Defensive biGTime "A New Hope"

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
upload_2018-8-8_23-21-52.gif

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Something easy to overlook: starting field position differential. Woody's D could help our offense a lot even if our scoring defense stays the same.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Rock Star Defense.

My suspicion: Woody's D is like a 3-4 version of TCU's D.

We will win games because of D. I've been hoping for a D that doesn't lose us games. I think we will have a D that wins us games.
And that could have some buzz on espn.
Imo, it's all about recruiting. While our offense is a not a positive for recruiting, this defense will be a 4 star magnet. WITH BETTER TALENT this defense and our offense will dominate the middle tier acc teams and we have a regular chance of actually Beating uga.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
And that could have some buzz on espn.
Imo, it's all about recruiting. While our offense is a not a positive for recruiting, this defense will be a 4 star magnet. WITH BETTER TALENT this defense and our offense will dominate the middle tier acc teams and we have a regular chance of actually Beating uga.

It would be nice to have a talent upgrade, but I'll hold my breath on that one. One thing is that this defense puts a premium on athleticism over size and finds a place for a lot of guys that would be tweeners elsewhere. Most guys with 4 star talent can find a spot at a factory even if their size and skillset is not prototypical. But it might help us recruit, and hopefully otherwise it will help us get the most out of the players we land.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I suspect that Johnson's option offense will be appreciated in direct relationship to the defense: the better the new DC is, the more effective the offense will be, and I would not be surprised if the play calls did not change as a result. Stripped of the burden of having to put up 45 points, of having to crush 'em on TOP, of having to score on every possession, of having to start every drive inside our 30, I think we could see a whole new, shoot-out style on the field. Lots of things open up when the defense has your back.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
As always, I am of the opinion that the only defensive stats that REALLY matter are Points Per Possession and Field Position Differential.

Do you prevent scores? Do you set your offense up in a position to score? You have done your job. How you do it doesn't matter to me.
Agreed. I like ypp (yards per play) as well since it can take out the factor that some offenses/special teams leave their defenses in bad positions as well.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Just for comparisons sake:
View attachment 3910

Note: All percentages were estimated/guessed from previous graphs.

Kudos for putting this together! It's a little wonky because our O last year was apparently much less explosive than typical and couldn't pick up chunk yardage when needed. A lot of that seems to be passing woes. Regressing to the mean would look really nice.

As always, I am of the opinion that the only defensive stats that REALLY matter are Points Per Possession and Field Position Differential.

Do you prevent scores? Do you set your offense up in a position to score? You have done your job. How you do it doesn't matter to me.

Those look like great stats to choose. It incorporates turnovers (field position and points) and adjusts for pace of play. Only caveat is FP differential is also influenced by the offense and special teams.

I'm pumped to see the results on the field of this new defensive approach. If we can nab more turnovers and get people going backwards more often, it can really help the O, especially with our ability to convert on 4th and short. Would be interesting to see some offensive analyses that start when a team crosses the 50. I'd imagine we're much harder to stop in a shorter field than most.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
You guys are exactly correct, but I don't see an "average yards allowed per possession" stat anywhere, so FP differential is as close as I could get.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
I think I've said this before, but I'll say it again...

This feels like when Spurrier hired Bob Stoops in the mid 90s. Offensive juggernaut + defense that gets stops = hard team to beat.

I don't know that we'll have the immediate results that Stoops had, but I'm very optimistic. I think defense is slightly easier to implement than offense. We also have been recruiting pretty good on that side of the ball.