Debate it!!!

In a match-up between 2 recent Georgia Tech football teams, which would win: 2009 or 2014?

• The 2009 Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets

Votes: 17 19.8%
  • The 2014 Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets

Votes: 69 80.2%

• Total voters

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Boomer, you just hit upon one of the perils of being a sidewalk type Tech fan (like you and me), these guys such as Techster and 87 can absolutely run data in their heads that take liberal arts dudes like me a week to understand. Do what I do, nod your head sagely and all will be well.
Uhh? I am a TECH grad fwiw (haha). No sidewalk fan here. Mechanical Engineer and varsity athlete. With all that said, I still don't understand FEI, mostly because I haven't taken the time to process it. No worries.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Assuming MJ wins the job, it'll be real interesting seeing what wrinkles CPJ has in store for UT who has watched and studied the VT game like it's the Bible.
Athletic cut and pull blocking in first half to get them confused and then more power blocking(sham) in the second half. Return of 2014!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
2009 Defense would've had a field day. Also who on the 2014 Roster stops Thomas, and don't say DJ White.
That's probably true. If that team had a QB who could reliably get him the ball. Nesbitt too often threw the ball like the umpire advised pitching to Ted Williams: high, and behind him.

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm not sure the 09 team was overconfident, but possibly so. People forget that punk tarhole NCAA investigator was on campus the weeks prior to the uGa game interviewing DT and Burnette, I'm sure that had a "focus" effect on the team as a whole and the coach's as well. The way that whole ordeal went down still steams me.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Uhh? I am a TECH grad fwiw (haha). No sidewalk fan here. Mechanical Engineer and varsity athlete. With all that said, I still don't understand FEI, mostly because I haven't taken the time to process it. No worries.
Now I have really stepped into it! Mechanical Engineer is it? Well, congrats. I just assumed from other stuff you wrote that you were a teacher of some kind, like me. And a varsity athlete! Seems I already knew that but for some reason thought it was not at Tech. A thousand apologies. Now about that counter dive....

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think you are thinking of 08. Which was an absolute blast, at home, with the space station flying over at game time, with not one, but two GT grads on board, IIRC. 09 lost rather convincingly at Miami, I think 31-17? And it wasn't that close.
Beat me to it.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
I think you are thinking of 08. Which was an absolute blast, at home, with the space station flying over at game time, with not one, but two GT grads on board, IIRC. 09 lost rather convincingly at Miami, I think 31-17? And it wasn't that close.
Sorry yes...never seen tech play better...

northgajacket

Banned
I'm not sure the 09 team was overconfident, but possibly so. People forget that punk tarhole NCAA investigator was on campus the weeks prior to the uGa game interviewing DT and Burnette, I'm sure that had a "focus" effect on the team as a whole and the coach's as well. The way that whole ordeal went down still steams me.

I actually did not know that. Thanks for the info. Yeah I guess the NCAA was worried about a Non perennial contender being in the top 5 and needed to come up with a distraction. That crap was the biggest BS I had ever heard.

Like the late Jerry Tarkanian said: "The NCAA was so mad at Kentucky for breaking rules, they put Western Kentucky on probation." meaning the NCAA will only go after those who don't make the most cash for them.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
I think it would depend on when during the season you played. The 09 team had a decent defense at the beginning of the season, and went downhill from there (CJ Spiller was MVP of the ACCCG that year when we won!). The 14 D started pretty week, and I think was top 25 Defense over the the last 4-5 games (after the UNC game).

I'm thinking the 14 team would win....