantee you can have the best scheme in the world and if the attitude and effort in playing in that scheme is lacking, you are in deep s..t.
I did think Roof made some scheme mistakes , but the missing ingredient to me was an agressive, pressuring mindset.
I agree 100 percent that if hey have bad attitudes you are in trouble. But I also think that if you don’t have superior talent, your guys can have great attitudes and give it all they have, but with bad scheme that doesn’t play to their strengths you will be in major trouble. I take it as needing both equally to have a really good D. BTW my first post wasn’t meant to seem like I was coming off as you are wrong and I’m right, if it did I apologize.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I agree 100 percent that if hey have bad attitudes you are in trouble. But I also think that if you don’t have superior talent, your guys can have great attitudes and give it all they have, but with bad scheme that doesn’t play to their strengths you will be in major trouble. I take it as needing both equally to have a really good D. BTW my first post wasn’t meant to seem like I was coming off as you are wrong and I’m right, if it did I apologize.
No apology needed , I didn't take it that way. I just think having the right scheme is subject to human error, and the best coordinators are going to miss sometimes. Effort and attitude should be a constant.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
He’s also coming into GT with better athletes imo. You need to look at how much better the D was after taking over from the prior year of when he wasn’t there as well.
Please don't take this the wrong way but you would need to see how their athletes compared to their opponents, and how ours athletes compares to our opponents. Imo

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Please don't take this the wrong way but you would need to see how their athletes compared to their opponents, and how ours athletes compares to our opponents. Imo
I agree with that. But I think the other two things I mentioned still matter, especially when you look at how he did better against common opponents.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
While I feel there will most definitely be an adjustment period, I am willing to give Woody a pass for 2014's low ranking. That was App State's first season in the FBS! They had an entire roster of FCS talent trying to learn a new system and compete against established FBS teams. I am hoping our guys have the talent and football IQ to be able to adjust more quickly to Woody's system than the 2014 App State roster..

Context certainly helps! What's even more impressive? In 2015, CNW's defensive FEI was in the TOP 20! A year removed from FCS.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Look at the article... they perform better than most teams against UGA and Clemson with 2 star players (including GT).

I think Woody was a great hire, and I have every expectation he will do well here, but we need to be careful in judging them by their defensive results against big time schools in which they were blown out. In the uga game, Brice Ramsey played a good bit of the second half at QB. He was mainly used as a punter the previous two years at uga and uga wasn't actively trying to do anything but run the clock at that point.

Against Clemson they were down 38-0 5 minutes into the 3rd qtr and all the backups came in at that point. Had either uga or Clemson kept their starters in, those games could have been MUCH uglier.

Again, I think Woody was a great hire, but using those two games as evidence seems flawed to me.

slugboy

Staff member
I think Woody was a great hire, and I have every expectation he will do well here, but we need to be careful in judging them by their defensive results against big time schools in which they were blown out. In the uga game, Brice Ramsey played a good bit of the second half at QB. He was mainly used as a punter the previous two years at uga and uga wasn't actively trying to do anything but run the clock at that point.

Against Clemson they were down 38-0 5 minutes into the 3rd qtr and all the backups came in at that point. Had either uga or Clemson kept their starters in, those games could have been MUCH uglier.

Again, I think Woody was a great hire, but using those two games as evidence seems flawed to me.

FEI, F+, and S&P should all have the garbage time/clear the benches parts factored out already, but that's good advice for analyzing and comparing the individual games.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
We have the feeling that the @GeorgiaTechFB CBTN Strength Profile might look a bit different in coming years with @CoachNateWoody running the #YellowJacket defense.
DkHGsMCXcAMghFk.jpg

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
I'm just excited to see more blitzing honestly. We were giving up a bunch of big plays sitting back in deep zones anyways so why not try to just apply some pressure and risk man coverage.