Debate it!!!

In a match-up between 2 recent Georgia Tech football teams, which would win: 2009 or 2014?

• The 2009 Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets

Votes: 17 19.8%
  • The 2014 Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets

Votes: 69 80.2%

• Total voters

GT Tennessee

Jolly Good Fellow
So, this morning I watched a video on YouTube that I'm sure many of you have seen...Josh Nesbitt Highlight video. It made me ask the question, who is better? '09 GT team vs. '14 GT football team. IMO, these are the two greatest teams CPJ has had. Each had great BBack play, great WR play, and great QB play. Nesbitt and JT are both two completely different QBs, but great ones and GT legends IMO. Based on what I saw give me the '09 squad based on defense, but it's close. This also made me realize that this highlight video featured Nesbitt craving up the VT Hokies. Do we play better against their defense with a power QB like Nesbitt and Matt Jordan? You decide

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
If '09 team had beaten UGAg, win or lose the bowl game, I might say '09.

That '09 team had such stud play from JD, JfN, Baybay, DM, MJ, MB. But the '14 team (at least on O) was just such an execution machine.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
If '09 team had beaten UGAg, win or lose the bowl game, I might say '09.

That '09 team had such stud play from JD, JfN, Baybay, DM, MJ, MB. But the '14 team (at least on O) was just such an execution machine.
MJ was gone after '08 along with Richard and Walker. DM was the only DL back from that year. '08 was also the last time we had a decent defense (statistically speaking).

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
'14.
Even if you don't consider the fact defenses and DC's had tons of experience against our O by then. Throw in that fact and it's a no brainer.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
'14.
Even if you don't consider the fact defenses and DC's had tons of experience against our O by then. Throw in that fact and it's a no brainer.
Agree that 14 was better team.
At orange bowl 09 we could not adjust against the stud dt. In last part of 14 we adjusted to what the defenses presented and the team excused the plays coach called.

As to the 14 dc had ton of expertise against our offense = msu dc had zero and was fired after the game , at fsu kelly was dc and he had been our "acting" dc before roof, Pruitt at uga was only 4 years out of being a recruiter for ala. Coach totally dominated these dc but it was in no small part due to excellent team chemistry.
In 15 defenses did everything to get the ball out of jt s hands. We had no chemistry (the call u made on plug and play at skill positions was right on). As coach said he is calling the plays but it was always something.
In 16 we added one stud (mills) & started developing chemistry. The

With all the things coach has fixed (2 ol coaches, others sending in the plays, open competition for every position, etc) and w the more athletic recruits it seems like 17 should be a combination of 09 and 14. By end of year we could be very good. It won't matter how much experience the dc has.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
As to the 14 dc had ton of expertise against our offense = msu dc had zero and was fired after the game , at fsu kelly was dc and he had been our "acting" dc before roof, Pruitt at uga was only 4 years out of being a recruiter for ala. Coach totally dominated these dc but it was in no small part due to excellent team chemistry.
In 15 defenses did everything to get the ball out of jt s hands. We had no chemistry (the call u made on plug and play at skill positions was right on). As coach said he is calling the plays but it was always something.
In 16 we added one stud (mills) & started developing chemistry. The
I think, from an experience standpoint, the majority of the players we faced had faced us before, many multiple times. That wasn't the case in '09. They were not only schooled in our offense, but had first hand experience defending it. Not just recognizing plays, tendencies, strategy, but more importantly, technique. Our offense challenges a defenders ability to avoid cut blocking to the extreme, shed aggressive OL's, impede OL's trying to get to second level defenders, eye discipline, etc.

GTFLETCH

Banned
2014, not even close!! GIA win in Athens and an Orange Bowl Win over that AN who is starting for the Dallas Cowboys, Dak Prescott!

thebull35

Jolly Good Fellow
But the better TEAM I would go with 2014

If we are saying a one game deal, winner take all scenario, I don't think 2014 defense would get as many stops as 2009. That defense had an ELITE level talent at 2 of the 3 levels. The one thing I have noticed when the offense gets shut down is there is almost always a player on either the defensive line or the linebacker/secondary level that just causes too much havoc.

How about we get a poll going for a winner take all 2009 vs. 2014

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The way that 2014 offense played the back of half of the season, I'm not sure many teams could have stopped it in college football. That offense was just a machine. The defense wasn't great, but was a very opportunistic defense that made great adjustments the second half of games.

I would say that 2014 team was CPJ's best GT team.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
2009 better stars
2014 better team

Imofwiw

Yep. 2009 had players on defense that we have not come close to replacing. 2014 had a veteran team with outstanding leadership. 2014 also had a better offensive line to my untrained eye. Others more knowledgeable may wish to comment. Both of them are among the great Tech teams of the past 50 years or so. If I had to choose, I would go with 2014 because they beat UGA and won the bowl game in such dramatic fashion. Also, 2014 beat Miami which is always an attention grabber for me. (Did 2009 also beat Miami? can't remember but if they did it is a feather in their cap as well) Forgot that 2009 we had lost Darryl Richards and Vance from the defensive line as well as Michael Johnson. If you could combine the offense from 2014 with the defense from 2008 boy howdy we would be cooking then.

Last edited:

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yep. 2009 had players on defense that we have not come close to replacing. 2014 had a veteran team with outstanding leadership. 2014 also had a better offensive line to my untrained eye. Others more knowledgeable may wish to comment. Both of them are among the great Tech teams of the past 50 years or so. If I had to choose, I would go with 2014 because they beat UGA and won the bowl game in such dramatic fashion. Also, 2014 beat Miami which is always an attention grabber for me. (Did 2009 also beat Miami? can't remember but if they did it is a feather in their cap as well) Forgot that 2009 we had lost Darryl Richards and Vance from the defensive line as well as Michael Johnson. If you could combine the offense from 2014 with the defense from 2008 boy howdy we would be cooking then.

2009 team lost to Miami. 31-17, I think.

2009 and 2014 Different teams. 2009 a lot of power with a better defense. 2014 a larger number of better players. Also if you are judging 2009 because of the Georgia game, if Bey Bey doesn't drop that pass we probably score and win. Just like if we don't intercept in 2014 in OT. And one other feather for 2009.....They were ACC champs.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
2014. "They just can't stop it folks".

I'm not so sure the 2009 defense was that darned good. I remember UGAg gashing us with the run something crazy. Am I wrong?
I was probably more disappointed with the outcome of the 2009 version of COFH than any other. I really thought we were the better team that year and then they just decided to ram it down our throats. Aaaaargh! FFWD to Iowa and....... ouch.

The 2014 Jackets D E S T RO Y E D UGAg. The only thing that made it even close was the refs with the BS "no whistle" play down at the goal line. Reverse the outcome of that single play and you get my drift. In 2014 MSST was ranked 1 or 2 for what?, half the season? They were our "Bee-otch" that night in Miami.

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
Another thing, I really miss Dennis Andrews. Fantastic blocker, just watch the Orange Bowl for evidence. Also very good ball carrier, wish he got more touches; A-Back was so stacked with Perkins, Hill, Bostic, Zenon, there werent many carries there.