Dedrick Mills Committed to Nebraska

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date
Yeah, cause they would throw dirt on a former teamate that they continued to smoke weed around, knowing he couldn’t fail another drug test. Doesn’t make sense to me, why they would come to you with that info and nothing else.
No reason to throw dirt on anyone. Mills had a problem, and unfortunately, the school was not willing to put up with it or attempt to help him.

The Doddfather

Jolly Good Fellow
No reason to throw dirt on anyone. Mills had a problem, and unfortunately, the school was not willing to put up with it or attempt to help him.
Are we sure the school didn’t try to help him? I know he was given multiple chances, and the result ended the same. DM was a very polite guy the only time I met him, but I can’t speak to anything other than that instance. Apparently he made some bad choices, but who are we to judge? And I can’t say that the school was at fault or didn’t grant any mercy.

Are we sure the school didn’t try to help him? I know he was given multiple chances, and the result ended the same. DM was a very polite guy the only time I met him, but I can’t speak to anything other than that instance. Apparently he made some bad choices, but who are we to judge? And I can’t say that the school was at fault or didn’t grant any mercy.
All I know is that the SCHOOL had the 3-strikes policy, which I understand is no longer in place, and they were inflexible. Whether they actually tried to help him, I don't know. From everything I have read, I think he is a very good kid, but he made some bad choices. I hope that is all behind him now and that he goes to Nebraska and turns heads

The Doddfather

Jolly Good Fellow
All I know is that the SCHOOL had the 3-strikes policy, which I understand is no longer in place, and they were inflexible. Whether they actually tried to help him, I don't know. From everything I have read, I think he is a very good kid, but he made some bad choices. I hope that is all behind him now and that he goes to Nebraska and turns heads
You made the statement that the school was not willing to help him. I’m just not sure that’s accurate, and I don’t know if you know that to be true either. They have a policy in place, but I don’t know what their steps are to help. Not sure that any of us have that information.

bos

Helluva Engineer
Just saw Mills is a 4* on rivals, rated higher than any player in GT class. What a beast, rooting for him. He's got an NFL skillset if he can stay out of trouble.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I work as mentor in military court.
U would be amazed how many of them do great in programs( AA, Anger, etc) but get and never pay parking tickets. The c program is in phases - by 4 the light goes = oh! I am to be responsible for getting better in ALL areas.

In phase 1 my job for my guy is to check if he is going to programs- guess I need to mention tickets and ask if he thinks should tell the judge

Good luck D

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

This is the drug policy on the website:

https://ramblinwreck.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/SA-Planner-SA-Alcohol-and-Drug-Program-Final.pdf

The policy states that for first offense, the athlete must have discussions with multiple people; head coach, athletic director, athletic trainer, team physician, etc. The AD will contact the athletes parents. The athlete must undergo a substance abuse assessment and follow any requirements set forth from that assessment. The athlete will then be subject to follow up testing.

Under the drug policy, the second and third offense are treated the same. There is a one-time fall back -first to zero -second to first if the athlete goes 9 months without a positive test result.

The athlete code of conduct:

https://ramblinwreck.com/wp-content...ner-Student-Athlete-Code-of-Conduct-Final.pdf

Calls for a 20% of the season suspension for a second positive result and an "Immediate and permanent suspension from the associated team and all athletically related activities" for the third positive result. That permanent suspension is written clearly and directly in the policy. If they don't follow that, then the entire code of conduct is worthless. If the athletic association wants to be able to not comply with that, then the policy should be changed instead of ignored.(I don't know if it has been changed and not updated on the website as of yet.)

If the policy has been updated, the updated policy is not posted. The, maybe old, policy does/did include intervention. On the first and second offense, the athlete had to: Discuss the results with coach, AD, physician, ... , Submit to a drug addiction assessment, and complete any requirements of that assessment such as rehab, : in order to stay on the team. It appears to me that the athletic department does indeed try to help the athletes when they have one or two(or three if they use the fall back) positive test result.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
This is the drug policy on the website:

https://ramblinwreck.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/SA-Planner-SA-Alcohol-and-Drug-Program-Final.pdf

The policy states that for first offense, the athlete must have discussions with multiple people; head coach, athletic director, athletic trainer, team physician, etc. The AD will contact the athletes parents. The athlete must undergo a substance abuse assessment and follow any requirements set forth from that assessment. The athlete will then be subject to follow up testing.

Under the drug policy, the second and third offense are treated the same. There is a one-time fall back -first to zero -second to first if the athlete goes 9 months without a positive test result.

The athlete code of conduct:

https://ramblinwreck.com/wp-content...ner-Student-Athlete-Code-of-Conduct-Final.pdf

Calls for a 20% of the season suspension for a second positive result and an "Immediate and permanent suspension from the associated team and all athletically related activities" for the third positive result. That permanent suspension is written clearly and directly in the policy. If they don't follow that, then the entire code of conduct is worthless. If the athletic association wants to be able to not comply with that, then the policy should be changed instead of ignored.(I don't know if it has been changed and not updated on the website as of yet.)

If the policy has been updated, the updated policy is not posted. The, maybe old, policy does/did include intervention. On the first and second offense, the athlete had to: Discuss the results with coach, AD, physician, ... , Submit to a drug addiction assessment, and complete any requirements of that assessment such as rehab, : in order to stay on the team. It appears to me that the athletic department does indeed try to help the athletes when they have one or two(or three if they use the fall back) positive test result.

That’s the new policy...the “fall back” didn’t exist when Dedrick was here, and it was put in as basically a direct response to him getting kicked out. I don’t know exactly what the support structure used to be under the old rules, but there was definitely some sort of assistance once you were in the program. I wish Dedrick all the best getting (and staying) in Nebraska and hope he tears it up there like I expect him to.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Am I the only one here who thinks its ridiculous to kick someone out for using a product that is increasingly more and more legal?

No, you are probably NOT in the minority. I support the school's decision and am glad we don't turn a blind eye to illegal activities, no matter what our opinions on the topic are. A lot of people think it is OK to pay players. I don't want us to do that either. I agree with Reggie B...at some point, it IS just a game after all.