Debate it!!!

In a match-up between 2 recent Georgia Tech football teams, which would win: 2009 or 2014?

• The 2009 Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets

Votes: 17 19.8%
  • The 2014 Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets

Votes: 69 80.2%

• Total voters

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Just for poops & laughs:

2009 FEI:
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/fei2009

Overall - 5 (0.236)
Offense - 2 (0.658)
Defense - 51 (0.050)
Special Teams - 44
SOS - 9

2014 FEI:
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/fei2014

Overall - 5 (0.248)
Offense - 2 (1.46)
Defense - 76 (0.14)
Special Teams - 38
SOS - 10

Based on FEI, the 2009 teams gets a very slim nod ahead of the 2014 team, and you can attribute that to defense (cue the Roof detractors). Pretty evenly matched teams which is kinda surprising to me.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Just for poops & laughs:

2009 FEI:
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/fei2009

Overall - 5 (0.236)
Offense - 2 (0.658)
Defense - 51 (0.050)
Special Teams - 44
SOS - 9

2014 FEI:
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/fei2014

Overall - 5 (0.248)
Offense - 2 (1.46)
Defense - 76 (0.14)
Special Teams - 38
SOS - 10

Based on FEI, the 2009 teams gets a very slim nod ahead of the 2014 team, and you can attribute that to defense (cue the Roof detractors). Pretty evenly matched teams which is kinda surprising to me.

Look at the raw FEI and not just the ranking.

Yjacket82

Georgia Tech Fan
2009 and 2014 Different teams. 2009 a lot of power with a better defense. 2014 a larger number of better players. Also if you are judging 2009 because of the Georgia game, if Bey Bey doesn't drop that pass we probably score and win. Just like if we don't intercept in 2014 in OT. And one other feather for 2009.....They were ACC champs.

True, but if the dirty play doesn't tear Smelter's ACL, we would probably add victory over FSU to the 2014 resume.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't understand FEI stats (don't bother explaining), but if .658 was number 2 in 2009, how could 1.46 not be considered absolutely amazing in 2014? If memory serves, the 2014 offense had the best rating of any offense in the history of the efficiency stats. They had to go revise the formula after that season just to ensure GT wouldn't dominate the stat for the next decade.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
I don't understand FEI stats (don't bother explaining), but if .658 was number 2 in 2009, how could 1.46 not be considered absolutely amazing in 2014? If memory serves, the 2014 offense had the best rating of any offense in the history of the efficiency stats. They had to go revise the formula after that season just to ensure GT wouldn't dominate the stat for the next decade.
Exactly. We were so damned good in 2014 that we broke the original FEI metric.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
2014. "They just can't stop it folks".

I'm not so sure the 2009 defense was that darned good. I remember UGAg gashing us with the run something crazy. Am I wrong?
I was probably more disappointed with the outcome of the 2009 version of COFH than any other. I really thought we were the better team that year and then they just decided to ram it down our throats. Aaaaargh! FFWD to Iowa and....... ouch.

The 2014 Jackets D E S T RO Y E D UGAg. The only thing that made it even close was the refs with the BS "no whistle" play down at the goal line. Reverse the outcome of that single play and you get my drift. In 2014 MSST was ranked 1 or 2 for what?, half the season? They were our "Bee-otch" that night in Miami.

Yes, you are right UGA gashed us with the power running game. Still should have beaten them. 9 times out of 10 Bey Bey catches that pass and we go on to score. 2014 team was a very different team at the end of the season than at the beginning. I am not sure that I have ever seen a Tech team improve so much down the stretch as that team did. The whiteout game with Miami was a major turning point for that team as it gave them confidence in front of a national TV audience.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Another thing, I really miss Dennis Andrews. Fantastic blocker, just watch the Orange Bowl for evidence. Also very good ball carrier, wish he got more touches; A-Back was so stacked with Perkins, Hill, Bostic, Zenon, there werent many carries there.

