Dedrick Mills suspended

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I didn't say anything after the first offense.... or the second. This is the third. Does it sound like the kid is learning to you? How many chances do you give? At some point you call a spade a spade. Also, it does the kid no good at all to slap his wrist and say "don't worry about it, we all make mistakes...." How does he ever learn? As much as I hate to lose him for two games, I applaud CPJ for playing the tough parent role. Our society would be better off if more real parents did the same.

If a kid wastes his opportunity after three chances, it's on him. Losing the opportunity to get a world class degree will be its own punishment.

It seems like you're taking it way too personally. I've learned over the years it makes zero sense to get worked up over the whims of college kids. His parents, coaches, and teammates need to be on him and provide a good example. If it still doesn't get through to him, maybe he doesn't need to be around our players no matter how talented he is. Yes, I'll be disappointed to lose a talent, but I'm not losing sleep over someone who doesn't respect the opportunity he has.

The kid can still get things right and become a good example for GT. Let's hope he does for his sake.

99jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Who are these undesirables that seem to always be bad influences our SAs? Are they other SAs? If so why aren't the othe SAs getting caught? This seems to me the silliest of excuses. Someone throwing their future away to smoke weed. Just doesn't make sense to me.

I guess it is true that the frontal lobe in young men isn't fully developed until they reach the age of 24, so it makes them incapable of understanding consequences of their actions. Sad.
In Dedrick's case it started with some poor decisions of whom he chose to associate with his Senior year of high school. He made some bad choices but was also led astray by some people who were supposed to be watching out for him. I think that pattern continued once he got to campus and he sought out people that got him stuck in a similar pattern. I can't speak to the actions of any other SA's but I would guess based on my experiences as one that he is not the only one doing something he shouldn't. He is unfortunately one that got caught and has not yet learned that once you have been caught you will always draw extra scrutiny.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I look back to by days at Tech and think, cripes...I should be in jail still....if the rules now were enforced then.

In reference to 6.B.2.....we had master keys to the entire campus.....the only places we could not enter were the President's office, Bursar, and nuclear reactor building. ;)

I could get into the nuclear reactor building ...... but not much there to mess with. Only a test reactor........ could get to neutron sources without a key ........

Keys to the Chem E building were useful for dry ice ....... others would be in jail with you.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I could get into the nuclear reactor building ...... but not much there to mess with. Only a test reactor........ could get to neutron sources without a key ........

Keys to the Chem E building were useful for dry ice ....... others would be in jail with you.
I was almost jailed back then.

Animal02

Banned

We "borrowed" dry ice from the Chem E building several times. Hung a large demolition banner off the Student Center another time.