The A Backs were an outstanding group. If you have time check out the commentary from Brock Huard during the Miami game: "If there is a better perimeter blocking team in America I would like to see it" Several times he remarked on the sacrificial nature of the offense and how the A Backs and receivers would make the blocks needed to spring a teammate for a long run. That kind of praise on national TV is worth its weight in gold.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Look at the raw FEI and not just the ranking.

What's interesting is no teams before 2014 had an FEI (offense or defense) above 1.0. Starting in 2014, SEVEN teams had an OFEI over 1.0...GT was #2 in OFEI behind Oregon. 2015, FIVE teams had an OFEI over 1.0. 2016, SIX teams had an OFEI of 1.0 or better.

Wonder if they tweaked the formula starting in 2014.

Jacket4Life9

Jolly Good Fellow
2014. As much as i agree that we didn't have the star power in '14, we were a better team that year. The 2009 defense, even with DM and MB, was awful. It's unreal that we climbed all the way up to #7 in the polls going into the last game of the season with that defense. We won a lot of close games, with a number of them being games where we just outscored the other opponent rather than actually ever stopping them. I think there was at least one game where neither us nor the other team punted. '14's defense was far from all-star level, but it was "opportunistic" as we like to say

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
What's interesting is no teams before 2014 had an FEI (offense or defense) above 1.0. Starting in 2014, SEVEN teams had an OFEI over 1.0...GT was #2 in OFEI behind Oregon. 2015, FIVE teams had an OFEI over 1.0. 2016, SIX teams had an OFEI of 1.0 or better.

Wonder if they tweaked the formula starting in 2014.
I know they tweaked it after the 2014 season and went back and recalculated the 2014 season. Before the new formula GT 2014 offense had the highest one since they had been tracking it. I don't know if they went back and did previous seasons.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

Boomer, you just hit upon one of the perils of being a sidewalk type Tech fan (like you and me), these guys such as Techster and 87 can absolutely run data in their heads that take liberal arts dudes like me a week to understand. Do what I do, nod your head sagely and all will be well.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Boomer, you just hit upon one of the perils of being a sidewalk type Tech fan (like you and me), these guys such as Techster and 87 can absolutely run data in their heads that take liberal arts dudes like me a week to understand. Do what I do, nod your head sagely and all will be well.

LOL...you're giving me way too much credit. I'm just good at looking up numbers and pasting them on here for you guys.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
If we're considering the entire year than probably 2009. 2014 was pretty mediocre the first half.
If we're just talking about at the best then probably 2014, although I think it really comes down to whether 14 can force turnovers.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If we're considering the entire year than probably 2009. 2014 was pretty mediocre the first half.
If we're just talking about at the best then probably 2014, although I think it really comes down to whether 14 can force turnovers.

That 2009 team was GREAT at ball control. That's the debate we should be having. Would the 2014 team get the ball back from the 2009 team? I believe "death march" originated with the 2009 team. You were NOT stopping Josh Nesbitt on 3rd and 4th downs in short yardage situations.

Personally, I liked the overall offense of 2014. It was a better passing team, and JeT was explosive from the QB position. We didn't have a Dwyer or Demaryius...but we did have 2 future NFL WRs, a future NFL RB, and one of the best all around QBs CPJ has had.

Fun debate to have.

link3945

Jolly Good Fellow
F/+ is their official metric, and is better at predictions. That has the 2014 at 8th (48.6%) and 2009 at 21 (28.1%). 2009 was a really good team, but 2014 was a legitimately great one. On a good night, the 2014 team could have gone toe to toe against anyone, and on a bad night could keep it close enough to give themselves a shot. I can't say the same about 2009.

thebull35

Jolly Good Fellow
Which defense is CAPABLE of making the most stops is the biggest question...because I think at some point both offenses would run up and down on both defenses.

GT Tennessee

Jolly Good Fellow
Boom, how do you feel about the argument that we handle Va Tech Defense better with a power QB ala Matt Jordan and Nesbitt because if Nesbitt doesn't break his arm against them in 2010 we win that game in Blacksburg.